can foreigners use a Thai nickname?

celso

Anybody here use one?

My first name is Calogero. Which of course is impossible for Thai people to say. My middle name is Salvatore, even worse.

It is funny sometimes in starbucks the look of fear from the cashier when I give my name. But it would be nice to have a name my friends can at least pronounce. Calo and Salvo also are difficult.

I'm sure other people have this also. Any "Lilith"s in Thailand? What do you do? Make a new name?

Edited by celso

They have no legal status so go ahead and adopt one and when you introduce yourself say 'My name is Calogero, nickname Boss' or whatever. Thai people wouldn't think that was at all unusual. In fact many Thais are surprised to hear that you don't have a nickname. Ask some Thais what they think would be a good nickname for you. Common ones include English words like Boat and Mob but said with a Thai accent.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Your full name wouldn't be "Calogero Joseph Salvatore Maurici" would it smile.pnghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calogero

Calogero means "beautiful old person" - so you could use that as a basis - "Loong" perhaps or "goh". (elder uncle / oler brother) or "thao" (poo thao - respected older person) smile.png

//Edit: Type

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

I have observed that when a name is not available, service personnel are content to use "hey you" .

If you insist on a name, I suggest keeping it simple. Use a letter, such as M. There are a lot of guys out there with nicknames like Beer, Golf, Nut, so don't bother with those. I used Klip for my friend's latte at the starbucks once, and it didn't go over well, especially after I pretended not to hear.. He said I was being childish. True, but I like to laugh.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I don't see why Calo would be hard to say for Thais. They have all of those sounds.

Personally, I find it annoying when people make up nick names. In china and Korea all of my students had English names, but no one outside of the class knew them.

I don't see why Calo would be hard to say for Thais. They have all of those sounds.

Personally, I find it annoying when people make up nick names. In china and Korea all of my students had English names, but no one outside of the class knew them.

Tends to be said either Kao, Klao, or Caol.

Not ending in "L" since that changes to "N" sound.

But Calo should be fine, especially if you use a full glottal stop after the Ca, so Ca-Lo.

But Thais are most comfortable with a single-syllable nickname - personally I like "Boss" and that's pretty common even among little kids.

"Benz" is another good one for status.

It is funny sometimes in starbucks the look of fear from the cashier when I give my name

You tell the cashier your name???? smile.png

They ask for it in Starbucks so they can call you when your order is ready. Worldwide. You obviously need to get out more.

Edited by Ajaan

Not at all. Many bi-cultural people have one name for when they are conversing in English vs the other language.

Even my kids call both me and their mother one name when speaking in Thai and another when speaking English.

No confusion at all.

And if using "Boss" as your Thai nickname, ignorant foreigners would assume the Thais were just being respectful 8-)

As another poster said, a one-syllable nickname is best. And keep in mind that if you do use a two-syllable nickname, Thais will always emphasize the final syllable (so "Calo" becomes "Ca-LO").

One of my students is named "Alberto," and he came up with the nickname "To" (unaspirated t at the beginning) which works fine for him both in Thailand and Cambodia...simple and easy for them to pronounce.

They are calling you Max, that's just how they pronounce it. English ending "X" is actually "K"+"S".

But ending "S" doesn't exist in Thai, just as starting a word with "NG" is very hard for many NES.

Send a fax and a FAQ have the same sound at the end, no aspiration, could call it swallowing the ending consonant.