New Zealand teen jailed in Thailand

webfact

The latest from the same source is the young chap is NOT in Bangkok but still in Nongplalai on remand; the NZ website article is in error. His court date may be anything from 3 to 5 months away. His parents are separated and there are no relatives that can pony up the bond.

His bed, badly made but he is lying in it.

Edited by NanLaew

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for a crime like stealing a phone, which noone is going to argue the morality of, throw the <deleted> book at him.

You named the game here. This is the venue for delusional, stiff arsed, youth-envying forum book throwers of TV, united here in this pitiful contest of justice by proxy, siding with Thai "law" only when convenient for them look oh so just/

Disgusting.

I can't believe there are so many DEFENDERS of this DRUNKEN, THIEF, with a

bad attitude,who thought he could pick a FIGHT with the BIB. He is a CROOK that

just happens to be young.............2 Years in BKK Hilton should teach him a good lesson !!!!

I pray Buddha to gove me you remote vesion powers, and some human comapssion and reason to you.

Of course none of us here have even given any thought to the poor motorcycle taxi rider. He's probably got a family to feed, he spends 12-16 hours a day, moving people around on the back of his scooter bike for a few baht, here and there. A lot of those guys rely on their phones for business, most likely he's paying the phone off on a plan (for years). Surely he doesn't deserved to be robbed by anyone, poor bugger got lucky this time because he got his phone back. Of corse he probably lost income, running around trying to find phone & time spent at the police station etc, nobly here has even given an iota of thought for him.

Sheesh...... No wonder so many Thais think poorly of westerners.

You know, that was really moving. It's time to stand up for tax drivers rights, abused daiy by teen foreigners! Enough is enough!!

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

I am not sure that we are honored guests - more like tolerated intruders - hence we are all aliens. However you are right in that we should behave properly and with integrity and respect even if that is not always afforded to us in return.

The kid is a bit a of a fool but at least he wasn't driving a Ferrari and mowing down police officers. I guess he will learn his lesson.

This kid is just the beginning of a new generation of delinquents post the NZ anti smacking laws.

In other words if they're under 18 parents cannot give them a good boot up the arse without the risk of being legally prosecuted,

I have to admit I was no angel in my day

To be fair some posters have over exaggerated the level of the crime

or maybe some have just gotten old & grumpy :-)

Same in Australia, you are not allowed to tell your children they are doing wrong. It is a restriction of their rights to make their own decisions.

Are you serious? You cant smack or tell your child off.. talk about nanny it up. blink.png

yep definitely can't smack your child as that is assault. You must talk to them and let them respond with their opinion. You can not deny them their rights to make their own decisions.

Had many kids in Melbourne as young as 10 who turn up at a police station reporting assaults by parents, slap on the arse. You take a report interview the parents who generally admit it so you charge them with unlawful assault and report the incident to human services who then take control of the child. Standard protocol and you as a cop can be charged if you don't follow this protocol.

It's the same in the US...

I was raised in a time when I got my ass beat when I screwed up. But I can honestly say I never got spanked when I didn't have it coming.

I believe a that a healthy fear of getting your ass beat is an effective parenting tool. It teaches you about limits and boundaries in behavior. It teaches you that crossing the lines too far gets you pain, and in the grand scheme of life, the pain of a belt on your ass when you are young is a lot better than the pain of going to jail or being killed in a foolish life of crime when you are older.

The younger generations in so many countries have no respect for anything, and no understanding of how to act like civilized people.

Despite all the arguments against the practice of corporal punishment, I think that if you were to plot the trends of the increases in the frequency and severity of youth crime in a country against the creation and enforcement of laws preventing parental corporal punishment, it would be rather interesting to study the possible correlations in the data... Based on my observations in the US, there has certainly been a relationship between the youth crime rates in the 50's till today with a steady increase n the restrictions on parents ability to discipline their children...

I find it fascinating that a study of this relationship has not been undertaken... or at least I have been unable to find it.

Talk about replies moving away from the OP.

Wonder where this boy is now

He still in Pattaya fore shore before he get to se the judge about 4-7Mount when the trail get upp.Then we se fore the teen what happen.But fore shore he get a long time for 500baht

It's funny how people on here do nothing but bitch and complain about Thai police, but then when a faring acts out of line, you all jump on the bandwagon for them to receive a form of primeval Thai justice.

Thailand has a lot of Farang criminals living here. Be sure that they will attack the police and show sympathy with the criminal in forums like this.

If you now any farang stay here ho hawe make a criminal thing,WHY THEY NO STAY BANKOK HILTON???

shore we hawe many farang make shith in there home country and come to stay here (run away from law)i now but try to undersdand my point,If you live here you most take the penalty if get police take you here in thailand,and if farang make same here,if you meke the crime do the time

shore we hawe many farang make shith in there home country and come to stay here (run away from law)i now but try to undersdand my point,If you live here you most take the penalty if get police take you here in thailand,and if farang make same here,if you meke the crime do the time

sorry fore wright some word wrong

• Like 1

Sorry fore the kid,But now he learn the hard way,Maybe its not so harch in his homecountry so him think its the same here.He make same in his home also fore shore.But if him not,He learn now.What a way to get 2-3year maybee for 500baht

Had he not been a westerner/tourist, he wouldnt be treated like a Soi Dog

At every turn, Thailand shames itself again!

I must be missing something here: the kid stole and resisted arrest and it is Thailand that shames itself? How is that? In other countries, including so-called democracies, people have gotten shot trying to resist arrest.

But of course let's not get facts in the way of some Thai-bashing.

Hanno,

This is all about how much money they can extort from his family to release him and if you can't see that you are blind.

And if you want to call it Thai Bashing, you are a fool too.

YUP, I agree, a fool indeed. EVERTHING is thai bashing in Hannos world

Yes. He is still in Nongplalai remand with a court date at Jomtien anything from 3 to 5 months away and nobody able to spring 60k baht for bail in the meantime.

Turning out to be a very expensive 'mistake' indeed.

Is the bail really 60,000 baht ? It would seem a rather small amount converted back into the kiwi $. I wonder is it that his family can't raise the coin or won't?

Yes. He is still in Nongplalai remand with a court date at Jomtien anything from 3 to 5 months away and nobody able to spring 60k baht for bail in the meantime.

Turning out to be a very expensive 'mistake' indeed.

Is the bail really 60,000 baht ? It would seem a rather small amount converted back into the kiwi $. I wonder is it that his family can't raise the coin or won't?

The kid is from a broken home so apparently there's no cookie-cutter mum, dad, siblings, aunt and uncle family unit in this equation. I won't get into any discussions about mixed Maori kids and dysfunctional families and their social standing (but someone else probably will!) as there are probably parallels of marginalized members of society in ANY country. Before anyone starts barking, that is not a defense of what has been alleged, just a comment on reality.

I would hope that given a little more time, someone can come up with bail since having already signed a confession at Soi 9, he would need a lawyer if he was going to try a not guilty, mitigating circumstances plea. If not, the time on remand will be deducted from any formal sentence which may be as close as he gets to a silver lining.

Edited by NanLaew

Ty for the reply NL. He must have got on the plane to LOS with his last $5 or something, certainly got himself hooked up into a bad situation in any such case.

The story in the NZ press is that he made a chunk of cash pretty much on whatever job he had. Maybe he was a builders labourer for a year, tax-free, lump-sum, under the table? It's an option in most countries despite the laws. Maybe he sold stuff that 'fell of a lorry'? Who really knows? He bought a ticket and probably planned to blow the balance on a first-time blast in LOS. I think he got nailed close to the end of his holiday, hence bugger all to pay even a short bung at Soi 9.... if he had been sober enough to think of it.

Well hopefully he keeps his nose clean in the next few weeks (months) & like you say he will be moved along shortly after being sentenced as he would of alraedy served the time. Of course won't help him much if his innocent and going to plea, not guilty.

His next problem will be getting deported and all the associated costs. Sounds like the holiday to hell, if you ask me.

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Of course I agree that we should behave properly as guests in this country and to pay the penalty if we don't. However, this story is typical of the gross double standards applying in this country. A young, drunk, stupid foreigner nicks a phone and behaves badly....thrown in jail and left out of contact with those who are looking for him, fearing the worst. A Thai robs, bashes, scams, threatens, stabs (whatever) a foreigner and they are out on bail in Olympic split second timing ( or never charged at all) . Scandalous and disgraceful double standards in the land of scams

I would be grateful if you could explain ( or maybe one of your 18 likes) then how on earth Thailand have one of the highest prisoners population in the world ?

over 300 for 100 000 inhabitants most Asians ans Europeans countries in the 100 for 100 000 inhabitants. Thanks in advance. whistling.gif

attachicon.gif800px-Prisoner_population_rate_world_2012_map.pnghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Less however than the US.

Ty for the reply NL. He must have got on the plane to LOS with his last $5 or something, certainly got himself hooked up into a bad situation in any such case.

The story in the NZ press is that he made a chunk of cash pretty much on whatever job he had. Maybe he was a builders labourer for a year, tax-free, lump-sum, under the table? It's an option in most countries despite the laws. Maybe he sold stuff that 'fell of a lorry'? Who really knows? He bought a ticket and probably planned to blow the balance on a first-time blast in LOS. I think he got nailed close to the end of his holiday, hence bugger all to pay even a short bung at Soi 9.... if he had been sober enough to think of it.

You are across this matter, so is it factual that the guy and family moved to Australia last year? Seems a bit odd family/friends cannot/do not want to raise $2k to get out on bail. Thinking about it it's not just bail money, as they would need to pay for rental, food etc until Court appearance. As he would be travelling on NZ passport I assume NZ govt will buy a ticket to return upon release for later repayment

Edited by simple1

The cheek of these Thai authorities.

I mean, has anyone told them that he's part-maori and from a broken family??

It's not his fault he stole something and was belligerent to police officers!!

It's society's.

And he was drunk too! Just a young man having some drinks with the boys to celebrate.

The bartenders would have seen that he was inebriated yet they kept selling alcohol to him!!

How is he to blame for any of this??

You are across this matter, so is it factual that the guy and family moved to Australia last year? Seems a bit odd family/friends cannot/do not want to raise $2k to get out on bail. Thinking about it it's not just bail money, as they would need to pay for rental, food etc until Court appearance. As he would be travelling on NZ passport I assume NZ govt will buy a ticket to return upon release for later repayment

I never heard anything about where he or his family live now. Is that something that came up in the press elsewhere? But even if it is the case, does that make a difference here? It could be making tracking down his (separated) parents a bit slow? Your guess and my speculation?

I haven't spoken with my friend recently on this matter so no clue about the current status.