fatal collosion between car and bike

BigC

one of the most dangerous road sections is that between the Plai Laem market and ~Petcharat Marina on Bangrak, especially coming from that market. Traffic jams are before and after that long road section, because of the piers on both sides and the market and the crossroad to the airport. Many drivers rush there because they are unconsciously upset of the jam before, impatient and in a hurry to bring tourists to the ferries, the airport or from the airport to hotels on Samuis North coast or bring fresh food from/to the market etc. So they drive at that stretch as quick as possible and for that they have to accelerate as much as possible with little tolerance for others who e.g. like to cross the street.

You can realize that perfectly, if you want to drive from that road behind the runway on that open piece of land not to far from the Mermaid restaurant to the right, direction market. You see cars and motorcycles from far, ~Tesco Lotus Express, accelerating to, I would say, often almost 80-100 km/h at the moment they pass by, and I can imagine, if someone has not that routine or is careless, he tries to cross before the other, who is entirely accelerating at that moment, drives by.........................

• Like 2

is this the accident with the car and then 10 ton water truck runs over the deceased?

rumour has it that the deceased is a local who constantly likes[liked] to do wheelies along this stretch of road and was a total nuisance

if so [if so] then sayings like [live by the sword, die by the sword come to mind ]

is this the accident with the car and then 10 ton water truck runs over the deceased?

rumour has it that the deceased is a local who constantly likes[liked] to do wheelies along this stretch of road and was a total nuisance

if so [if so] then sayings like [live by the sword, die by the sword come to mind ]

He was on a bike and hit a lorry

If he was at fault or not anyone seeing their son in that way is not something that I would wish on anyone

How many people cannot say they did not love dangerously at 17 years old

I don't know who's fault it was but I know there are some very very upset family members so bit of respect is needed

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sad indeed, ^

One needs to watch out for people opening car doors, without checking first to see if anything coming, I have seen three farangs doing this, in last few days.... sad.png

always watching out for this type, try to stay to the left AMAP because of people overtaking on opposite side of road

but still gotta be weary for opening doors as people just open without looking, and you're right more foreigners than not

I've just had a 2 week wonder on a chicken-chaser flick me the bird after a routine & perfectly safe overtaking manouver near Maenam post office; no lights, helmet, licence or insurance & in his 20's. If anyone recognizes this description & knows the person concerned please advise him what the consequences might have been. I caught everything on dashcam but haven't bothered to upload.

He later turned into one of the Soi's on the other side of the road.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

You were probably tailgaiting him, like everyone does to motorbikes. In fact, not tailgaiting closely enough seems to be the most serious crime in Samui. Drivers will get very irritated if you try to leave 20 foot of distance between yourself and the car in front, and will always attempt to overtake you so they can tailgate the car themselves.

• Like 1

Sad indeed, ^

One needs to watch out for people opening car doors, without checking first to see if anything coming, I have seen three farangs doing this, in last few days.... sad.png

Saw that first hand when I was there in January, but it was a taxi driver not looking and opened his door on the narrow 2 way section in South Chaweng. Japanese tourist on the bike grabbed the brakes, swerved but hit it still. Passenger on the back went flying forwards onto the road. Luckily wearing a helmut and there was no oncoming traffic as she spilled across the road. Scraped and bruised, a lucky escape for both.

Sad indeed, ^

Saw that first hand when I was there in January, but it was a taxi driver not looking and opened his door on the narrow 2 way section in South Chaweng. Japanese tourist on the bike grabbed the brakes, swerved but hit it still. Passenger on the back went flying forwards onto the road. Luckily wearing a helmut and there was no oncoming traffic as she spilled across the road. Scraped and bruised, a lucky escape for both.

They must have had to pay the taxi driver a fortune.

Sad indeed, ^

They must have had to pay the taxi driver a fortune.

don,t be silly carmine, the taxi driver would know it was his fault, and say sorry to the tourist

• Like 1

I drove by this driveway today, it's quite steep coming up to the main road...

So the back end of this vehicle would have been pointing upwards, making it hard to see anything, and I would imagine would have had to step on the gas, to get up...

There looked like plenty of room below to turn around and drive up safely... sad.png

• Like 1