Solar Panels

keithkarmann

Does someone know where I can buy a solar panel for hot water in Chiang Mai? I have previously seen them for sale in Global House.

I have thought about making a panel but this will be part of a larger project and I want to get on with the larger project as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Global, home mart and sukkapan have them. Not cheap though.

I am going to try the system we have discussed on here before coiling up a clear hose within a 1200 sq plywood sheet.

I recall some members here saying it was cheap,simple to do and very effective..

Unless you know what you are doing, don't try to make your own panels. It really is a pain in the bum. I spent 15 hours trying to do it once and ended up costing more than finished panels. There is a shop that sells panels near Icon plaza where they sell computers and software but not specifically for hot water, those tubes for hot water are slightly different.

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason why countries like Thailand aren't 90% covered with solar panels? Don't they create a huge surplus of value with the #hours of sunlight they get here?

Electricity, ROI is very poor.

Hot Water, most Thais don't use it, so no demand.

• Like 1

Solar power is still not nearly cheap enough compared to other alternatives. Other countries use government subsidies to afford it. Costs come down for solar every year (we've been hearing that for close to 50 years now, maybe longer.) If it were cost effective you would see the panels everywhere.

• Like 1

How can ROI on electricity generation be poor if solar panels for electricity are worthwhile in countries that get like 20% the amount of sunlight? Is electricity that much cheaper in Thailand compared to EU/US?

Dunno, Thai electricity is approx 12c/KWH.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason why countries like Thailand aren't 90% covered with solar panels? Don't they create a huge surplus of value with the #hours of sunlight they get here?

And anyone here that has a water tank either in the roof or outside knows they will get very hot water from noon onwards every day for most of the year.

try finding a sink with twin holes, try finding a tap marked hot/red and try finding that red hose for the washer.

Hot water isn't needed only from an electric shower.

"How can ROI on electricity generation be poor if solar panels for electricity are worthwhile in countries that get like 20% the amount of sunlight?"

First of all Electricity is rather cheap here compared to the countries you might be thinking of. Also I have never heard of people investing in solar panels to save money, those that I know that went solar did it for other reasons and remark how it is expensive. If I were to go completely solar here for the amount of electricity that I use, I would need to spend more than 100k baht for the whole system + installation. Since my electric bill is around 1k baht a month it would take about 8-10 years to get my investment back. What if the panels degraded or needed to replaced etc.

So yes, in theory Solar is pretty awesome but until they either mass produce them, increase the effectiveness of the the panels, it really isn't worth it for most people.

• Like 1

And anyone here that has a water tank either in the roof or outside knows they will get very hot water from noon onwards every day for most of the year.

try finding a sink with twin holes, try finding a tap marked hot/red and try finding that red hose for the washer.

Hot water isn't needed only from an electric shower.

Hi Eyecatcher, I have had a SolarHart (made in Oz) for the last 20 odd years,and it provides very hot

water,360+ days a year,a couple of days a year ,when its cold and cloudy,but then you can switch on the

installed heating coil,it was expensive then, and even more so now,but has paid for its self for sure,I wonder

how many of those wall mounted electrical water heaters I would have gone through in 20 years.

One thing for sure the price of electricity is never going to come down,but for sure is going to increase,

so for a long term investment its worth it,plus its nice to have hot water,at the sinks as well as shower and

bath.

regards Worgeordie PS A one hole sink is no problem, as you just buy a single tap with hot/cold,plenty about.

Edited by worgeordie