Powder coating supplies? Anyone tell me where to get the powder?

robsamui

Hi. Spent an hour looking through the posts, but all there is are guys wanting to know where to get bits powder coated.

I want to find places where I can buy the powders themselves - the suppliers that sell stuff to the garages who do the coating.

I can buy from eBay but at 5x the price and all the hassles of customs etc.

If anyone could make a few enquiries for me, I'd be real grateful.

Thanks in anticipation,

R

Since the places that do powder coating in Thailand are very limited, I doubt you will find a supplier of the products here.

Anyway do a google for Jotun powder coating Thailand, as they have a powder coating plant in Chonburi province, and since they are paint manufacturers they maybe able to supply the materials.

Since the places that do powder coating in Thailand are very limited, I doubt you will find a supplier of the products here.

Anyway do a google for Jotun powder coating Thailand, as they have a powder coating plant in Chonburi province, and since they are paint manufacturers they maybe able to supply the materials.

Thanks - but from what I've been reading and hearing there are places scattered all over Thailand doing powder coating - BKK, Chiang Mai, Surat Thani, Had Yai, Pattaya . . .these are only the ones that I know of . . . and sure as hell they are not importing their stuff from outside - it would work out to an extra several thousand baht a (small) job just to pay for the shipping costs, never mind the import duties.

I'll set my Thai chums onto tracking down Jotun - thanks for the info.

R

Edited by robsamui

Thanks - but from what I've been reading and hearing there are places scattered all over Thailand doing powder coating - BKK, Chiang Mai, Surat Thani, Had Yai, Pattaya . . .these are only the ones that I know of . . . and sure as hell they are not importing their stuff from outside - it would work out to an extra several thousand baht a (small) job just to pay for the shipping costs, never mind the import duties.

R

Jotun is a Scandinavian company manufacturing their paints in Thailand, so there would be no importing be involved .

R

Jotun is a Scandinavian company manufacturing their paints in Thailand, so there would be no importing be involved .

I was just going on your info about no suppliers of products here . . .

Hmmm. Don't tell the suppliers that!

I only know there are two basic types. Epoxy for Indoor and Polyester for Outdoor.

Edited by VocalNeal

It's massing that people with so limited knowledge can actual talk about a industry in Thailand,

The truth is that in Thailand we have a very very active communities of powder painting companies, to be honest I represent one of those companies. And we have to agree that only 7% of the company turnover is based on the automotive industry. We can guarantee a 99% color match

Thailand had one of the highest capability per country of any in Southeast Asia if it comes to Powder Coating... If you cannot find the right business partner by the regular channels, you can always can contact me by PM..... But not forget I will laugh endless if's just one item...

Thailand had one of the highest capability per country of any in Southeast Asia if it comes to Powder Coating

That maybe true, but Thailand has the lowest capability of any country in marketing as it is nigh on impossible to find anything here unless you're prepared to trawl through thousands of inane posts on panthip or sanook.

Hence the OP, I guess.

Exactly right - and in spite of "the highest capability of any country in SE Asia" . . . I still have no idea of where to buy powder from!

Surely somebody can have a word with the guy in their local powder coating shop . . .

R

R

Update Jotun - they supply a minimum of 200 kgms (yes, KILOGRAMS) per order.

And, according to their website, most of their colours are boring plain vanilla for industry and architecture.

I want stuff like this!

12451316855_183586b5d9_n.jpg12451315415_2e04d26f82_n.jpg

12451314155_335b37fa97.jpg

12451470663_8a3dee33fe_n.jpg

R

• Like 1

as it is nigh on impossible to find anything here unless you're prepared to trawl through thousands of inane posts on panthip or sanook.

But you will be surprised what one can find if one steps out from behind a keyboard and actually goes looking.

Edited by VocalNeal

as it is nigh on impossible to find anything here unless you're prepared to trawl through thousands of inane posts on panthip or sanook.

But you will be surprised what one can find if one steps out from behind a keyboard and actually goes looking.

I spent ages enquiring at body shops a couple of years ago before I had my old bike resprayed. I eventually found a shop that said they could do it and guess what? They just used normal car paint on the parts they said they would powdercoat. When I questioned them, they said, 'no can do'. Yet another case of dealing with retarded Thais. Mai bpen rai...

• Like 1

I have a Thai missus and even she has trouble communicating my needs to some Thai people. Take for example a welders chipping hammer. After describing what it's used for they go and rummage around in the back of the store and come out with a ballpien hammer! Luckily my daughter bought 2 in Oz and they can over with her at xmas.

And by the way, there are no welders chipping hammers in Pattaya....except for my 2!

• Like 1

I have a Thai missus and even she has trouble communicating my needs to some Thai people. Take for example a welders chipping hammer. After describing what it's used for they go and rummage around in the back of the store and come out with a ballpien hammer! Luckily my daughter bought 2 in Oz and they can over with her at xmas.

And by the way, there are no welders chipping hammers in Pattaya....except for my 2!

What you do with 2 chipping hammers ? If you hold one in each hand you can't do any welding.

What you do with 2 chipping hammers ? If you hold one in each hand you can't do any welding.

Both in the same hand, silly - twice as fast. Thought it was only Thais who think in straight lines . . . ;-)

R

Edited by robsamui

From my limited experience local welders make their own from a couple of pieces of rebar.

• Like 1

From my limited experience local welders make their own from a couple of pieces of rebar.

My welders used to make their own out of the cup section of a truck wheel bearing...damn near indestructible once tempered right wink.png

You don't use the chipping hammers till after your finished some of the welding. Then if you've done a good job you just hit the steel a few times and the slag falls off. I like to de-slag twice as quick! biggrin.png

VN and Nealy I don't have rebar or broken truck axles here in LOS!

Edited by BSJ

Why not just go to the lincoln welder shop in laem chabang.

You don't use the chipping hammers till after your finished some of the welding. Then if you've done a good job you just hit the steel a few times and the slag falls off. I like to de-slag twice as quick! :

If one is really good the slag will be lifting off on its own, like a dead caterpillar, as the welding proceeds!

Pattaya Powder Coating does vibrant colours like those. maybe ask them where they get their powders from.

Never saw vibrant colors there. They have very few colors maybe eight varieties. They cant even do repsol orange.

I saw about 20 different colours there a few days ago, they also said if I want a colour they do not have let them know and they will get it in.

I did like their metallic satin black.

Edited by Spoonman

• 4 weeks later...

It was nice to see everyone chatting amongst themselves, but not being in Pattaya or having any idea where the shop mentioned is, cos nobody told me, I'm still trying to find powder colours in Thailand.

And thanks for the suggestion, the guy who told me that it was amazing how much I could discover if I got away from my keyboard and started looking around. I thought the whole idea of using internet technology was to avoid having to take two years off work and hiking all over Thailand knocking on every door. But I must have got that one all wrong . . .

In the meantime I've ended up buying 7 different colours from an excellent supplier in America. They have a stunning range and not too pricey (to my mind) at $8 per pound for the basic colours and $15 for the trick stuff. The downside is that for every $10 spent it costs $10 in shipping costs. And that's not allowing for customs intervention. The stuff is on its way now and with luck it will go unnoticed. But shipments from America seem to be like a magnet, so I might have to add another $50+ to the total, averaging out at at more or less $25 a pound. Sigh.

Wish me luck everyone!

R

And thanks for the suggestion, the guy who told me that it was amazing how much I could discover if I got away from my keyboard and started looking around. I thought the whole idea of using internet technology was to avoid having to take two years off work and hiking all over Thailand knocking on every door. But I must have got that one all wrong . . .

That was me. facepalm.gif Maybe not literally but my experience is that most things are available here but it does take legwork, I have spent days wandering around China town looking for stuff. Sometime I find a shop and then even having a business card I still have difficulty finding the place again. Living on a small tropical island not know for its industrial output does not help your cause. Add to that that the processes you are interested in are all B2B and not retail means that companies involved do not need flashy websites to draw attention to their products.

Then again if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Did you send Richard a PM yet?

Why not just go to the lincoln welder shop in laem chabang.

Exactly where is that?