Cabinet Approves 71 Million Baht For New Project

Jai Dee

The cabinet approves 71 million baht for the one district-one fertilizer plant project

The cabinet approved 71 million baht from the 2006 fiscal budget for the one district-one fertilizer plant project yesterday.

Deputy government spokesman Sansanee Nakpong (ศันสนีย์ นาคพงษ์) said 22 million baht will be provided to the Science and Technology Ministry to build 25 fertilizer plants in the Northeast and the southern border provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat.

The remaining 49 million baht will finance the construction of another 33 plants in the North, Central and Eastern regions under the supervision of the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry, Ms. Sansanee said.

Ms. Sansanee said the project aims to set up a fertilizer plant in each of the 800 districts nationwide within 2008, adding that 332 plants have already been built.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 May 2006

and nothing for anyone south of bangkok, north of the deep south.

About the only true thing this guy has ever said is when he let the voters know only regions that voted TRT would get handouts.

one district-one fertilizer plant

:o

good lordy, they LOVE that catch phrase....what's the next one???...

=========

switching to serious mode:

Am I the only one concerned about the environmental impact of an additional 800 fertilizer plants????...

:D

Edited by sriracha john

Given that fertilizer is made from petrochemical products and with oil at about US$70 / barrel and predicted to higher is this the best use of the rescources? :o

Now think about the enviromnetal impact of the plants and the carefull disposal of the waste products that will follw the manufacturing process.

Am I the only one concerned about the environmental impact of an additional 800 fertilizer plants????...

:D

relax - this is just a bit of spin that really means the government representitives will actullay spend some time in the district they represent for a 1 mill baht bonus - the side effect will be a local fertiliser factory...... :o

Given that fertilizer is made from petrochemical products and with oil at about US$70 / barrel and predicted to higher is this the best use of the rescources? :o

Now think about the enviromnetal impact of the plants and the carefull disposal of the waste products that will follw the manufacturing process.

I would doubt very much that this is the case given the budget they have. One Urea plant would cost more than the whole budget.

Probably they are the small environmental friendly (almost) units that they feed plants, trees, paper and the like into.

I would doubt very much that this is the case given the budget they have. One Urea plant would cost more than the whole budget.

Probably they are the small environmental friendly (almost) units that they feed plants, trees, paper and the like into.

Sheesh... that IS an expensive fertilizer plant... all that and just for urine???!!!?? :D

Surely this government can, without difficulty, generate tons of manure...heck, just from their speeches alone they get barrel-fulls. So why not have them contribute some cheap urine, too?

Sheesh... that IS an expensive fertilizer plant... all that and just for urine???!!!?? :o

Surely this government can, without difficulty, generate tons of manure...heck, just from their speeches alone they get barrel-fulls. So why not have them contribute some cheap urine, too?

There is a ready supply in most towns, bars and bus terminals. :D

If these plants are for the generation of natural fertilisers,

more commonly known as manure or compost, then it is a good idea.

However as others have said, chemical fertilisers are expensive and dangerous and to be avoided if possible.

Let's make Thailand Organic!! :o

Sheesh... that IS an expensive fertilizer plant... all that and just for urine???!!!?? :D

...... and bus terminals. :D

:o

My Lao/Thai nephew up in the north only grows rice for the family these days. He has switched to sugarcane as a cash crop. He told me he can double his yield using chemical fertilizer. Thats good for him and his family.

We in the west have had the luxury of fertilizers for for decades. It has increased our productivity immensely. I don't see why anyone should not want to see the poor rural Thais gain some of the advantages we have had to improve our living standards.

My uncle grows canola. He was part of a scheme that looked at the cost benefit of using different amounts of fertilizers for their crop. A number of farmers in the district used different amounts of fertilizer for differing returns.

His summary was that the improved yeild basicly paid for the extra fertilizer used. He now uses a lot less fertilizer and feels a lot better about the soil.