Not all results will be announced by tomorrow night, poll officials say

webfact

Not all results will be announced by tomorrow night, poll officials say
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Not all election results will be announced or known by the end of tomorrow, election officials have said.

Ballots for party-list MPs and constituency MPs will be counted at each polling booth that manages to open and close at 3pm. However, if polling stations are forced to close before 3pm due to anti-government protests, ballots will not be counted.

The results of the count at polling stations able to stay open until 3pm will then be amalgamated to find out the winner of the constituency.

Under normal procedures, the votes from each of polling station in the 375 constituencies are counted and then announced later. But in this election procedures will differ, as it is anticipated that a number of polling stations are likely to be disrupted by anti-government protests.

In addition, around 2 million voters failed to cast votes last Sunday during advance voting. As a result, a re-run for advance voting will take place on February 23 and some constituencies will have to wait for those results before all their votes can be tallied.

The 125 winning party-list MPs will be announced once all votes from the approximately 99,000 polling stations have been counted.

The vote count from each polling station will provide information as to how many votes each candidate gets, which party has taken the lead in the party-list system, the number of ballots in which the "none of the above" box - or "no vote" - was chosen, the number of valid and invalid ballots, and the overall voter turnout.

Political parties, who joined the race, will also send observers to report the vote count back to their parties.

During the day, the Election Commission will provide updates on which polling stations remain open and which are forced to close, as well as the polling stations where ballots can be counted - although the vote count will not be announced until all votes are in.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-01

I thought they said they were going to hold announcing poll results until after the 23rd and second round of advance voting, which is no longer advance but after the fact polling.... meh what a farce facepalm.gif

You beat me to it, and here is the post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/700594-election-commission-sets-feb-23-for-new-round-of-advance-election/#entry7367471

Edited by Mosha

I would have thought no results can be announced Sunday as the advance voting is not finished. Doing so means that new advanced votes could be influenced be what results show up Sunday. That could invalidate the result. Once they realise this error, I'm sure no results will be announced tomorrow.

• Like 1

I would have thought no results can be announced Sunday as the advance voting is not finished. Doing so means that new advanced votes could be influenced be what results show up Sunday. That could invalidate the result. Once they realise this error, I'm sure no results will be announced tomorrow.

So,,, election officials have no clue as to how to officiate an election ? .......facepalm.gifIts at least consistent with the rest of the Circus ill say that.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

If I was Thai I would not know who to vote for,as I have

never heard any party put their polices forward,if its just

going to be more populist polices ,Thailand is heading

for financial ruin as the corruption is never going to end.

regards Worgeordie

Normaly all votes must be done, before they can given any results. If they do it against this rule, it will manipulate they who have to vote if they know the results. Then, election would be nullified...Thats why a election normaly done in one day. I think after all irregular circumstances in this election, courts have only one choose, nullifying...whistling.gifcheesy.gif

What happen next...

• Like 1

a complete farce its a joke no one can consider this election valid

but you have to cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It will be as valid as it is possible to make it. If there are flaws they will be because of the undemocratic protesters who must not be allowed to derail the process.

Great news! By tomorrow night we'll know who the next government of Thailand is going to be, with just some loose-end constituencies to be tidied up.

unfortunately there will not be enough winners to convene a government

never mind

• Like 1

It will be as valid as it is possible to make it. If there are flaws they will be because of the undemocratic protesters who must not be allowed to derail the process.

It is the democratic foundations that ensure Rule Of Law that make up a democracy. There will will always be those who would try to usurp that authority. Elections are a farce if no Rule Of Law exists. If the government cannot maintain rule of law it is certainly not a democracy and really not much of a government either. More like a criminal cabal.

This election is costing millions of baht the country can ill afford to hold another one let us hope all will go well and those who do vote can vote without intimidation the south is I would presume Suthep followers so it makes no sense to cause disruption after all as they failed as a party to register then I would imagine those polling stations would be not well attended I for one will be glad when Monday morning arrives maybe just maybe the misguided flock of Suthep who promised millions on the streets will realise that the man was just a dreamer let the people vote for who they want in power that is there right having an unelected people council is three steps backwards.

worgeordie, on 01 Feb 2014 - 08:50, said:

If I was Thai I would not know who to vote for,as I have

never heard any party put their polices forward,if its just

going to be more populist polices ,Thailand is heading

for financial ruin as the corruption is never going to end.

regards Worgeordie

If I was Thai I wouldn't have a problem at all as to who to vote for.

Either you vote or you don't vote.

There is only one party to vote for so if you don't support them you just abstain.

Simples coffee1.gif

Any announcement of results before the whole election is finished and all votes cast will nullify the result and thus the election.

If this report is accurate, it would appear that 'someone' is going for broke to declare themselves the winners, whatever the result, forcing a confrontation with the Constitutional Court and the constitution. Considering the apparent lack of election officials, massive police presence and mobilisation of UDD to 'protect' the election, 'irregularities' are looking more likely.

It's a pity because, considering all the provinces where rice farmers haven't been paid, I don't think Pheu Thai would be able to get much more than 25% of the eligible voters this time.

Hold on to your hats! It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

So,,, election officials have no clue as to how to officiate an election ? .......facepalm.gifIts at least consistent with the rest of the Circus ill say that.

Why is it that my first thought after reading the headline was: ...leaves a lot room for speculation and manipulation

Great news! By tomorrow night we'll know who the next government of Thailand is going to be, with just some loose-end constituencies to be tidied up.

Yes. About a hundred of them.

No worries. That's just tidying up. We'll soon know beyond doubt who the next elected government is going to be and they can make a start on tackling the corruption in the EC and CC.

Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts

Wonder how much bahtering will take place with nobody watching

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thats what the observers from the political parties are there for. Since there is really no way for the lesser parties to man soo many polling stations you can be sure most of these observers will be from the PTP.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Normaly all votes must be done, before they can given any results. If they do it against this rule, it will manipulate they who have to vote if they know the results. Then, election would be nullified...Thats why a election normaly done in one day. I think after all irregular circumstances in this election, courts have only one choose, nullifying...whistling.gifcheesy.gif

What happen next...

That part of the 1997 remained in the 2007.

If an election is declared void, the caretaker government remains and new elections must be scheduled within 180 days.

It's not really a great solution though as essentially all major projects go on hold aa the ec must authorise any long term expenditure. No treaties may be reached, etc. A country in stasis.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What happen next...

That part of the 1997 remained in the 2007.

If an election is declared void, the caretaker government remains and new elections must be scheduled within 180 days.

It's not really a great solution though as essentially all major projects go on hold aa the ec must authorise any long term expenditure. No treaties may be reached, etc. A country in stasis.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh, Im not worried about this, most will be banned for disrespect constitiution in the next weeks (hope so). And then we have the political vacuum we waiting for, good...biggrin.png I think, most politicans have their own vacuum in the ball on their neck...clap2.gif

I've such a feeling that, if what is written in the OP is true, the EC is doing their utter best to get the election nullified.

It is also the only way to officially get rid of the caretaker government before the day the amnesty bill returns to the lower house, because once the election is nullified the caretaker government has no legitimacy anymore.

Edited by JesseFrank

A EC head official said they will not announce voting results until the make up advanced election is completed.

In this new article, No EC official is quoted as saying they will announce the results.

Sounds like this new article is purely speculation and mis-reporting by not citing an EC Head Person.

Doubtful the EC would dare risk invlidating the whole election.

You a source of fun everytime, thanks for this...clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

I've such a feeling that, if what is written in the OP is true, the EC is doing their utter best to get the election nullified.

It is also the only way to officially get rid of the caretaker government before the day the amnesty bill returns to the lower house, because once the election is nullified the caretaker government has no legitimacy anymore.

The caretaker government will continue to be the caretaker government until a new government can be formed after a valid election.

Sent from my phone ...

The caretaker government will continue to be the caretaker government until a new government can be formed after a valid election.

Sent from my phone ...

Didn't Thaksin lose his legal status of caretaker PM after the election he called was nullified, but just continued without a royal decree, hence why the coup happened ?