Is 28,000 Fair For Starting Pay?

I've just started my first teaching job in Bangkok teaching at rich kid schools. 35k a month after tax, taxi transport paid by the company, health insurance, small classes (average 20 students), all lesson plans provided and a Thai assistant from the company in every class.

I guess I got pretty lucky :o

Again without hours, class sizes, holiday pay, expected duties, sick pay etc. it's realy hard to say!

We're so so and pay around that...so while I'd not say it's good, it's not really that bad. There's worse, and obviously there is better. I think good pay is when you start hitting 500 Baht plus an hour (at least)...but then that can depend on the hours given etc.

Basically boils down to....are you happy and is it enough for you???

I've just started my first teaching job in Bangkok teaching at rich kid schools. 35k a month after tax, taxi transport paid by the company, health insurance, small classes (average 20 students), all lesson plans provided and a Thai assistant from the company in every class.

I guess I got pretty lucky :D

I think that you are EXTREMELY lucky!

I have no TEFL (or the like) or no 'degree'...but I do have a 'Tradesmans Certificate'. This piece of paper helped me obtain a job teaching English, Maths & Physics (I'm an unqualified practicing Electrical Engineer) at a BKK government High School (M1 to M6). My salary was 35 000.00 Baht per month. The school paid for my Work Permit & all the visa costs. I began classes at about 0830 & finished classes at about 1330-1400. Class sizes are rather large at approx. 50 students per class. :o

I was also the only 'native English speaker' at the school. The other 2 'English' teachers were not 'native English speakers'.

I left my school (for certain reasons) & returned to Australia after only teaching for 5 months. I decided to repay to the school, the cost of procuring a WP & Non-B visa, as I felt it only fair that I do so.

I am about to return to Thailand & my former school has indicated that they are eagerly awaiting my arrival & are happy to re-employ me.

I think that if you are honest in your intentions toward teaching people, respectfully firm in your methods, a good communicator & make a genuine effort, Thai schools & their students will love you.

Don't do it only for the money...do it because you get some enjoyment & enrichment from it.

• 4 weeks later...
^ To be honest I'd disagree. While it's good to be legal I'd personally make sure it's a school I'm going to be happy with first (as they often will do to us) before getting a WP (Non-imm B is kind of a moot point really other than you need it for a WP (or a Non-imm O) still illegal to work on it) as if you then decide to disappear they CAN and possibly WILL make your life difficult.

I know the rules here where we have to say you must have a WP etc. but I'd say in 90% of schools here this will not happen right away (if at all). ...and even when you do have a WP it often doesn't cover you for the location/job duties etc.

Also the MoE's crazy requirements for private language schools (which I'd guess this is) makes it IMPOSSIBLE for them to issue WPs to ALL OF THEIR TEACHERS...this applies to ALL schools from your crap acronym ones....to the BEST language schools there are.

This is the reality of teaching here....get used to it.

This sounds like great advice ... I'll have to remember this. Cheers to you KK ... You're my favorite "Idol" still.