Thai farmers to block all main roads across country tomorrow

webfact

Gonna be a lot of foot-in-mouth for some posters on here who claim PTP was doing so good and the anti-gov't sentiment such a small segment of the population.

Lots of folks of all walks of life here fed up, and ready to restart without the feudalism. Get the block on the road, and shut down this proxy government! Taxpayers local and foreign tired of supporting graft, nepotism and shopping sprees.

No, they'll just blame it on someone else, saying its all the Democrat's fault, or Suthep's , or the EC's, or the army's - anybody but the saintly Thaksin, his clone Yingluck, the PTP, or the Red shirts that keep them in power. They'll probably just claim that these farmers are being paid because it is simply impossible in their minds that any farmers could actually be honestly fed up with the Thaksin/PTP/Red clique.

Thai politics is very simple to them; it is all about good/red/PTP/Thaksin/rural/farmers vs. evil/yellow/Democrat/Suthep/urban/elite - nothing will convince them it is very different or far more complex.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My FIL in Issan grows one crop of the best Jasmine rice a year, then he sells to the highest [Chinese] bidder and then buys the lowest grade for his family to eat. Common practice the wife tells me. Lucky for him that he didn't go with the govmt scheme.

Makes me wonder what % of rice farmers got suckered into the scheme [scam]??

Where I live, just north of Kanchanaburi, about 90% of the rice farmers signed up for the scheme. In our village every single one of them is still waiting for their payout since Oct/Nov. The guy who owns the paddy next to our house is owed 130,000bht and is seriously pissed off with the Govt.

Rice farmers know very well who is behind the mess. It is Suthep and the democrats. Were they block the funding of the rice scheme together with the EC who is firmly on stage with the PDRC the funding of rubber farmers may continue. The subsidy per rai that rubber farmers receive far outstrips that of rice farmers.

As I predicted. Of course, it's all the fault of the Democrats, no the PTP who devised the whole messed up plan in the first place.

If the rice farmers "know" it is the Democrats behind it, then why are they protesting against the PTP government? Please explain.

• Like 1

Spoke to my wife who headed out of Bangkok this morning. She saw the road block near Ratchaburi but was able to get around it without much trouble, but she does know the roads around there. She also said the traffic going in to Bangkok this morning was banked back more than usual but she couldn't say if it was the protest or something else causing the delay.

My FIL in Issan grows one crop of the best Jasmine rice a year, then he sells to the highest [Chinese] bidder and then buys the lowest grade for his family to eat. Common practice the wife tells me. Lucky for him that he didn't go with the govmt scheme.

Where I live, just north of Kanchanaburi, about 90% of the rice farmers signed up for the scheme. In our village every single one of them is still waiting for their payout since Oct/Nov. The guy who owns the paddy next to our house is owed 130,000bht and is seriously pissed off with the Govt.

Well, he can get as pissed-off as he likes - that doesn't achieve anything - only stress for himself.

Do something about it, "don't get mad, get even" Join / start a protests, block the roads, march on city hall.

Did he vote for PTP or not bother voting or vote informal.

Rice farmers know very well who is behind the mess. It is Suthep and the democrats. Were they block the funding of the rice scheme together with the EC who is firmly on stage with the PDRC the funding of rubber farmers may continue. The subsidy per rai that rubber farmers receive far outstrips that of rice farmers.

Very red, wouldn't you say?

For Pheu Thai - this must seem like the " perfect storm ". The farmers' revolution - which is more of an awakening - is adding more fuel to a fire beset with administrative paralysis, protests, and impeachment investigations. The emergency decree remains the only power the administration holds, and even that will likely be challenged by the courts.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

What are the farmers thinking? Are they using the same brain they used in falling for the rice scheme? How does blocking all these roads hurt the corrupt government, it doesn't. Instead it hurts the average citizen who is traveling the roads to get to work or take children to school and etc., also hurts food transport trucks from reaching there destinations. It's not the average Thai's fault that these farmers got suckered by this corrupt scheme, not only did they take the money and run, but they were bought off to vote for the Thaksin gang, so the farmers revenge is to hurt the average Thai.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed, please do not make it a habit to post in bold fonts.

Thai farmers to block all main roads across country tomorrow

So there go my travel plans to other Thailand provinces... thank you, dear greedy Thaksinistas for leading your dearest rice farmer voters to such actions....

Edited by MaxLee

What are the farmers thinking? Are they using the same brain they used in falling for the rice scheme? How does blocking all these roads hurt the corrupt government, it doesn't. Instead it hurts the average citizen who is traveling the roads to get to work or take children to school and etc., also hurts food transport trucks from reaching there destinations. It's not the average Thai's fault that these farmers got suckered by this corrupt scheme, not only did they take the money and run, but they were bought off to vote for the Thaksin gang, so the farmers revenge is to hurt the average Thai.

I think they're trying to cripple the economy overall. They're farmers though, not economists. At least they plan to block roads instead of burn tires, and use molotovs..hope thats all....

Banks have issues such as credit ratings, shareholders, the law etc. to worry about. Issues which few if any farmers care about or understand. This lack of understanding of economy and the bigger picture (which is not limited to farmers, but a general problem) is also why majority rule is not an optimal solution for Thailand today (it may be in a more educated future).

TV posters are amongst the best there are for useful advice so can I request that information on roadblocks in every area be shared tomorrow ?

Perhaps the mods might consider a dedicated site if considered worthwhile should the blocks be widespread and extensive.

I have the relatively short trip Udon Thani - Khon Kaen to make but there must be others with longer ones planned especially if heading to Bkk to catch / meet a flight etc.

In 2010 I had the unpleasant experience of being stopped in several unofficial roadblocks and can only hope the farmers do not adopt the same attitude of the Lao Khao fueled idiots operating then.

Sorry to hear that you fell victim to the Lao Khao idiots manning the roadblocks in 2010, but on Monday I drove the long and very slow coastal detour from Cha-am to Samut Songkran around the Wang Manao block on Rama 2, and the farmers who were directing traffic throughout the whole detour couldn't have been more polite and humble. Many were apologising for the inconvenience and asking that we understand why they needed to do it.

This is a different deal altogether than 2010, and I can't imagine anyone with a decent head on their shoulders not having sympathy for the farmers. It's been an industrial-scale ripoff of people who can afford it least, and I must say I'm surprised (or not) that the Dems/Suthep haven't jumped in and found some money to provide the farmers relief and score points in the process. Nah, probably a bit too logical for the Dems wink.png.

Anybody blocking up main roads is wrong, they are not punishing the government, they are punishing ordinary people, who may need to get to their work, which could be in a hospital, and people going to the airport. They are also putting peoples lives at risk stopping emergency vehicles.

I believe the farmers are being hard done by, but they are wrong wrong wrong, to punish innocent people.

whats the answer then mate sit at home and eat mud pies,,they are at the end of their tether.they have no choice,a few people here moaning about how inconvenienced it will be for them i weep ...emergency vehicles will not be stopped they havnt yet as far as i know if anyones worried make a plan and leave early obvious i would have thought,...remember they are also innocent in all of this sir...wai2.gif

The roads appear to be blocked already.How about this??

Our location is 18km south of Mukdahan on Highway 212

AVERAGE rate,per hour in both north and south directions is 12 heavy container carrying rigs,and others

with fuel and gas,plus artictrucks with local essential supplies , plus car transportersfor the area.Included is freight for the Savannakhet bridge.

Only local traffic passing and no Long Distance Busses to day.Nearly 3 pm May as well close the shop and top up the pick up with diesel

I stand by what I say, they should not be blocking the roads, what would you say if it was one of your family who had to get to the hospital in a life or death situation? They emergency vehicles have not been stopped yet? What kind of thinking is that? Is there not a first time for everything? The farmers have a gripe, but they should not hit back at their own people, the same applied to the red shirts in 2010, Sutheps protesters now, and of course the farmers.

By your user name I assume you are from the UK, well the same applied to the miners in 1970 and Scargills mob in 1984. Do you remember how they behaved? I am not against protesting, but it is wrong the risk peoples lives by doing it.

I think the government needs to give up and resign enmasse.

I can't think of anyone with 2 braincells to rub together would want to put all this mess right.

The rice industry is in major trouble that can continue for decades to come. I doubt rice cultivation will ever show a profit again. I wouldn't want to be running Thailand under this perpetual problem that is about to hit them and almost impossible to fix thanks to these Thaksin populist policies.

I stand by what I say, they should not be blocking the roads, what would you say if it was one of your family who had to get to the hospital in a life or death situation? They emergency vehicles have not been stopped yet? What kind of thinking is that? Is there not a first time for everything? The farmers have a gripe, but they should not hit back at their own people, the same applied to the red shirts in 2010, Sutheps protesters now, and of course the farmers.

By your user name I assume you are from the UK, well the same applied to the miners in 1970 and Scargills mob in 1984. Do you remember how they behaved? I am not against protesting, but it is wrong the risk peoples lives by doing it.

No protest blockade would ever block the path of an ambulance or fire engine. There may be a first time for everything, the there won't be a first time for that.

Stop being sensationalist with something that has not happened and will not happen.

No protest blockade would ever block the path of an ambulance or fire engine. There may be a first time for everything, the there won't be a first time for that.

Stop being sensationalist with something that has not happened and will not happen.

I do not believe the farmers would deliberately refuse to allow an emergency vehicle through, but a lot of traffic is going to slow them down. If it's just a few cars blocking a road and one or two can be removed immediately, then I suppose that's OK. But this would not apply to Sutheps protesters, because I saw them at the Asoke intersection.

I saw a protest once in the UK, and I said to myself "if there is an emergency of any kind in this vicinity, there is no way an emergency vehicle will get near. I do not mind people protesting, as long as they allow the public to go about their business.

If there is no way the public are going to be greatly inconvenienced by the farmers, then the best of luck to them.

Difficult times for the honest Thai worker be they in tourism or agriculture. The only way out I see for the rice crisis is to simply print the money.

Good point it is what most of the western economies have being doing for a long time now.

More like, creating money out of thin air as debt backed by tax donkey...

if you had a lot of rai..greed kicked in and you joined the scheme...those with little rai sold it and got the cash..

Difficult times for the honest Thai worker be they in tourism or agriculture. The only way out I see for the rice crisis is to simply print the money.

That was my immediate thought as well. But devaluing the Baht will only aggravate the situation with the Chinese. So it looks like CP may have to take a major financial hit and find some use for all that extra rice. They could do the Buddhist thing and donate it to people starving in foreign countries. Or try to hatch some risky money grubbing scheme to turn it into biofuel or expand rice whiskey stock. But one thing for sure is that they need to put in a serious initiative for farmers to grow different crops which will require even more money so farmers can purchase machinery they would need. Thailand has the climate and the water to do this, but it will require the big boys to actually develop new models for profiting besides their worn out rice monopolizing strategy. They could do this if they actually can rally some intelligent thinking that isn't reliant on corruption and shady business practices.

The payments (for rice) stopped in October 2013 according to both the farmers, the banks and the government. Suthep started his protests in November 2013. Do you see a problem here with your statement? 20x20xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.

If you do a bit of research, you will find that the rubber farmers receive considerably less subsidies than the rice farmers, no matter which way you count it.

You are a good little red shirt though. You don't know much about anything, but still happily voice your unfounded opinion on anything. I do agree with you though, the farmers all "know" who is behind everything. Afterall they are all spreading the same "knowledge" to eachother, just like you biggrin.png width=20 alt=biggrin.png>

Mrs. Tida could say on red shirt radio tomorrow that Abhisit has 3 eyes. The next day every red shirt will run around telling eachother that Abhisit has 3 eyes, and anyone daring to show a recent picture of Abhisit with only 2 eyes will be accused of picture manipulation and subsequently beaten up cheesy.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif>

post-110488-0-18505500-1391606569_thumb.

"Now, please count our certificates from the scheme as equivalent to land title deeds so that we can get loans to cover our daily expenses and invest in farming materials for the next crop season."

I would think twice about investing in something that no one wants...

You think nobody wants rice?

Judging by the stock piles ...

Hmmm, with this secondary anti-governemt group also becoming a huge, critical issue, one would think the Amazing Thaksin would make it go away with his vast financial resources. Ironic that this potential death-knell to the gov't is not so much political, as being from the poor farmers and of a financial/business nature!

Yes, the very people he weedled his way into and tried to get on-side. Now they are shafted.

By him and air-head puppet lil sis.

On Sunday most of the farmers go vote the Pheu Thai Party & Yinluck back into power....and now on Thursday they go block all major roads in protest against the Yinluck govt. What happened? Did the farmers all sober up since Sunday. I know, I know, they just want to get paid...quite understandable...but why vote for the same people who haven't been paying you and just filling your pockets with vote-buying IOUs?

Pib, not splitting straws here, but where is the evidence that "most of the farmers go vote the Pheu Thai Party & Yinluck back into power."? For a start, they're not back in power and the entire election is in great doubt, and there has been no mention anywhere of whether or not the farmers voted for them. Personally speaking, I doubt that anywhere near the same numbers would have voted for PT this time as in 2011, even despite the threats and coercion that apparently was common in the villages.

Although the election results are still a work in process and may end up being thrown out most indications and news reports to date indicate the PTP will end up with a larger majority in Parliament than before even though the voter turn out was less. And once again, the PTP support is still strong among the farmers especially in the North, Northeast, and Central portions of the country. Heck, I have in-laws who are farmers and they bitch more than ever about the current govt; however, but, they still support it out of the other side of their mouths because they feel the PTP will provide the best populist benefits/deals in comparison to the other parties. It boils down to money and benefits...and the PTP is still a clear winner in these areas although it's costing the country dearly and don't seem sustainable.

Sounds like a Thai version of Cabrini-Green.