Flying a drone in Thailand

Since there are no clear regulations, common sense and responsibility should be the guiding factors. For example, IMHO, flying over people (specially crowds), traffic, and near airports is a no-no.

Personally I like to fly on the beach or over the sea thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7pbAk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Had one of those camera quads hovering just outside my condo window yesterday, then it flew to my balcony, sounded like a swarm of bees, if I had a long stick may have been tempemted to knock it down, ...saw the operator on a nearby roof top and yelled at him ... mai deee ..Lam khan !!! (I was angry) He quickly left, I think I scared him.

'Hate to even think about the consequences of knocking it down. Not even considering the reaction of the owner (assuming he was thai...), if it had landed on somebody or their vehicle or whatever, causing damage, they'd have surely tracked you down for reparations.

I wonder if those cellphone jammers you can buy here & there would work on these drones' RF link. Now THAT would be the way to knock one down.

If you get a cellphone jammer that blocks Wi-Fi too, then it would work at disabling direct control (most operate in the same 2.4GHz band), but it probably wouldn't knock it down. Most have GPS and would return to their takeoff position when they lose signal.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

If you get a cellphone jammer that blocks Wi-Fi too, then it would work at disabling direct control (most operate in the same 2.4GHz band), but it probably wouldn't knock it down. Most have GPS and would return to their takeoff position when they lose signal.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

That's the theory.

Some times it works !!!!!!!!!

Some times its time to go get new one form shop!!!!!

I have heard that they have been banned or are about to be banned in Thailand.

Two days ago, I was looking at one for sale in a local toy store.

2000 baht, camera not included, but a mount for a camera was provided.

My guess is that the seller is trying to skirt the "regulations" since the proposal does not ban drones, but bans drones with cameras (although I have serious doubts if a 2,000 THB drone could lift much of a camera)

To the poster that wonders about enforcement. They may not go out and look for violators, but if someone complains they will certainly take a look

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thread bump, as i understand until now the law on flying drones has not changed but has only been talked about,

Couple of weeks ago while in HK i lost control of my wallet and bought a dji phantom 3 complete with a hardshell backpack and 2 batteries, my only regret at the moment was not buying another couple of batteries,

I did,nt really have time to get my head around this thing until the last few days, the photography part of it i find interests me more than just buzzing the thing around, of course i spent the fist 20 mins in beginner mode and did,nt bother with the camera settings but on the second day managed to through all the intelligent flight modes, also on the second i found an answer to my battery problem...at least in this practice field,

I noticed the old lady close by has a real dodgy illegal looking electricity cable coming from a mast beside her food cart, as the first battery was empty i ran over and ate kapow moo and asked if i could put the put the battery on charge, then by the time i,ve eaten and flown the second battery empty the first one is full again,

at the moment both the dslr and gopro stay at homewink.png

Tingtongfarang:

Please tell me how you shipped your Phantom from HK to Thailand? I'm flying from the UK in 2 weeks, and have invested in a hard flight case (just under carry on dimensions). I'm hoping I dont have to check it in and carry around loose batteries with me......

If you carried it on, was it your only bag, or were you carrying a laptop case also - how did check in go ?

Sooner or later, just about the time they become capable of carrying explosives (or there are govt surveillance vehicles to ram...), I would think RC flying would make the law enforcement boys very nervous. But as vendors in Thailand seem to be hawking (i.e., flying) their battery-powered RC helicopters in just about every shopping mall nowadays, within a few feet of gawkers & shoppers, other vendor stalls, glass storefronts, displays, etc., it's difficult to imagine the cops getting truly excited about it out in the 'burbs or the country, or all but some of the more sensitive areas of the city, in Thailand. However, "neighbor relations" can turn just about any innocent activity sour, esp. where foreigners are concerned, so...

'Course, in the US, ANYthing that captures some bureaucrat's attention is cannon fodder. It's part of how they justify their existence. The FAA is certainly no exception. 'Registration right around the corner I'm sure.

Given you can buy off the shelf units with a payload of 2Kg or better you already have the potential out there to carry substantial life taking capability.

FAA now requiring registration, and violators (of flight restrictions on them) can actually be prosecuted by the FAA, even though they're not licensed (or required to be). Some good reasons for this however.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/21/2016 at 5:03 PM, Rhys said:

What is the cost?

Sorry for late reply, was abroad to see my family

The bird itself about 40'000 THB plus additional battery, plus Samsung Tab S2 for live view (works with Asus Zenfone 2 as well,  but need a larger screen to recognize all the telemetry data) and a back-bag for the bird... almost 60'000 THB.

Edited by Ular

Drone "laws" are strict on paper everywhere but people always seem to get away with them. The worst that can happen is they tell you to bring it down.

It is supposed to be that you cannot fly it above people but clearly, that isn't a problem if you look at other drone footage.

I think you'll be okay. Just don't be a complete idiot (like flying around an airport or gov building)

11 minutes ago, Andrew C said:

Drone "laws" are strict on paper everywhere but people always seem to get away with them. The worst that can happen is they tell you to bring it down.

It is supposed to be that you cannot fly it above people but clearly, that isn't a problem if you look at other drone footage.

I think you'll be okay. Just don't be a complete idiot (like flying around an airport or gov building)

an acquaintance of mine showed me a Video of his drone, when suddenly a Bangkok Air plane flew BELOW the drone on its approach to U-Tapao airport.... He told me he had shown it too Rayong police too, he was flying his drone with them as they were interested to get an aerial overview of some areas, and they only laughed when they saw it and told him "wow, your drone can fly higher than a plane".

Funny, huuuuuh ?

First crash of an airliner will cause STRICT drone-laws worldwide probably. But not before such unfortunate thing happens....