Thai talk: We aren't becoming ungovernable; we are getting enlightened

webfact

This guy Vorapak realises the fragility of the banking sector when it comes to trust and confidence, trying very hard and imo very correctly to stave off any further rumblings.

Vorapak declared: "I have been working in this field for more than 20 years. I joined Krungthai Bank as a professional banker, not because of politics. I owe nobody any political debt. Therefore, I don't have to repay anybody at the expense of the national interest."

unprecedented in my time here to see this in print from someone with some important standing, be it only financial it is nevertheless impressive and not a little Ironic that a banker is coming out and saying hey ... I am not corrupt like the politicians or those politicising things. w00t.gif

Wow two good stories in one day from the Nation .... maybe the lightbulb has switched on in some areas not dependent on the usual trough they have their own already big enough and dont need another one thats doomed anyway.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

I wouldn't start to get carried away just yet. It could be that certain people are noting the death rattle of the odious Shinawatras and are more emboldened. When a new regime takes over, how do we know that these certain people will not revert to type? Then, of course, is the ingrained money grubbing culture which will always be predominant over morals and principles.

The Nation likes the guy, showing publicity on him, age 46, so far in his career. Yoon is not my favorite among his own faction of the elite. If Vorapak is a pal or personal and professional subsidiary of Yoon Inc, he's quite involved in the sleazebag politics of the former LOS, thus not going to be inclined to help the current government. If a major news organization were writing me up the ladder in my career, I might be somewhat predisposed toward it and its views, priorities, biases, prejudices.

Still, the guy looks less dirty than most.

It would seem Vorapak though has some good creds to stand on:

Education

• MBA in Finance, University of Missouri, Kansas City
  • BS in Management Science & Computer System, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater

Training

• Advanced Bank Lending Education l (1990), Bank of America, Thai
  • Advanced Bank Lending Education ll (1991), Bank of America, Thai
  • Corporate Banking & Corporate Finance (1995), Bank of America, Thai

Given that he was a rising star at the same bank I do my business with both back in the States and here, and that I can say BoA under new leadership has improved greatly since 2010 - its stock price tripling since then - Vorapak can look a lot better than almost all the rest of 'em around these parts.

He might be past the potty training stage professionally but I suspect he's in league with someone I don't particularly care for, name spelled Y-o-o-n.

http://www.ktb.co.th/ktb/en/about-board-directors-detail.aspx?cid=dWlloQ5HoRv2y18uJu1vmA%3D%3D

• Like 1

I think this road to enlightenment can be applied to Thais in general. Politicians are now finding it much harder to manipulate the people in the way they did even a few years ago as they become more aware.

As one of Thailand's favourite farangs would say, keep walking.... wink.png

Yes...he seems to have very good credentials.....But...is he as honest as he protests......?

I'll remain sceptical that businessmen here in Thailand are squeaky clean.....no matter their positions.

I will remain sceptical if anyone anywhere on this planet is squeaky clean

Enlightenment comes with democracy , ungovernable Thailand has been since 1997 Chuan government, so what's the problem.coffee1.gif

I'm truly not sure which is worse, a country whose faux democracy is in plain sight, no illusions from the citizenry, or those who labour under the delusion they're countries have simply been able to hide their autocracy from their biddable sheep coffee1.gif

Does anyone remember Lehman Bros., Fanny May, Feddy Mac and the most odious of all, Goldman Sachs. Whatever is rotten with the banking sector and government in Thailand is amplified 100 times over by the abovementioned. And, wait for it, the American public were required to bail them out, well some of them anyway. Thais enlightened? Not quite, but some people are starting to ask some difficult questions. Maybe that is a start. Just don't hold your breath just yet.

Enlightened means smoking pot and watching Cheech and Chong movies. The political situation in Thailand is far from that. Sorta like watching Cheech and Chong, but without the pot.

There are campsites all over the city and when I walked by the other day i get a warm smell of colitas rising up through the air and I can tell you they all look pretty "enlightened" if that is what you call spacin

Thailand may be getting enlightened but it is a very narrow spotlight. Thailand needs a much bigger spotlight. One that

covers both political parties not just one at a time. People forget that while the rice scheme is a poorly thought out

program to help the rice farmers out of poverty the real issue is the corruption in the program and lack of transparency.

Many government programs around the world loose money and are contentious. Welfare programs in Europe and Canada.

Australia and the USA. All of these programs loose money. But there is no corrupt government individuals and a circle

of friends plundering these programs lining there pockets. For some reason here there is a lack of transparency. Probably

so connected individuals can skim money from the program. That is what has to be cleared up. Of course a better program

for farmers would be one that helps them increase productivity and quality to increase there income. Not just the simple to understand

and implement pledging scheme that pays a 40% premium on rice as compared to the world price. Suthep did nothing to clean up

corruption when he and the Democrats were running the country just a few years ago. On the contrary he was squarely focused

on lining his own pockets. Corruption increased in the country under the Democrats leadership. So it is a little rich he is now the

figurehead screaming against corruption. Just the pot calling the kettle black as far as I am concerned. Ban the top 100 from each

parties lists would be a good start. Two term limits for all politicians at all levels of governments. Maybe two academics should be elected

from each university by the students that are registered full time. I certainly am not the guy with the answers but I do know the current

leaders of both parties are not the answer either. whistling.gif