Thai-Indian business tycoon to be deported for protesting

Lite Beer

Well, this is a huge mistake. The last guy that started throwing Indians out of his country was Idi Amin and look what happened to Uganda when the Indians left enmasse. Although the Chinese are to Thailand what the Indians are to the UK - the hard core working/retailing backbone, make no mistake of how powerful the Indian lobby is here. Mr Segal is not your run of the mill corner shop owner. He is a wealthy and powerful guy in his own right. Not only President of the Thai-Indian chamber of commerce but an elected committee member of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the city does not get much more HiSo than that. I think he can count on more than a little bit of support from the Indian business community (just as a taster, the Gold and Diamond business in Thailand would grind to a halt without them) and others of a more influential Thai national background.

Good luck PTP, and Chalerm who hates foreigners, boy we he have a lot of ass licking to do when ASEAN unfolds next year.

There will be a price to pay for this one.

He has pull. Big pull.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just possibly they are talking of deporting him, not because he just happened to be strolling down the road waving a Thai flag and blowing a whistle, but because he was one of the Leaders of the demonstrations

Although the group marshalling against the government is diverse, its core tenets – and members – have at their heart a kind of elitism that fits uncomfortably with traditional views of democracy. Take Satish Sehgal, one of the demonstrator’s 34 leaders, who is practically the definition of society’s extreme upper crust. He served for 18 years on the 12-person committee running the Royal Bangkok Sports Club, an organization so exclusive, even committee members can nominate just two people per year to join.

He grows heated when he argues that outsiders simply don’t understand that democracy in the West has little in common with democracy in Thailand, where buying of votes, and even candidates, is rampant. “Anybody who has got, let’s say, $2-billion U.S. can literally buy this country,” he says. And no one but Mr. Thaksin can afford that, he says. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/thailands-political-drama-the-flawless-faceof-celebrity-protest/article16240704/

Next time, if there is a next time, before "Bigmouth strikes again" he might want to remember the phrase "tall poppy syndrome"

Edited by fab4

Posts in violation of the following forum rules have been removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

The problem is that the protests stopped being protests and became an overthrow movement. I don't see the problem in a foreigner joining a protest against f.ex the Amnesty Bill, since back in November this protest was just placards and carnival spirit etc. But later on this became an overthrow movement - the rhetoric changed to 'topple the government, kidnap the PM' etc. and so by joining that street movement the foreigner in question would no longer be participating in a simple protest, but in a criminal action against the state and the highest members of it.

Re; "foreigners should shut up" etc. that is a total void point. You are all entitled to your views, and can talk about them in places and ways in which it will not cause offense or social conflagration. So theres nothing wrong with chatting about stuff on forums and with your friends etc. but its a different case if you join an armed rebellion on the street and say the same things there. Also most of us own property and have investments, family, friends etc. over here so it is very much our business if we see disastrous political decisions which may affect our own lives. I sort of resent being told I'm not allowed an opinion just because I'm foreign, when I have property and investment at stake here, and Thai friends who I love dearly and are suffering under the current political quagmire. So I have opinions, but I don't join revolutionary overthrow movements like Suthep's.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

well so much for democracy.

You can be a part of our country, you cam make us money, but know where you stand...

you are not one of us! All men are not created equal, no inalienable rights here.

Clueless and disgraceful. Way to go PTP, your sort of only for Thai people after

their money of course. (pun intended) bah.gif

Being deported because having joined to political protest is a normal measure adopted from almost every westerner country as well. After stay for a while in jail... So I see not much to complain against Thailand or PTP here.

Are you after Chalerm's job? Absolute twaddle!

As a foreigner resident in another democratic country I occasionally join protests, discuss political and social issues and generally try to involve myself with the issues that effect society in the country where I live, work and pay taxes. That is what being part of the democratic process is about, not just voting, which is a right often refused to resident foreigners.

If Satish Sehgal has broken laws then of course he should be prosecuted and, perhaps, deported. But he appears to have proven his commitment to Thailand and it's people over a very long period.

This just yet again illustrates Chalerm's bullish stupidity and vindictivness.

I will not comment your first sentence because I respect you, differently from you.

As a foreigner resident in a democratic country I feel I have enough chances to discuss and express my points of view in Thailand.

But if in December police said: "Foreigners who joined protests could face deportation", I will be smart and avoid to do something police told to not do. Or you want to do anyway? Well, then if you will be deported, it's your business. You went against Police orders.

If you need to reply to my posts from now on, please avoid insults. Because I never had the chance to meet you, have a coffee or a lunch with you. I would never insult you, please use the same courtesy.

I was referring to your assertion that foreigners joining political protests in 'almost every Westerner(sic) country' facing deportation being normal, as false, and likening it to the falsehoods emanating from Chalerm. I even supported my statement with fact.

Police, and especially Thai police, say all kinds of things that have no foundation in law. As zaphodbeeblebrox kindly shows in his post (nr.100) the legality of the police statement is dubious if based on the Immigration Act.

If you don't want to be compared with Chalerm, try checking your facts before posting.

• Like 1

The problem is that the protests stopped being protests and became an overthrow movement. I don't see the problem in a foreigner joining a protest against f.ex the Amnesty Bill, since back in November this protest was just placards and carnival spirit etc. But later on this became an overthrow movement - the rhetoric changed to 'topple the government, kidnap the PM' etc. and so by joining that street movement the foreigner in question would no longer be participating in a simple protest, but in a criminal action against the state and the highest members of it.

Re; "foreigners should shut up" etc. that is a total void point. You are all entitled to your views, and can talk about them in places and ways in which it will not cause offense or social conflagration. So theres nothing wrong with chatting about stuff on forums and with your friends etc. but its a different case if you join an armed rebellion on the street and say the same things there. Also most of us own property and have investments, family, friends etc. over here so it is very much our business if we see disastrous political decisions which may affect our own lives. I sort of resent being told I'm not allowed an opinion just because I'm foreign, when I have property and investment at stake here, and Thai friends who I love dearly and are suffering under the current political quagmire. So I have opinions, but I don't join revolutionary overthrow movements like Suthep's.

coffee1.gif

The problem is, I am not sure how they can enforce this if they really want to legally pursue it, and he gets a good lawyer on it.

Is it illegal for a foreigner to stand on a street corner in Thailand and say something political that breaks the law?

Lease majeste is one thing, defamation yes.

But is it illegal to say that corruption is bad, or that you support someone's policy or idea. To that extent then any foreign businessman standing up in a newspaper or a tv channel to say they support an to corruption or Suthep is breaking the law.

I wonder if challenged whether this is illegal.

If I say I do or do not support someone as a farang, is that itself illegal? Why can John Arnone write to the nation supporting or not supporting? Why can we sit on here supporting or not supporting?

Edited by Thai at Heart

I think I've cracked it....

Tarit Pengdith, head of the Department of Special Investigation, said an ad-hoc committee has been set up to work out measures to confiscate the assets of protest supporters.

Good idea sell off the assets and give the cash to the rice farmers, problem fixed.

Right, NO foreigner have a right to go for protest, this is a Native Thai Nation issue and Business. That what I exactly hate in my country or back in Europe,foreigners come to our country's and going on the street to tell us what we should do and what there rights. <deleted> you all,if you don't like the country you visit then leave it !!!!!!

What if you're a resident in that country? What if you pay taxes? At what point are people allowed rights? Or do you think they always have to be denied freedom of speech due to not being in that country?

What the Thai protesters do is also illegal. There's an emergency decree. It's illegal to protest right now. The only difference is that Thai can't be deported.

Also, Thai have also no freedom of speech (like in the USA).

Internet forums (this one included), movies, newspapers, books have to follow the rules of this country and are censored do self censoring.

So, it's kinda normal a foreigner that lives here has to follow the same laws as the Thai have to follow.

????

If you go to a foreign country, you are a guest of the government.

Protest against that government and you are a problem that needs sorting.

Before the EU it was the same there.

If you lived in China or North Korea, would you join a protest march?

I really don't understand your problem. There are many countries in the world, including your own.

When will people, like you, understand one very basic thing, YOU ARE NOT A GUEST, you are a visitor.. guest by definition means you were "invited", show me your invitation.

I came as a visitor but then was invited to stay... Which is proven with the stamp that I renew every 2 years since the past 10 years that is in my passport tongue.png

Edited by Amir

well so much for democracy.

You can be a part of our country, you cam make us money, but know where you stand...

you are not one of us! All men are not created equal, no inalienable rights here.

Clueless and disgraceful. Way to go PTP, your sort of only for Thai people after

their money of course. (pun intended) bah.gif

Being deported because having joined to political protest is a normal measure adopted from almost every westerner country as well. After stay for a while in jail... So I see not much to complain against Thailand or PTP here.

Are you after Chalerm's job? Absolute twaddle!

As a foreigner resident in another democratic country I occasionally join protests, discuss political and social issues and generally try to involve myself with the issues that effect society in the country where I live, work and pay taxes. That is what being part of the democratic process is about, not just voting, which is a right often refused to resident foreigners.

If Satish Sehgal has broken laws then of course he should be prosecuted and, perhaps, deported. But he appears to have proven his commitment to Thailand and it's people over a very long period.

This just yet again illustrates Chalerm's bullish stupidity and vindictivness.

I will not comment your first sentence because I respect you, differently from you.

As a foreigner resident in a democratic country I feel I have enough chances to discuss and express my points of view in Thailand.

But if in December police said: "Foreigners who joined protests could face deportation", I will be smart and avoid to do something police told to not do. Or you want to do anyway? Well, then if you will be deported, it's your business. You went against Police orders.

If you need to reply to my posts from now on, please avoid insults. Because I never had the chance to meet you, have a coffee or a lunch with you. I would never insult you, please use the same courtesy.

I was referring to your assertion that foreigners joining political protests in 'almost every Westerner(sic) country' facing deportation being normal, as false, and likening it to the falsehoods emanating from Chalerm. I even supported my statement with fact.

Police, and especially Thai police, say all kinds of things that have no foundation in law. As zaphodbeeblebrox kindly shows in his post (nr.100) the legality of the police statement is dubious if based on the Immigration Act.

If you don't want to be compared with Chalerm, try checking your facts before posting.

You mean if I don't want to be offended? It's easier, I'll just ignore your posts.

I don't ramble other users comparing them to Suthep or Thaksin just because they have different ideas.

Am official statement to police shown in an immigration office is not enough for you to ring a bell? How long have you been living in Thailand?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I suppose all us foreigners living in Thailand should stop criticising the government on TV and other forums, as we may also risk deportation. It should not be too hard for the government to force TV (or the telecoms companies) to expose who is behind the various nicknames/IPs here.

This could be good news for the government supporters, who may now claim that no (or few) foreigners support the anti-government protests :-)

Edited by monkeycountry

The problem with this item is that the headline is misleading. If he was Thai-Indian, that implies he is a Thai citizen of Indian decent as many others are in Thailand.

However, the article says he is the head of the Thai-Indian "business association," which I presume is the Thai-Indian Chamber of Commerce.

If he's Thai he can't be deported.

The problem is, I am not sure how they can enforce this if they really want to legally pursue it, and he gets a good lawyer on it.

Is it illegal for a foreigner to stand on a street corner in Thailand and say something political that breaks the law?

Lease majeste is one thing, defamation yes.

But is it illegal to say that corruption is bad, or that you support someone's policy or idea. To that extent then any foreign businessman standing up in a newspaper or a tv channel to say they support an to corruption or Suthep is breaking the law.

I wonder if challenged whether this is illegal.

If I say I do or do not support someone as a farang, is that itself illegal?

Re; the gentleman in the OP, I think its an erroneous decision to take any action against him, he represents the Indian business community to a certain extent, appears highly respectable and law-abiding, and it is bad diplomacy to kick people like that unless they are actually committing serious crimes.

I also don't see it as a crime to peacefully visit protests if thats what you want to do. My earlier point was more about perception, the state feels threatened, and will lash out at the perceived threat which in this case is random blokes hanging round a protest/overthrow site.

I think its stupid, but then again I think the overthrow movement was also stupid, and the last ten years also stupid, so now its a sort of monster snowballing orb of stupidness. I stand clear of it all, protests etc. because of that. Its a bloody great out of control snowballing thing crashing down the hill.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

i dislike the whole protest but deporting a business figure for protesting is horrible and shows insecurity. On the other hand........... we have been warned and he made his choice.

It seems the Thai's are not going to stop until there is no more Thailand.

Hi guys,

I am not posting often, and I did some weeks ago about the same kind of matter.

I really do not understand why so people are questioning the Thai law regarding the Indian man to be deported.

When coming to live in Thailand, we all new the rules of the game. So, just play by the rules... ;-)

I am living here for 10 years, I am French and until the end I will be a French.
I am not Thai, I am not williing to become Thai, and I do not think that Thai government really wants me to become Thai.

And what?

I have never felt that Thailand doesn't want me as a resident, as long as my behaviour is respectful of Thai laws, and more generally respectful of Thailand and Thai citizens.

Doing that? No problem ;-)

I have a Thai wife, Thai friends, Thai colleagues.

I have opportunities to meet Thai people here and there. And one more time, I have no problem.

I should say, I do not have more problems that I could face in France.

Ok. I know that some of you will think that I am bothering and surely not matching with their opinion. Sorry wai.gif

I will tell them that as a French citizen, I am absolutely not happy with migrants coming to my country only to take advantage of our social care system while not respecting our institutions.

Yes, we are foreigners, surely uninvited ( nobody asked us to come ). So, we are guests only coffee1.gif

What is wrong with this? It doesn't mean bad at all. We simply aren't Thai citizens... And as foreigners, there are rules that we must follow.

For instance, we should not involve in private matters. Current protests and government supports are Thai private matters.

I will not want people to tell me how I must manage my family and private life. Surely, no one could come in my house to tell me where to set the fridge ;-)

Please, we are Foreigners.

Let's act like Foreigners. Just respect Thai people by not involving in their private matters.

Support our beloved. Try to bring calm where we see nervous situations. Try to lead our Thai friends to think by themselves rather than to just follow the crowd ( whatever the color whistling.gif ).

If we think that Foreigners, by their long history about democracy, can help Thai people to have a better vision of their future, just talk to them.

This above sentence should be re-checked, specially about history and democracy in western countries. Hehehehe.

As Foreigners, we should not be involved nor in protests not in opponents to protesters.

Just stay neutral, and live a clam life with our Thai family and friends.

All of this is a simple and calm reaction to what I read here and there.

I am very surprised by the so strong positions taken by some of our blog friends...

Cheers,
Claude

PS: Sorry for my poor English. French are not very good for that ;-(

• Like 2

You mean if I don't want to be offended? It's easier, I'll just ignore your posts.

I don't ramble other users comparing them to Suthep or Thaksin just because they have different ideas.

Am official statement to police shown in an immigration office is not enough for you to ring a bell? How long have you been living in Thailand?

If you don't want to be offended by being called out on posting misinformation, that you notably haven't tried to defend. just stop posting it, simple.

Hi guys,

I am not posting often, and I did some weeks ago about the same kind of matter.

I really do not understand why so people are questioning the Thai law regarding the Indian man to be deported.

When coming to live in Thailand, we all new the rules of the game. So, just play by the rules... ;-)

I am living here for 10 years, I am French and until the end I will be a French.

I am not Thai, I am not williing to become Thai, and I do not think that Thai government really wants me to become Thai.

And what?

I have never felt that Thailand doesn't want me as a resident, as long as my behaviour is respectful of Thai laws, and more generally respectful of Thailand and Thai citizens.

Doing that? No problem ;-)

I have a Thai wife, Thai friends, Thai colleagues.

I have opportunities to meet Thai people here and there. And one more time, I have no problem.

I should say, I do not have more problems that I could face in France.

Ok. I know that some of you will think that I am bothering and surely not matching with their opinion. Sorry wai.gif

I will tell them that as a French citizen, I am absolutely not happy with migrants coming to my country only to take advantage of our social care system while not respecting our institutions.

Yes, we are foreigners, surely uninvited ( nobody asked us to come ). So, we are guests only coffee1.gif

What is wrong with this? It doesn't mean bad at all. We simply aren't Thai citizens... And as foreigners, there are rules that we must follow.

For instance, we should not involve in private matters. Current protests and government supports are Thai private matters.

I will not want people to tell me how I must manage my family and private life. Surely, no one could come in my house to tell me where to set the fridge ;-)

Please, we are Foreigners.

Let's act like Foreigners. Just respect Thai people by not involving in their private matters.

Support our beloved. Try to bring calm where we see nervous situations. Try to lead our Thai friends to think by themselves rather than to just follow the crowd ( whatever the color whistling.gif ).

If we think that Foreigners, by their long history about democracy, can help Thai people to have a better vision of their future, just talk to them.

This above sentence should be re-checked, specially about history and democracy in western countries. Hehehehe.

As Foreigners, we should not be involved nor in protests not in opponents to protesters.

Just stay neutral, and live a clam life with our Thai family and friends.

All of this is a simple and calm reaction to what I read here and there.

I am very surprised by the so strong positions taken by some of our blog friends...

Cheers,

Claude

PS: Sorry for my poor English. French are not very good for that ;-(

Why did they write to Obama then? I note they didn't write to Hollande?

He's been a little tied up, or maybe he was doing the tying, recently....

It is a shame - though completely consistent with the history of Pheu Thai - that they should follow a path of complete intolerance when it comes to free expression - particularly if it is contrary to their narrative. If it supports it, of course, it is wholeheartedly embraced ! Free expression has a peculiarly Pheu Thai definition in these circumstances. And so the extreme solution - deportation - is gleefully adopted. A great diplomatic message to India, the world's largest democracy. The Yingluck administration is completely impotent when it comes to stifling the views of the people on the streets - who because they are Thai are not subject to Pheu Thai deportation. But in an effort to convince themselves that they are capable to stifling anything, they go after the foreigners who might happen to show up. Doubtless many will be viewing this event as a strange kind of victory for the administration - although what kind only they will know. Others, though, will steadfastly and confidently maintain that free expression is the bedrock of democracy and will view this story for what it is - a startling Orwellian reflex from an administration that just oversaw the most disunified election in its history.

OK I found a link. Aussie deported for joining Red Shirt protests in 2010 in defiance of an emergency decree: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/thailand-to-deport-aussie-protester-20100820-138l5.html And my recollection is that it was a certain Mr Abhisit in charge at the time. So where does that leave the anti-PTP analysis/rant?

Purcell was a drunken plonker, a tourist, who incited protesters to "Burn Bangkok" including Central World - which eventually was extensively damaged.

A totally different scenario to that of Satish, a thoughtful, sensible and well respected man who has been here for years with a well known and influential family in the Community - as already mentioned a past President of the Thai-Indian Chamber of Commerce and a well liked, long serving member of the Committee of the RBSC.

I think there's far more to this than meets the eye and I'm pretty sure it will rebound on those who are attempting to vilify him.

Patrick

• Like 1

What about all the Thai/Chinese who were protesting?

They are Thai citizens. This guy is a foreigner.

Yes,.. and they were once foreigners before they cunningly positioned themselves as permanent fixtures in the commercial fabric of the nation!

Ugly racism. I'm trying to imagine how Siam/Thailand would have turned out absent the enormously positive Chinese contribution (from the Chinese who arrived between c. 1850 and 1950).

A foreigner in Thailand does not enjoy the same rights as a Thai that are provided by the Thai Constitution?

Probably not? I have been married to my Thai Wife for 14 years, but as I understand it, if we move to Thailand, I will be treated like a foreigner as far as immigration is concerned, as far as buying a house is concerned and who knows what else. This has been holding me back from her wish for me to move with her to Thailand. Sort of like walking unvited into someone's house.

Yes....living in Thailand is so good......but, we are always a foreigner...can't own a house and land.....2 tiered pricing system in many places......limited rights....often targets 'cos we are ATMs...and scams against us are endless.....however, I love living here.

If you don't want to be offended by being called out on posting misinformation, that you notably haven't tried to defend. just stop posting it, simple.

For what it does concern my statement about the possible expulsion due to join violent protests, I will sure search some law links, but I remember very well of foreigner being expelled from some European countries joined protests which turned out violent... And anyway, it happened already in Thailand on 2010. The guy was a loony and was expelled for threat to burn CW, but the Indian/Thai (?!) guy have been active on stage on protests, after the warning have been issued. I really can't see the problem here...

When you go in a country where it has death penalty for certain actions, and you know about that, but you break that law, you can't tell that country is bad because condemn you to death penalty. It's your fault only.

About your statement:"Police, and especially Thai police, say all kinds of things that have no foundation in law. As zaphodbeeblebrox kindly shows in his post (nr.100) the legality of the police statement is dubious if based on the Immigration Act."

Would you write the same to a moderator? It seems I am not the only one who saw that...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701965-thai-indian-business-tycoon-to-be-deported-for-protesting/?p=7393382

Edited by newcomer71