Trip Report: Chiang Mai Immigration for a Teaching Visa

For those who just want the facts.: Here is a Timeline Summary

Time line
6:05 arrive at the office, got the last chair by the office door, WHEW!whistling.gif
7:30 Doors open and receive a BIG queue number card (I'm #14! thumbsup.gif ) and are allowed to enter the office
7:50 Receive the actual queue number for services (I'm number 204, #4 in this queue, w00t.gif )
8:30 office officially opens and services starts
8:50 my number is called
9:00 I'm finished and is told to wait
9:30 my passport is returned
DONE!!!

A friend suggested that I get there early. So I fit there early Monday morning. Like 6 am. blink.png

I acrually got there around 5 after 6 and it looked like there were people who may have slept there to be early in line. I snagged the last chair in the waiting area in front of the entrance door. (next time, shoot for 5:30)

Ug. I got 2.5 hours of waiting before the door opens!! facepalm.gif

Surprisingly the door opens at 7.30 or so. As we go in, we are given a queue care and mine read #14. :)

My number is called at about 10 till 8. I go up and explain why I'm there. I'm given a second queue number, this one of the standard machine dispensed variety. This one is marked #204 :)

They start calling people up by various needs at 8:30, the posted opening hours for the office.

My number is called at about 8:50. I present my paperwork and submit the required funds. My passport is stamped and I'm told to wait a bit. At 9:30 my name is called and I receive my passport back and I'm good to go.

The most painless experience at Thai immigration yet!!!

There were a couple of hiccups like my dumba$$ forgetting to take my physical address with me, but the thai official worked with me and using my smart phone, brought up a map and he figured out what the address should be. Hats off and much kudos to the incredible patience the officials had at that office. Unfortunately the behavior of some of my fellow expats in the office were simply embarrassing!

And thanks to some of the more seasoned expats i met there who gave me intel on where to get a good burger and Mexican food. Chiang Mai isnt half bad! :D

There certainly is no teaching visa. Also you do not get visas at immigration unless it is part of a process to get an extension of stay.

The OP apparently got an extension of stay based upon teaching which is not a visa.