Election Eve - any places serving?

DeanWeen

i'm just back from Soi Bo Khao, seems some of the bars that were not serving are now serving....obviously worth the risk opposed of 2 weekends in row with no sales ?

How come there are elections on again this week ? ...anyway this not selling beer is just completely mad....can someone explain how do the 2 correlate ?

i'm just back from Soi Bo Khao, seems some of the bars that were not serving are now serving....obviously worth the risk opposed of 2 weekends in row with no sales ?

How come there are elections on again this week ? ...anyway this not selling beer is just completely mad....can someone explain how do the 2 correlate ?

No alcohol sells again February 14. Makha Bucha, National Thai Holiday. BTW with the election results as they are there could be another dry Sunday real soon.

Edited by khwaibah

It's very simple really; they don't want people getting drunk and going to the polling stations intoxicated and they can't really say "ok farangs can buy alcholol but Thais cannot"

Makes sense to me really.

It's very simple really; they don't want people getting drunk and going to the polling stations intoxicated and they can't really say "ok farangs can buy alcholol but Thais cannot"

In the Philippines they have similar alcohol laws for election days, but there tourists/farangs etc are exempt (or at least they used to be when I lived there).

Now that makes sense.

I drank beer with the GF for a few hours yesterday afternoon in a public place, surrounded by lots of happy Thais openly drinking beer and whiskey, and even a few farangs on the bottle. You just have to know where to go... wink.png

Edited by Guderian

In the Philippines they have similar alcohol laws for election days, but there tourists/farangs etc are exempt (or at least they used to be when I lived there).

Now that makes sense.

Yes THAT is pretty cool.Didn't the Philipinos get angry when that haoppend? I think the Thais would.

I do think it is good ruling to try and get the Voters to obstain from getting plastered on voting days but couldn't imagine the police harrasing any farangs for drinking anywhere on these types of days.

Anyways, glad it all went pretty smooth so far.

Didn't the Philipinos get angry when that haoppend? I think the Thais would.

Thais often see affronts to their dignity where there are none. Filipinos are generally much more likely to see the sense behind such a rule, and dont seem to have the same obsession with keeping one step in front of foreigners at all times. You dont see much in the way of dual-pricing in the RP for example, yet here it is quite common and officially sanctioned.

I think the original alcohol-election ban in the RP was acquired from the USA where it is still applied in some states, and used to be even more common as far as I know. Makes sense in places where people are likely to get agitated about elections.

• Like 1