Thai Banking System

smithy82

My Dad past away 2 1/2 years ago and had been in Thailand numerous times in the last few years of his life as he worked in the oil industry and had old friends out there.

With his frequent visits he opened a bank account with Kasikorn Bank and when he past away he had a substantial balance. My solicitors have tried contacting the bank with no luck and the Scottish Law Society hasn't been able to suggest a reputable solicitor to use in Thailand either.

I can access the account as I have the login details but can only transfer internally.

Does anyone know how I can go about transferring the money internationally or know of a safe solicitor that I can use?

A bit more info needed, was your dad married to a Thai?

Did your dad have any Thai children?

I think you need to use a Thai legal firm, but if he didn't have a Thai Will things will be difficult.

Have you really fully explored the options available to you in the Kasikorn Bank online banking?

I am pushing the limits here of the forum rules so I will tread carefully... Do you have his mobile sim card???

No he wasn't married to a Thai or have any Thai children. There was no Thai Will nor was the a British will as he died a lot sooner than expected. As I am the eldest child I had to go through the Scottish court to become the executor to his estate.

Not sure about the SIM card as I would need to hunt through his belongings.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Smithy,

Firstly, sorry for your loss but to be honest you will have to jump through hoops! Hoops that are designed to make modest amounts of money not worth recovering.

With regards to online banking, to transfer funds or add a new Thai bank account to the transfer list requires something called a OTP (one time password) which is sent to a mobile phone! For personal banking this limit is 50'000 THB a day

• Like 2

Can't fund PP from a Thai bank account, only deposit into it.

Workaround is a virtual credit card like Kasikorn offers.

I have no problem at all funding my Thai PayPal account from my Bangkok Bank savings account, can't see that Kasikorn will be any different :)

That doesn't really help our OP as the amounts (substantial) would make it a very expensive route.

Wow, good to know, couldn't when they first started here, I'll have to give it a go.

It's been a while but the hardest part (ok parts) were navigating the Thai-only list of banks on the PP site and then finding the 'reference number' attached to the two small deposits they make to confirm all is correct (found eventually via on-line banking, bank staff were useless).

Don't be surprised if the money in a dormant Thai Bank account disappears, the Bank offers no explanation, and gives you the run around. Secondly, at the time of his death this should have been part of his estate, and subject to inheritance tax if you say that it was a substantial amount.

Do you have any documentation from the court or embassy showing you are the executor of his estate or his world wide assets are your legal inheritance ?

If so, I would just get these documents translated into Thai and have them certified by the Thai embassy or Ministry of foreign affairs and then go to the bank. If not maybe your lawyer can arrange it.

Don't be surprised if the money in a dormant Thai Bank account disappears, the Bank offers no explanation, and gives you the run around. Secondly, at the time of his death this should have been part of his estate, and subject to inheritance tax if you say that it was a substantial amount.

Sorry to read about your loss.

As mentioned even if you have the internet login details you need access to the phone number that your Dad gave the bank when he set up the bank account as the bank will send a validation code to the phone before allowing any transfers.

Sounds like the best way to go is to get some consular assistance from the British a Embassy.

S

Sorry for your loss. Kasikorn internet banking is normally linked to a mobile phone for security, so you would need that even for internal transfers. To ad an account outside of Thailand to your allowed transfer numbers you need to show up at the bank with a form from the internet banking system, your passport, visa, salary details, workpermit, etc. It's rather like applying for a loan, so that won't work.

Your best option is to get all the proof that you are in charge of his estate, get the papers legalized and than go off to Thailand to get the money out of the account. This would sure be cheaper than a trustworthy international law firm and safer than a local law firm.

Look into the virtual credit card option and just make payments to yourself till the funds are exhausted. Payments to Tom Jones Industries or something like that linked to your bank. Seems like the least painful option. Sorry for your loss. Condolences to your family.

Good luck in getting this straight too.

not wanting to hijack this topic, but if something happened to me, how would my wife (thai, lives here) get access to my fixed savings accounts? i'm with bangkok bank.

thx

ask your wife ,she can do it even with you still alive !

All she needs is your bankbook ( and maybe your driver licence )

Test it !it's simple .coffee1.gif

Sorry to read about your loss.

As mentioned even if you have the internet login details you need access to the phone number that your Dad gave the bank when he set up the bank account as the bank will send a validation code to the phone before allowing any transfers.

Sounds like the best way to go is to get some consular assistance from the British a Embassy.

S

Have you had any experience of "consular assistance"" ?

Do you have any documentation from the court or embassy showing you are the executor of his estate or his world wide assets are your legal inheritance ?

If so, I would just get these documents translated into Thai and have them certified by the Thai embassy or Ministry of foreign affairs and then go to the bank. If not maybe your lawyer can arrange it.

OK, assuming that this is not a troll post - although I cannot understand why anyone would wait 2.5 years to address this matter.

There is no Will so there is no Executor.

The OP's father died intestate. We do not know if the son is the (only) legal heir. If assets were dealt with in the UK? it would have been under Letters of Administration. Again, I cannot believe that the only assets were a Thai bank account.

If Letters of Administration were extracted then these can be used to access the Kasikorn monies.

If the OP hasn't sussed that one out by now PM me and I will advise my fee structure for obtaining the balance from Kasikorn.

Suggestions to extract funds from a dead mans account are, of course illegal, and contrary to forum rules.

Something is not right here. This is a situation of intestacy. Oldest son or not,there are legal avenues to go through that the banks and the Scottish court will recognise. I'm not even sure that an executor is appointed from amongst the heirs. There are things like prior rights, legal rights and remaining estate.

At first glance and not having all the information, I would say it is improper for Smithy82 to be accessing his late father's bank account. If my hunch is right, then it would also be improper for anyone to advise him how to go about it.

For all we know, all the siblings (and possibly a wife) will miss out. For all we know, Smithy82 would never have been in the will had there been one. For all we know, there was a will but this Thai account was not mentioned and only Smithy82 knows about it. For all we know, S82 is just a mate of the deceased and the only person aware that there is a Thai bank account. Numerous possibilities. The bottom line is that he probably/possibly has no rights whatsoever to access the account.

The story that the solicitors could do nothing adds to my skepticism.

Just saying.

Having the deceased fathers SIM card wouldn't help if he passed away 2.5 years ago. Doesn't the SIM become inactive after a year?

If it's on pay as you earn (I like that description better) the maximum validity period is 12 months and, not that you asked, maximum credit balance 5000 baht. This is for AIS "12Call" and DTAC "Happy". Not sure so sure about True " good rates but appalling customer services", there's never anyone to ask.

SDM

S

Have you had any experience of "consular assistance"" ?

I have actually on a few occasions and got to know the people reasonably well, the British staff anyway. What I can say that is all of my matters were sorted out but I would say that they are blighted by people who do not understand the bounds of the consular role, believe they have more power than they have and almost expect the British Army to invade if they can't get what they want.

I find it very boring when people criticise them and quite wrong, almost as much as the people at home that criticise the NHS.

SDM

PS On the point of legalities I will have to mentioned that to the officials that anyone who lives here has to deal with on a regular basis.

Smithy,

Firstly, sorry for your loss but to be honest you will have to jump through hoops! Hoops that are designed to make modest amounts of money not worth recovering.

With regards to online banking, to transfer funds or add a new Thai bank account to the transfer list requires something called a OTP (one time password) which is sent to a mobile phone! For personal banking this limit is 50'000 THB a day

If you have his ATM card with PIN number , you can transfer 1 mil Thai baht per day .

I have transfer up to 800 k baht a couple of times to suppliers , transporters . The transfer fees is free for the first time per month and 15 baht charges for subsequent transfers. Kasikorn is the easiest and cheapest to transfer. ( Between kasikorn banks )