Driving Lessons in Hua Hin

silentnine

Hi All.

my son (british) is living in Hua Hin at the moment.

i'd like him to learn to drive while he's there and then take the thai driving test.

if nothing else it will teach him to drive which will be far cheaper than taking lessons from scratch in the UK.

are there driving schools ? and how much are lessons ?

last year my wife took lessons in Jomtien and Yasothon, on average, about 250 Per Hour, but the lessons was booked in advance to get the best price, we booked 10 hours spread over 3 days in yasothon and 20 hours spread over 5 days. My wife ran out of time to apply for the test before returning to the UK. In jomtien, the lessons was just in car-parks and Yasothon was on the roads.

she is now learning in the UK, she picked up so many bad habits in Thailand that she had to start from scratch

How would a farang do the theoretical part of the test as I assume the test is only available in Thai script? Is there any way to handle this?

(yes, I know that for farangs converting their foreign licenses you can get some good "help" how to handle the theoretical test, but for first timers it might be different)

last year my wife took lessons in Jomtien and Yasothon, on average, about 250 Per Hour, but the lessons was booked in advance to get the best price, we booked 10 hours spread over 3 days in yasothon and 20 hours spread over 5 days. My wife ran out of time to apply for the test before returning to the UK. In jomtien, the lessons was just in car-parks and Yasothon was on the roads.

she is now learning in the UK, she picked up so many bad habits in Thailand that she had to start from scratch

Buy a thai signs driving book in English and do the online course of your country . Seriously if you want him to have any chance of survival DON'T rely on the thai system ,you most definitely want to rest assured he's safe on having the knowledge and ability. Sure they may take him for few laps around the car park but as far as real driving and parking ,indicating ,and safety is concerned its not taught a requisite under thai. I taught my thai wife to drive on the real roads ,I made her read the book of signs and safety and further more made her pass a free online internet course for drivers in Australia. and that was because the thai course was totally inadequate ,in fact all they were interested in was 3000baht and the stupid weetbix licence came for free guaranteed!! as a fact it did come so theres one explanination for so much road carnage!!

You mean you actually let a Thai teach your wife to drive? Don't

you want to keep her in one piece?

How would a farang do the theoretical part of the test as I assume the test is only available in Thai script? Is there any way to handle this?

(yes, I know that for farangs converting their foreign licenses you can get some good "help" how to handle the theoretical test, but for first timers it might be different)

Not sure about all driving test locations, but e.g. in Pattaya the computer based Q & A can be taken in English that requires a pass of 23 out of 30 questions. You can download the Thai driving laws in English.

Driving lessons in Thailand. That's a new one on me. Never heard of anyone taking lessons up here is the boonies. Here is Isaan they ride a motorbike from about 10 years old then graduate to a 3 litre turbo charged pickup without the merest hint if a lesson.

I taught my Thai stepson to drive. It took the best part of six months before I thought he was reasonably capable. He speaks English very well and I took him out on the local roads in Esan. I also set up an area near our house to teach him three point turns and revers parking. Hill starts were easy as we have quite a steep incline into our drive. The most important thing was the UK highway code. I made him study this one hour every day until he could answer questions at random. When I thought he was able, I took him to the local IDDriver station in Khon Kaen, paid a fee of ฿600 and he passed the same day. I might add this was with a manual gearbox car, he now drives an automatic.. .

No , you can do it it in Thai, or English

hi, thanks for the replys so far, still looking for a driving school in hua hin so any more information is greatly appreciated.

been driving a bike in HH now for the last 3 years and think driving a car will at least make me feel a little bit safer

As for the lessons, well I hope you are looking for someone european, learnign the Thai way will not make it easier when you go to UK. It will probaly make them surprised ...

You didnt state if it was for car or bike.
The bike test is very easy. If he can drive the bike without falling when he stops, he will pass that part.
The car test is different, if automatic you have to do reverse parking, if manual, start in a slope. Same closed track as for the bike test :)
Medic test before adn the test cab be had in english for both above. Then they have a coulr blind test and and one more eye test. It all should be done in half a day if you start early.

There are some nice info pages that will help, both in TV and this one about the licenses

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/driver_s_license

and some about the actual laws, signs etc.
http://freebeerforyorky.com/driving.html
http://freebeerforyorky.com/driving2.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/

... and for the driving. My bike teacher back home said one important thing: If you remember that almost all of the others out there are idiots and doesnt really notice you, then you will enjoy driving your bike for many years. Forget and youd better use a car!
That thinking has helped me both in Bangkok and Isaan on my scooter ... but if I would drive lik that back home the police would chase and prbably arrest me smile.png

quote:"if nothing else it will teach him to drive which will be far cheaper ......."

Cheaper ???? Is your real name Charly?

You are going to risk your sons life .......because it is "cheaper"?

You are not looking for a good school but for the cheapest one ......so that will be yourself,

teach him yourself that is the cheapest (not the safest but that's ok for you )

bah.gif

As for the lessons, well I hope you are looking for someone european, learnign the Thai way will not make it easier when you go to UK. It will probaly make them surprised ...

You didnt state if it was for car or bike.

The bike test is very easy. If he can drive the bike without falling when he stops, he will pass that part.

The car test is different, if automatic you have to do reverse parking, if manual, start in a slope. Same closed track as for the bike test smile.png

Medic test before adn the test cab be had in english for both above. Then they have a coulr blind test and and one more eye test. It all should be done in half a day if you start early.

There are some nice info pages that will help, both in TV and this one about the licenses

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/driver_s_license

and some about the actual laws, signs etc.

http://freebeerforyorky.com/driving.html

http://freebeerforyorky.com/driving2.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/

... and for the driving. My bike teacher back home said one important thing: If you remember that almost all of the others out there are idiots and doesnt really notice you, then you will enjoy driving your bike for many years. Forget and youd better use a car!

That thinking has helped me both in Bangkok and Isaan on my scooter ... but if I would drive lik that back home the police would chase and prbably arrest me smile.png

Good pages... BUT... as Jack said in "A Few Good Men":

Do you want the truth? DO YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH! ( cheesy.gif )

Seriously though, silentnine, this subject has often been on my mind as I contemplate my own son reaching that age where he begins asking for the keys.

After reading your post and all the others (some very able comments) I sat outside for a bit and thought about it and it occurred to me that there are so many things here that you are not covering, yet you imply that you want your son to be safe.

Try this link: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=driving%20in%20thailand&sm=3

The videos therein may not be licensed, but I guarantee that your son will get the truth.

Additionally, driving is not the only feature of Thailand where your son could land in trouble. Consider parking, pulling in to a place, pulling out of a place. The list is too long.

Have you taken time to go out on the road with him and "show him the ropes"?

There is freeway driving, soi driving, dealing with intersections and conjunctions and rounding corners.

The thing is, silentnine, training in Thailand means that the extraordinary here is the norm, and not the exception. Your son will have to train like he is driving amongst drunken lunatics (every single one) and not the other way around.

Additionally, how does your son deal with anger, frustration, knee-jerk moments, split-second decision making, etc?

I think you get the idea.

Regrettably, I am more convinced that keeping him safe is not possible, but the more truth and experience he has at hands-on with that truth can certainly reduce the inevitable when it does occur, and again, I am certain it will occur.

Moreover, does he speak Thai? Will he have A1 insurance?

If he does not speak Thai, then he had better have a sponsor he can call 24/7 when he finds himself defending against a lousy Thai who rammed into him and is seeking reparations for said lousy Thais lunacy. He had better have A1 insurance to cover things. He had better have patience so he doesn't blow his top and get beaten up at the scene.

You see? There are so many levels here you aren't telling me you are aware of, that I am hesitant to wish you luck on this. I know Thai drivers, but more dangerously, I know "youth" and its intoxicating emotions and flare-ups.

The driving tests, etc. are absolutely meaningless.

If he can't drive... I mean really DRIVE, then you should step back and think it over a bit before watching him drive off into the sunset.

All the respect in the world.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Check if she knows 'high beam' and 'low beam', and when - I find many do not know. Have been told 'mai me' (don't have) when I ask vehicles at traffic lights, burning my retinas out in rear vision mirror, to use low beam.

I am sorry, but this idea of getting your son to learn to drive for the first time and doing it here in LOS is, frankly, the dumbest idea I have ever heard! Come on! Have you seen how the Thais drive? Do you really want your son to consider the yellow line down the middle of the road only a 'suggesting', even around blind corners?! Are you kidding about wanting him to do it here simply because it is cheaper than back in the UK?! Listen, take into account the fact that LOS is the 3rd ranked country for road deaths. Get him to take the test and the lessons back in the UK. Price is much higher, yes, but at least he will actually learn how to drive, learn the do's and don'ts, not be a total threat to everyone else on the road, or be forced to accept the honks and the looks with his 'L Plates' on... you know... like the rest of us , and be able to stay alive longer while driving!

The UK procedure is by far one of the best for learning to drive. Sure it maybe a bit overly dramatic and even slightly pedantic but it far better than what you go through here in Thai to get a DL! Sure he can get the Thai test in English, go through the motions, and actually be able two drive at least here. But that 'training', if you can call it that (personally I think it is just as good to get a copy of "Grand Theft Auto" and learn from that for Thailand... LOL), will not give him any leg up when in the UK. Actually it will hurt him, and the rest of us. So please, for his own safety (!) have him learn to drive in a country that actually thinks that it is important to know the rules of not only the road but also operating a "deadly weapon".

Do keep this in mind, I see fellow Farangs at the hospital were I work everyday. Especially scooter crashes, car accident victims, and even bicycle riders who have run foul of the Thai drivers not having a clue about road safety. Sure not all have the slightest idea how to ride a scooter in the first place and so there are usually more like that who come into my ER. But if you have questions about the point I have tried to make herein... may I suggest that 4 people riding on top of a huge pile of stuff in a totally over loaded 2.8ltr 1/2 ton pickup truck while it is doing 100kph and crossing the yellow no matter if they can see around the corner in time to avoid hitting head on that over loaded tandem truck coming down the hill doing about 4Kph is not the safest way of doing things. That scenario is more the norm rather than the exception here in LOS! In short, it is bad enough out there... do not put your son through it and get him to learn in a proper manner. Having a Thai DL is not accepted everywhere anyway.

silentnine (OP)? SpoonZie? Who is who?

spoonzie = son ... assume thats my lads name on here anyway..

licence = car , manual

agree thai driving style would not help. however it will still teac clutch control and how to drive, the rest could then be taught in the uk

I am sorry, but this idea of getting your son to learn to drive for the first time and doing it here in LOS is, frankly, the dumbest idea I have ever heard! Come on! Have you seen how the Thais drive? Do you really want your son to consider the yellow line down the middle of the road only a 'suggesting', even around blind corners?! Are you kidding about wanting him to do it here simply because it is cheaper than back in the UK?! Listen, take into account the fact that LOS is the 3rd ranked country for road deaths. Get him to take the test and the lessons back in the UK. Price is much higher, yes, but at least he will actually learn how to drive, learn the do's and don'ts, not be a total threat to everyone else on the road, or be forced to accept the honks and the looks with his 'L Plates' on... you know... like the rest of us , and be able to stay alive longer while driving!

The UK procedure is by far one of the best for learning to drive. Sure it maybe a bit overly dramatic and even slightly pedantic but it far better than what you go through here in Thai to get a DL! Sure he can get the Thai test in English, go through the motions, and actually be able two drive at least here. But that 'training', if you can call it that (personally I think it is just as good to get a copy of "Grand Theft Auto" and learn from that for Thailand... LOL), will not give him any leg up when in the UK. Actually it will hurt him, and the rest of us. So please, for his own safety (!) have him learn to drive in a country that actually thinks that it is important to know the rules of not only the road but also operating a "deadly weapon".

Do keep this in mind, I see fellow Farangs at the hospital were I work everyday. Especially scooter crashes, car accident victims, and even bicycle riders who have run foul of the Thai drivers not having a clue about road safety. Sure not all have the slightest idea how to ride a scooter in the first place and so there are usually more like that who come into my ER. But if you have questions about the point I have tried to make herein... may I suggest that 4 people riding on top of a huge pile of stuff in a totally over loaded 2.8ltr 1/2 ton pickup truck while it is doing 100kph and crossing the yellow no matter if they can see around the corner in time to avoid hitting head on that over loaded tandem truck coming down the hill doing about 4Kph is not the safest way of doing things. That scenario is more the norm rather than the exception here in LOS! In short, it is bad enough out there... do not put your son through it and get him to learn in a proper manner. Having a Thai DL is not accepted everywhere anyway.

having no licence at all and spenidng 8 months in los and 4 months in the uk each year it will take him quite a while to learn to drive and get a licence.

the practicality is he could do with a licence for thailand anyway. and if if teaches him the basics it will give him a head start so i or a drivng instructor can teach him better in the uk.

in thailand i have a car and a van sitting doign nothing which he can use AFTER he has been back to the UK and shown he can really drive.

in the UK he will not be jumping in a car and drivng off into the sunset, nor would he be in thailand.

so it will save time and money for him to learn in thailand.

the samne argument works both ways .. leanr in the UK then be thrown in the deep end in thailand with bad drivers .. or learn wherre the bad drivers are then learn safety in the uk after.

Yes, there's a driving school here in HH. Cross the train tracks (straight from soi 55). Keep driving past the supermarket, about 200 meters or so. It's on the right side of the road. They have a 20-hour package (2 hrs. a day, so 10 days) and then they take you to Pranburi and let you use their car to take the test. It's about 4000 baht for everything

• 1 year later...