Tool and hardware shops in Bangkok

ttthailand

There is an area in Bangkok that has many shops that sell all kinds of equipment like tools, electrical parts, hardware, motors, etc etc ... What is the name of this area and best way to get there ?

I am looking for a fluke meter and some high end tools and places like home pro do not have.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The wood soi in bang sue also sells tools .

What part of bkk you in?

Fluke meters are not cheap I brought mine from Canada and it was 900cdn

If u look on the Internet there are some good tool shops but it sounds like you want good quality.

I my self have brought back from Canada many hand tool because to buy high end in Thailand cost more.

Just for curiosity can I ask are u an electrician because fluke meters and high end meters like that the average person does not buy?

And are you going in to the contracting business ?

Because higher end tools last longer and nicer to work with

I live around Ekkamai.

What would I tell a taxi to get to this area.

You could take the sky train to JJ market and the a taxi from there.

The other option is he river boat and get of at bang po pier and it is a 5 minute walk from there

I live around Ekkamai.

What would I tell a taxi to get to this area.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Central+Post+Office+Bang+Rak+Thailand&daddr=Khlong+Thom,+Thailand&hl=en&ll=13.735216,100.517521&spn=0.023721,0.036864&sll=13.725065,100.520461&sspn=0.011861,0.018432&geocode=FUx00QAdUb_9BSHSUh2yJGb9jSlTi2xV2pjiMDHSUh2yJGb9jQ%3BFQSz0QAdV6b9BSkLJGVIIpniMDG4Ez_Qg1T0kg&oq=central+post+off&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

From Saphan Taksin BTS, ask to go to Yaowarat, and when he starts right-left turns you'll see all the hardware shops get out and strart wandering.

Print a picture of what you want, get a Thai to write it out "electrician tools" would help.

Am I the first to mention Ban Moh? Near Wat Pho and blocks from the Grand Palace, it has almost everything you could want as far as parts go. Lots of hand tools, too. Even some crazy handtools I've never seen before - possibly re-purposed surgical tools. The only downside is, it's basically a sprawling marketplace so you'll most likely be walking around all day, venturing down this alley and that one, to find what you need unless you know how to ask for what you want in Thai. A few of the chips I inspected appear to have been harvested from old circuit boards, so be wary of used parts. Although to be honest, the part I ended up buying (a linear output amp chip) was clearly used and still worked fine. Map of Ban Moh area (in orange): post-140919-0-90159200-1391311439_thumb.

As always, be wary of cheap knockoffs. I bought a Chinese version of a Dremel tool which tested fairly well on the spot using my own bits, but I neglected to test it using the vendor's bits. Several of the bits weren't properly balanced and therefore were impossible to use at high RPMs. I had to spend a few hours with a hammer and vise in my shop getting them balanced.

This applies to Flukes also. There is a knockoff brand here in Thailand - I don't remember the name but they've copied the design and colors exactly. I'd avoid avoid them if I were you. I've only seen Flukes here available by special order, and quite pricey (twenty to thirty thousand baht). I have a Fluke 16 that I bought six or eight years ago in the states for around $200.

Another place is Zeer mall in Rangsit, up by Donmueang Airport. It's a cross between Pantip (lots of consumer electronics) and Ban Moh (lots of parts). I'd avoid Pantip as there were almost no vendors there selling discrete parts or test equipment. Pantip is more for the tourist looking for a gadget or e-toy.

Edited by attrayant

Am I the first to mention Ban Moh? Near Wat Pho and blocks from the Grand Palace, it has almost everything you could want as far as parts go. Lots of hand tools, too. Even some crazy handtools I've never seen before - possibly re-purposed surgical tools. The only downside is, it's basically a sprawling marketplace so you'll most likely be walking around all day, venturing down this alley and that one, to find what you need unless you know how to ask for what you want in Thai. A few of the chips I inspected appear to have been harvested from old circuit boards, so be wary of used parts. Although to be honest, the part I ended up buying (a linear output amp chip) was clearly used and still worked fine. Map of Ban Moh area (in orange): attachicon.gifban moh map.jpg

As always, be wary of cheap knockoffs. I bought a Chinese version of a Dremel tool which tested fairly well on the spot using my own bits, but I neglected to test it using the vendor's bits. Several of the bits weren't properly balanced and therefore were impossible to use at high RPMs. I had to spend a few hours with a hammer and vise in my shop getting them balanced.

This applies to Flukes also. There is a knockoff brand here in Thailand - I don't remember the name but they've copied the design and colors exactly. I'd avoid avoid them if I were you. I've only seen Flukes here available by special order, and quite pricey (twenty to thirty thousand baht). I have a Fluke 16 that I bought six or eight years ago in the states for around $200.

Another place is Zeer mall in Rangsit, up by Donmueang Airport. It's a cross between Pantip (lots of consumer electronics) and Ban Moh (lots of parts). I'd avoid Pantip as there were almost no vendors there selling discrete parts or test equipment. Pantip is more for the tourist looking for a gadget or e-toy.

You have a map link to this Ban Moh market?

My Swiss friend buys all his tools in Europe , Bosch and others have many grades of tools , even for the Pro,

Better to get them from the West if you can,

As far as getting to Chinatown you can also take the MRT to the end and walk, or take the 40 bus if the protestors are not in the way !

There are a few back streets which only have tools , at the end of Yaowarat you will see some tool shops on your right , go down those streets.

Its an interesting afternoon if its not too hot !

Am I the first to mention Ban Moh? Near Wat Pho and blocks from the Grand Palace, it has almost everything you could want as far as parts go. Lots of hand tools, too. Even some crazy handtools I've never seen before - possibly re-purposed surgical tools. The only downside is, it's basically a sprawling marketplace so you'll most likely be walking around all day, venturing down this alley and that one, to find what you need unless you know how to ask for what you want in Thai. A few of the chips I inspected appear to have been harvested from old circuit boards, so be wary of used parts. Although to be honest, the part I ended up buying (a linear output amp chip) was clearly used and still worked fine. Map of Ban Moh area (in orange): attachicon.gifban moh map.jpg

I will be checking that area out soon haven't been there but sounds like my kind of area because I like to tinker around thanks

Ban Moh .... That's the place I was looking for. I had been there years ago but could not remember name or location.

Thank you for the advise. I am aware of the knockoffs and other cheap tools. I have had a few fluke meters before and they lasted for years. Used daily and dropped and abused but kept on working, great meters !