EC now says official voter turnout is 47.72%

webfact

EC now says official voter turnout is 47.72%

voters-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission today released the latest official voter turnout of the February 2 general election at 47.72%.

EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong said the figures were counted from 68 provinces where in some areas of these provinces voting was forced to close ahead of the 3 p.m. closing hours, and also excluded nine southern provinces where election could not be held.

They were Krabi, Chumphon, Trang, Patthalung, Phang Nga, Phuket, Ranong, Songkhla and Surat Thani. Advance voting on January was also not counted in this latest voter turnout.

The EC secretary-general said there was a total of 43,024,786 eligible voters in the election. Of the total eligible voters, 20,530,359 or 47.72% showed up to cast their votes.

Of all the ballots casted by voters, he said 14,645,812 were valid or 71.34%, and 2,458,461 were invalid or 11.97%, and 3,426,080 were vote-no ballots or 16.69%.

For Bangkok Metropolis, he said, a total of 1,133,296 voters or 25.94% from a total of 4,369,120 eligible voters casted their votes. From all the ballots casted, 775,821 or 68.46% were valid, and 90,923 or 8.02% were invalid, and 266,552 were vote-no ballots or 23.52%.

He said Chiang Mai registered the highest voter turnout of 827,808 voters or 75.05% from a total 1,103,069 eligible voters. Of the total ballots casted, 530,427 or 64.08% were valid, 129,983 or 15.7% were invalid, and 167,398 or 20.22% were vote-no ballots.

Lamphun had the second highest voter turnout of 241,209 voters or 73.39% from a total of 328,667 eligible voters.

The lowest voter turnout was in Nakhon Si Thammarat with 1,302 voters casting their ballots or 8.78% from a total of 14,825 eligible voters in constituencies which could open for voting.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ec-now-says-official-voter-turnout-47-72/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-06

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even 47.72% is the worst ever voter turnout in Thai history. Then to chose to deface ballots or cast "no vote" in protest of both the process and the regime overseeing it sends a pretty solid message to the regime that they are not wanted.

Like I said though I hope they get 43% or above of the vote..It will make the courts jobs so much easier.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai with a 20.22% vote-no count speaks volumes.

This is the regime leaders home town and the home for the terrorist wing of the PTP called RCM51. They are a loud, violent minority used to keep the silent majority silent and in perpetual fear.

Not that it matters. Elections will be nullified. The picture below showing "vote counting" (if you can call it that) in Chanthaburi says it all.

What I would love to see is that the ballot box translates to the PTP being more popular than the last election. That would make the EC's job easy in nullifying the elections and would ensure the PTP are brought up on charges of vote manipulation as well.

Please get more than 43% of the vote. PLEASE.

Chiang Mai with a 20.22% vote-no count speaks volumes

How true! it means an 80% yes-vote

i think it means about 20% of 75% of those who voted didn't want to vote for any of the candidates. So without knowing how they voted you can take comfort from knowing that a maximum 60% of the Chiang Mai public happily voted for PT ... which is impressive and useful if they declare a new republic in northern Thailand.

• Like 1

This is the regime leaders home town and the home for the terrorist wing of the PTP called RCM51. They are a loud, violent minority used to keep the silent majority silent and in perpetual fear.

Not that it matters. Elections will be nullified. The picture below showing "vote counting" (if you can call it that) in Chanthaburi says it all.

What I would love to see is that the ballot box translates to the PTP being more popular than the last election. That would make the EC's job easy in nullifying the elections and would ensure the PTP are brought up on charges of vote manipulation as well.

cheesy.gif

Read the article? 16% in Chiang Mai voters defaced their ballots as well. 64% were valid.

Of that 64% not all would have voted for the regime either...

Is it really in our vested interest to spread the above kind of innuendo re RCM51? Is it objective? Relevant? Pertinent to what Thai people are facing? A peoples government put in place by a corrupt and also man under TW0 arrest warrants wanted or needed in power?? I don't know anymore for either side. What is of the gravest concern to me is my adopted homeland and its people. I no longer see the relevance of our collective thoughts, though only the wonderful people that live here. Both sides have been perpetrators of violence and added to the instability of the kingdom. What would be nice to see is solidarity, support, words of hope and encouragement for all Thais from TV members. Our own bickering brings nothing to the table but infighting and division. Does not this country have enough of this already? Can we not as a group of guests here be more positive in our posts? I guess that is for the individual to decide but this is my resolution and stance from hereon in. Peace to the people of Thailand no matter your colour so to speak and to his Majesty the King, long may he reign.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Cricketnut

i think it means about 20% of 75% of those who voted didn't want to vote for any of the candidates. So without knowing how they voted you can take comfort from knowing that a maximum 60% of the Chiang Mai public happily voted for PT ... which is impressive and useful if they declare a new republic in northern Thailand.

That would be a tragedy to the Nation should that ever occur...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, it means that 80% voted for ANY of the 50 (?) parties registerd

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong earlier this week boldly proclaimed that on February 2 the overwhelming majority of voters expressed their love for democracy ( and by clear implication Pheu Thai ). I wonder if the 47.72 % of people who are now known to have voted represents the majority he was referring to ? These numbers are fascinating to look at. Chiang Mai is particularly fascinating, because although they had the highest percentage of turnout in the country, they also had the highest percentage of " no " votes. As the number of " no " votes in the country was a staggering 3.4 million plus votes, it may turn out that Prompong was right at least about one thing. They believed in democracy too.

Even 47.72% is the worst ever voter turnout in Thai history. Then to chose to deface ballots or cast "no vote" in protest of both the process and the regime overseeing it sends a pretty solid message to the regime that they are not wanted.

Like I said though I hope they get 43% or above of the vote..It will make the courts jobs so much easier.

For some funny reason, when reading your posts, the following idiom comes to mind:

"There are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See"........

Yes I "will not see" a future of Thailand overseen by a regime whose leader is a criminal whose crimes of corruption seem to cascade down into current regime policy. And you can be assured that the tears that are blinding me are not crocodile tears, but tears of joy knowing that this regime is in it's last death throws and "15" not "1" principle of democracy will be restored.

Thanks for the comment.

• Like 1

For some funny reason, when reading your posts, the following idiom comes to mind:

Great post, so very true!

The Democrats lost!

Big Time!

They need to get used to it, there is no manipulation that will change that, I think the voter turn out speaks volumes myself, Yellow's point to the no-vote total as a vote against PTP, I see them as a neutral vote not for PTP nor for the anti-democracy stop the vote Crunch bunch.

Remember every one that went to vote supported the Thai Democracy! And rejected the protestors plan.

Peace

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 2

The Democrats lost!

Big Time!

They need to get used to it, there is no manipulation that will change that, I think the voter turn out speaks volumes myself, Yellow's point to the no-vote total as a vote against PTP, I see them as a neutral vote not for PTP nor for the anti-democracy stop the vote Crunch bunch.

Remember every one that went to vote supported the Thai Democracy! And rejected the protestors plan.

Peace

Kikoman, I read your post 1o times and I still don't understand it. Might want to clarify

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong earlier this week boldly proclaimed that on February 2 the overwhelming majority of voters expressed their love for democracy ( and by clear implication Pheu Thai ). I wonder if the 47.72 % of people who are now known to have voted represents the majority he was referring to ? These numbers are fascinating to look at. Chiang Mai is particularly fascinating, because although they had the highest percentage of turnout in the country, they also had the highest percentage of " no " votes. As the number of " no " votes in the country was a staggering 3.4 million plus votes, it may turn out that Prompong was right at least about one thing. They believed in democracy too.

Considering the large turnout in CM, it would seem likely that the Dem supporters decide to go to the polls as well (otherwise the turnout would have been close to 100%). Since there were no Dem candidates, it is not surprising that they would either vote no or to make their vote invalid.

Seems like the Northern Dems does not share the sentiments of the Central and Southern Dems.

Yes I "will not see" a future of Thailand overseen by a regime whose leader is a criminal whose crimes of corruption seem to cascade down into current regime policy. And you can be assured that the tears that are blinding me are not crocodile tears, but tears of joy knowing that this regime is in it's last death throws and "15" not "1" principle of democracy will be restored.

Thanks for the comment.

I was referring to your interpretation of the stats, nothing more.

No matter the statistics presented.... money will buy something in a result.

I hope not..... but based on history........ hum, mpr?

Let's wait and see shall we? As opposed to arguing areas and numbers... None of know what is really going on behind the scenes:

as do the rest of the majority of Thais don't really understand what is happening!

Considering the large turnout in CM, it would seem likely that the Dem supporters decide to go to the polls as well (otherwise the turnout would have been close to 100%). Since there were no Dem candidates, it is not surprising that they would either vote no or to make their vote invalid.

Seems like the Northern Dems does not share the sentiments of the Central and Southern Dems.

So now they have to be a Dem! to have voted No or to have not voted.. How about just disillusioned Thai's who have had enough of them all (i would image that's a high percentage of the country)

The Democrats lost!

Big Time!

Peace

Kikoman, I read your post 1o times and I still don't understand it. Might want to clarify

God help us all.

He's in his own little world confounded by polysyllables and bewildered by digits

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

oh statistics and lies

You mean 25% of all CM voters did not even come out to vote..

Then of the 75% that voted 22 % voted no

means 40% is against taxin 25 + 16,5 (75% x 22%)

and from the rest its not even clear that they voted for PTP

So wow big majority in their stronghold.. maybe not even 50% Can you imagine how low it is outside of there. They can never again claim majority support. Humiliating.

How do you know that every single person of those 25% that did not come out to vote is against Puea Thai?

If anything is humiliating its your logic.

what you mean is your not bright enough to understand what hes written....w00t.gif

So now they have to be a Dem! to have voted No or to have not voted.. How about just disillusioned Thai's who have had enough of them all (i would image that's a high percentage of the country)

I don't suppose to know who voted and who did not vote. I am purely stating probabilities and likelihoods.

A 75% turnout of all eligible voters is, as far as I know, a normal turnout.

The PDRC and the Dems were calling onto their supporters to boycott the elections.

Since 75% of all eligible voters turned out to vote, it seems probable that even the PDRC and Dem supporters ignored that message.

Agree?

If so.....

they are now at the ballot box. They look down at the list of candidates and cor blimey! The person they wanted to vote for is not on the list! What to do? What to do? Do they vote the opposition? Of course not! Do they vote for someone they have never heard of? Of course not! What to do? What to do? I think, and it's purely my opinion mind you, I think it is very probable that they might just decide to vote no. Agree?

If you disagree, I would genuinely and sincerely like to know why. I always like to hear opposing arguments. That is the only way to expand our horizons and knowledge.

The PDRC and the Dems were calling onto their supporters to boycott the elections.

Since 75% of all eligible voters turned out to vote, it seems probable that even the PDRC and Dem supporters ignored that message.

Agree?

I thought the overall turnout for this election was less than 50% - or are you reffering to a specific province?

Agree?

I thought the overall turnout for this election was less than 50% - or are you reffering to a specific province?

Yes, we are specifically discussing CM here.