UK and Australia urge citizens to be cautious

Lite Beer

THAI POLITICS
UK and Australia urge citizens to be cautious
The Sunday Nation

30225794-01_big.gif

An anti-government protester inspects bullet holes in the window of his fellow protester

BANGKOK: -- Britain and Australia have warned their nationals in Bangkok to exercise a high degree of caution due to the possibility of violence, as Thais go to the polls today.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) of the United Kingdom has urged Britons to stay in door, take extra care, and avoid all protests.

"On February 2, there are likely to be protests at polling locations and some of these could turn violent. Be alert to the situation, avoid all protests, and if you're in any doubt about your safety on February 2, stay in your accommodation," the agency advised.

The FCO has updated its advice following further violence after advance voting on January 26, according to a report on the Travel and Tour World website.

Australia, meanwhile, also has advised its citizens to avoid all polling places, political rallies and protest activities in the election period.

"You should be aware of the potential for confrontation between groups of protesters, and between protesters and members of the security forces. We advise Australians to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand due to the possibility of civil unrest and the threat of terrorist attack," said a warning on the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Smart Traveller website.

It said that confrontations and violent incidents continue to be reported at protest locations in Bangkok. The security environment remains volatile at this time, particularly in Bangkok and surrounding areas.

The report noted the use of hand grenades against protesters, attacks during the day in busy public areas around protest sites in central Bangkok and when protesters moved around the city.

"A number of shootings and attacks using hand-grenades and other explosive devices have been reported around protest locations in Bangkok. Since November 30, 2013, incidents associated with the protests have resulted in a number of deaths and hundreds of injuries. Further indiscriminate attacks are likely," it said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-02

Triffic, thanks for the advice! Could never have come up with such a master plan by myself, good job the British government has my best interests taken care of.

clap2.gif Exactly and if any tourist in Bangkok has to be warned to stay safe today they must be real idiots. I'll double that for anyone who decides to go out ' rubber necking ' and what's the bet there will be some that will ?

• Like 2

Triffic, thanks for the advice! Could never have come up with such a master plan by myself, good job the British government has my best interests taken care of.

clap2.gif Exactly and if any tourist in Bangkok has to be warned to stay safe today they must be real idiots. I'll double that for anyone who decides to go out ' rubber necking ' and what's the bet there will be some that will ?

Stupid is what stupid does kid, there's a fair to middling chance some <deleted> wits will be out in the middle of it.

To make matters worse in order to keep me indoors as advised by my embassy the Bangkok Post publish the exact same crossword as last Saturday. There is obviously some red mole in the Bangkok Post offices.

It was Thaskin just making sure you notice the change

here in koh chang,the russians are not happy,saw some trying to buy beer in a shop before,they were refused,much head scratching,one girl spoke english ,i told her no alcohol today because of the election,she replied'what election, we are russian", i smirked and told her i got a load of beer in yesterday,but i did kinda see her point,why can tourists or expats not buy beer,were not gonna vote anyway.

• Like 1

So for Brits it's put the kettle on and Aussies fire up the barbie is it?

We could always meet up with the Aussies somewhere away from the madding crowd and have a game of cricket.

Or perhaps not........... sad.png

Please do meet up for a game.. You could make headlines if you won !!

• Like 2

So for Brits it's put the kettle on and Aussies fire up the barbie is it?

We could always meet up with the Aussies somewhere away from the madding crowd and have a game of cricket.

Or perhaps not........... sad.png

Nah we would beat ya ass off AGAIN!