A question for the experts here ..

I have a HSBC account in Indonesia where I have had rupiah parked for a couple of years - I just found out today that I can move those rupiah into 9.5% interest per year time deposit for one year- no risk, great return .

So. Why shouldn't I just transfer all my cash and liquidate my stocks - all in US dollars -and transfer it all to my HSBC account in Indonesia , convert to rupiah ( at a great exhange rate ) and put in a one year, risk free, 9.5% interest account? Is there any down side ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Naam.

I am aware that Rp has depreciated 20% - but is it likely to fall even further given the state of the US dollar ? Surely a decent chance that it will actually appreciate vis a vis the dollar in which case 9% return is very tasty ?

Naam.

I am aware that Rp has depreciated 20% - but is it likely to fall even further given the state of the US dollar ? Surely a decent chance that it will actually appreciate vis a vis the dollar in which case 9% return is very tasty ?

read Rupiah restrictions ExpatJ (especially repatriation) and don't forget 30% Indonesian income tax. HSBC should advise you in writing how to proceed!

years ago i held Indonesian government bonds -when the yield was 14.5% and IDR rather steady- a flat withholding tax of 20% applied. but to convert restricted IDR into USD every coupon payment took 3-4 months to repatriate. biggest hassle was to get out the initial investment because i did not hold the bonds till redemption.

if you want a risky high yield investment without any tax or repatriation problems then you should take a look at BRL (11-12%).

by the way, "state of the US Dollar". do you believe the gloom&doomers?

• Like 1