Sound of ticking time bombs is getting louder for Yingluck

webfact

The sad truth about Thailand is that democracy can be obstructed to the point that it is meaningless exercise, Then 'law abiding' citizens, like those who write editorials for the Nation, can point to the Constitution to say this is the 'way things should be'. The 'rule of law' was abandoned when the elections were obstructed. What follows will be a meaningless exercise in interpreting a Constitution that has become a document that isn't worth the paper on which it is written.

It was meaningless long before that when a corrupt government decided to remove the checks and balances and not face accountability on the rice scam.

If they had the two trillion baht loan they would have paid the rice farmers with it even though it was not for that.

Corrupt.. incompetent.. thinking that because they were voted in it was ok.

Dissolving Parliament is an ultimate check and balance. Yet, the Democrats and the PDRC decided that dissolution wasn't enough. There had to be a concerted effort to boycott and block the election process - the true underpinning of democracy. Since when did democracy mean that everyone agrees with what the government does? If you have faith in the 'system' then it should hold those accountable for illegal acts - to include the PTP, the PDRC and the Democratic party -- right? Then we can wait for everyone to serve their jail sentences to convene Parliament.

That is the whole point, I dont have faith in the system its rigged to help whoever is in power. Changes must be made to root out this kind of corruption and put in stronger measures against corruption. Then let them get back to power I could not care less as long as they are accountable.

If you think that stepping down means they are accountable then you and I have a different idea. Corruption should carry jailterm. Corruption can be proven soon in the rice scheme and that means that the chair woman should be accountable.

Without change this whole drama will start over again.. once the party in power cant steal.. then there wont be any problems as the need to be in power to get rich is gone. Its that simple. So tough corruption laws would help.

Remember how they wanted to make it so that family members could be in the senate.. and 25.000 cases of corruption would be gone because of the amnesty. That should never ever have been possible.

• Like 1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think she wanted the job to begin with, it seemed like she was just being dutiful all the time. I feel that in her private moments she will be grateful when its all over. And of course, that is the last thing you want in a PM.

In Asian cultures the loyalty is always to the family. Yingluck was used as the family figurehead for a number of Taksins companies and it was also the case for the government. Cushy number just attending meetings, letting the lawyers do all the work and rubber stamping things? Being an PM is not that easy, though!

So illegal protests and violent obstruction of polling stations are rewarded in the Land of Smiles? Who'd a thunk it?

Many people are forgetting about the Red Shirts, since the precedence has already been set by Suthep all they need to do is shut down the Senate election in the North and Northeast , not to allow the election in their power base no need to bother with Bangkok at all.

Once it is a possibility that Yingluck will be disposed by the Judicial coup, and the rural folks start putting together, Suthep promise to lower the minimum wage back to 200 baht, and the elite's dislike for the 30 baht health care and the other programs they will be in line to lose, things could drastically change.

Do not count your time bombs before they explode, as bigger one can be on the horizon for Thailand.

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

So illegal protests and violent obstruction of polling stations are rewarded in the Land of Smiles? Who'd a thunk it?

Many people are forgetting about the Red Shirts, since the precedence has already been set by Suthep all they need to do is shut down the Senate election in the North and Northeast , not to allow the election in their power base no need to bother with Bangkok at all.

Once it is a possibility that Yingluck will be disposed by the Judicial coup, and the rural folks start putting together, Suthep promise to lower the minimum wage back to 200 baht, and the elite's dislike for the 30 baht health care and the other programs they will be in line to lose, things could drastically change.

Do not count your time bombs before they explode, as bigger one can be on the horizon for Thailand.

Cheers

Scaremongering..

The democrats made the 30bt free.. because it costed more to collect.. the PTP brought it back at higher cost just because it was Taksins plan. As for the minimum wage.. they wont change that back... Both things wont happen.

But yes its quite possible YL gets disposed and that is a good thing.. then change the laws make it strong and let new elections come. PTP might win but at least then it will be harder for them to rape Thailand finances. Just like the rice scam.

• Like 1

Cheers

Scaremongering..

The democrats made the 30bt free.. because it costed more to collect.. the PTP brought it back at higher cost just because it was Taksins plan. As for the minimum wage.. they wont change that back... Both things wont happen.

But yes its quite possible YL gets disposed and that is a good thing.. then change the laws make it strong and let new elections come. PTP might win but at least then it will be harder for them to rape Thailand finances. Just like the rice scam.

The 30 baht program was one of Thaksin's much hated by the elite populous program, the Democrats did drop the 30 baht and promised to raise the minimum wage to 300 baht per hour the rich complained and Abhisit and the Demo's dropped the idea that PTP raised the minimum wage to 300 baht.

Who gave more to the rural people Thaksin did, the Democrats merely dropped the co payment of 30 baht, nothing else Thaksin gave them medical coverage for the first time in their lives!

On the minimum wage I will inform the villagers that a Farang on TV promised they would not lower the wage! When the laugh is over they will continue to plan their actions to any judicial coup or military coup.

Scaremongering, B/S you really believe the Red Shirts will not react violently when their voice is disregarded again!, You will see how wrong you are!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

Quote from Thanong who is usually quite reliable:

"And since a country cannot function without a government, a new prime minister can be appointed to form an interim government via Article 7 of the Constitution. The president of the Senate will forward the name of the candidate to serve as Thailand's next prime minister to His Majesty the King for royal endorsement."

If this is correct then all the upfront claims by yingluck, surapong, chalem, tarit and more that an appointed pm was impossible by law are now shown to be in fact lies and deliberate misrepresentation of the truth.

Kindly read the following because it might help you to keep up. If you can keep up you necessarily would reduce self-embarrassment such as in your post above.

Because the Nation editorial board wrote on December 10th last year,

"However, there is no clear legal provision for installing an interim government outside the electoral system. Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban and his legal advisers have suggested that, as head of state, His Majesty the King could apply Section 7 of the Constitution to allow for the appointment of a non-elected prime minister and caretaker government while a "people's council" drafts new rules for a new "game".

"But Section 7 simply says: "Whenever no provision under this Constitution is applicable to any case, it shall be decided in accordance with the constitutional convention in the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State." Suthep faces great difficulty in twisting this proviso to mean that His Majesty should choose someone for the top government job rather than the broad electorate. In 2006 the King decided he had no authority to do so in such a situation and deemed the notion undemocratic.

"The charter stipulates that the "constitutional convention in the democratic regime of government" is to have an elected prime minister. Anything else would violate democratic norms. Of course, this country has a long history of non-elected premiers, but we only have to review the record of dictatorships over the years to see how disastrous they can be. Elections are still the best way to choose a leader - and the only way in a country that wishes to call itself democratic."

Cheers

Scaremongering..

The 30 baht program was one of Thaksin's much hated by the elite populous program, the Democrats did drop the 30 baht and promised to raise the minimum wage to 300 baht per hour the rich complained and Abhisit and the Demo's dropped the idea that PTP raised the minimum wage to 300 baht.

Who gave more to the rural people Thaksin did, the Democrats merely dropped the co payment of 30 baht, nothing else Thaksin gave them medical coverage for the first time in their lives!

On the minimum wage I will inform the villagers that a Farang on TV promised they would not lower the wage! When the laugh is over they will continue to plan their actions to any judicial coup or military coup.

Scaremongering, B/S you really believe the Red Shirts will not react violently when their voice is disregarded again!, You will see how wrong you are!

Cheers

Funny you accept your wrong about healthcare.. that it was scaremongering and that the democrats have no intention of changing it and still come back like this.

Your funny Viva the revolution kinda guy i think, you seem to think in black and white a lot.

Anyway nobody would lower the minimum wage it would be political suicide, i can't understand that you don't see that.

IF YL broke the rules.. and it really looks she has.. its only fair if she is removed. The rice scam is the biggest corruption scandal ever and she chaired it. Red shirts seem to think its ok to lie and steal as long as your voted in. I dont.. and i would support a coup or judicial coup or whatever against the democrats too if they were corrupt.

I prefer changes now to make sure NOBODY can steal that much and the government will be there for the people. Not this bunch of incompetent thieves.

• Like 1

Are you on heroin?! Of course not!!!! Just the 20th time they have said they would ;-)

Some fahlang right wingers at this particular thread are posting about opponents and drugs. Even if it's rhetorical, the tactic indicates a vacuuous desperation which grows out of their intellectual and cultural bankruptcy in dealing with the topic and other posters.

More so, it's trolling.

• Like 1

Sound of ticking time bombs is getting louder for Yingluck

Thanong Khanthong

BANGKOK: -- That Thailand will get an interim government is now inevitable. The tenure of Yingluck Shinawatra's caretaker administration will end unceremoniously on April 1.

Constitutionally speaking, it cannot last beyond that deadline.

Well, that means there'll just be another red mob waiting from the orders from the man of Dubai; enough brainwashed supporters in Thailand, who would follow orders without questioning and technically believe in the same old white-to-BLACK-lie-populist policies all over again.... and taking it on battlefield Bangkok for ANOTHER disruption of business and peace in daily life...

... wanna bet???? thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

There is another red mob already, they will probably be already denouncing the Shinawatra's and the drunken court jester, capitalizing on the woes of Yingluck, I could see many current PTP MP's jumping ship just to save their free meal tickets blaming all on the Shinawatra's and their cronies.

Why bother, it might even run smoother if nothing is done. The whole place could return ( small step ) to tribal rule. With each village head running his bit.

Like Belgium did for over a year and a half, no parliament, ticked along, and no thieves at the trough.

Cheers

Scaremongering..

Cheers

Funny you accept your wrong about healthcare.. that it was scaremongering and that the democrats have no intention of changing it and still come back like this.

Your funny Viva the revolution kinda guy i think, you seem to think in black and white a lot.

Anyway nobody would lower the minimum wage it would be political suicide, i can't understand that you don't see that.

IF YL broke the rules.. and it really looks she has.. its only fair if she is removed. The rice scam is the biggest corruption scandal ever and she chaired it. Red shirts seem to think its ok to lie and steal as long as your voted in. I dont.. and i would support a coup or judicial coup or whatever against the democrats too if they were corrupt.

I prefer changes now to make sure NOBODY can steal that much and the government will be there for the people. Not this bunch of incompetent thieves.

Hey, I can tell you do not live in a Red Shirt village, I do! in a post I wrote 3 months ago I mentioned that people in the village where concerned that Suthep was going to try to take their health care away, as he was stating on his protest stage. The talk in the village makes me worry about Thailand's future.

The Lunatic fringe of the protesters have been having a field day attacking the people of the north! All the hell and damnation rained down on them from the protest stage in Bangkok, did not go unnoticed.

You seem to not have a clue to what is happening in Thailand, you think it is a little game that old man play from the safety of their bar stool. Again it does not matter what any Farang has to say, all Farang's do not have a right to vote it up or down, never will, same as I.

I can only support my family's decisions completely and will only fight if my home is threatened. otherwise I leave it to my many Thai Family , friends and neighbors to take up the cause as it is their freedom and their way of life being threatened.

What you prefer does not matter again you have no say, Funny how so many are so clue less of the long history of Suthep's corruption which are facts of history and he is writing a new chapter in his corruption plagued history by purchasing land with protest money, Some, do not have a clue!!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

1. Subsidised health care was not a Thaksin thinks idea, and the Dems made it more economical for the country and more affordable for the main beneficiaries.

2. The Dems did promise a raise of the minimum wage, but incrementally over time, meaning it was for sustainable and far less damaging to the entire country, no inflation spike, plus PTP originally said it was a 300B for everyone, then had to back-track to only skilled labourers, who would have been earning more than that anyway.

3. The Dems offered and supported subsidised clothing and learning materials, which would help the rural Thais more than a cheapo nasty little non=functioning tablets that never turned up.

When you manage to open your eyes, you may be able to see reality, and hopefully come to the realisation that the last two lines of your post (apart from Cheers) do nothing other than promote violence from the side your wife is on.

Cheers.

Thaksin's government did introduce the 30 Baht health scheme. PT did introduce the minimum wage without damage to the economy. The tablets have turned up and do work (I've seen films of them in schools).

If the policies of the so-called "Democrat party" are so good, how come the rural people don't vote for them?

If the policies of the so-called "Democrat party" are so good why didn't the so-called "Democrat party" stand in the recent election?

If you are going to answer "because PT buy votes", that is not a good answer because the so-called "Democrat party" outspent PT. In any case, vote buying does not have a significant effect on Thai elections, according to independent experts. Good policies and good campaigning do have a significant effect.

If the policies of the so-called "Democrat party" are so good (and they might be), why don't they campaign on those policies and try to win elections instead of trying to block voting and backing the insurrectionist Suthep?

• Like 1

The rice purchase plan was a bad idea, bad economics, and evidently unaffordable, but corruption? Did the government lie about what it planned? Was it implemented while nobody was looking? Can you identify any laws that were broken?

I'm not sure what changes you prefer. Thailand already has a constitution written by a military government with the help of old school judges. This flawed constitution, "approved" in a vote was a choice between restricted democracy or continued military rule, protects the military from the democratically elected government and greatly increases the power of courts at the expense of democratic institutions. The courts are top heavy with appointed members of the traditional elite, as are the 70 appointed Senators. How much more do you want to restrict democracy?

Oh, right. Suthep wants to reform the election process, presumably to ensure that the winners aren't determined by the majority. That will pretty much bury what is left of democracy in this country.

• Like 2

Thaksin's government did introduce the 30 Baht health scheme. PT did introduce the minimum wage without damage to the economy. The tablets have turned up and do work (I've seen films of them in schools).

If the policies of the so-called "Democrat party" are so good, how come the rural people don't vote for them?

If the policies of the so-called "Democrat party" are so good why didn't the so-called "Democrat party" stand in the recent election?

If you are going to answer "because PT buy votes", that is not a good answer because the so-called "Democrat party" outspent PT. In any case, vote buying does not have a significant effect on Thai elections, according to independent experts. Good policies and good campaigning do have a significant effect.

If the policies of the so-called "Democrat party" are so good (and they might be), why don't they campaign on those policies and try to win elections instead of trying to block voting and backing the insurrectionist Suthep?

One should get out of the village and live in the real world and you would realize Thailand is running out of money, in the villages they only hear the stories from corrupt politicians, what they can not grasp is while they vote for those criminals their country gets poorer as the politicians get richer, and now can not pay the farmers in full for last years crop, in a few weeks the farmers will have more rice which they can not sell, in the mean time money is running out and I am sure the free health service will soon run out of funds without the divine intervention of Suthep.

Those people who voted for the Shinawatra's and their cronies have only themselves to blame, yet they are the ones hardest hit.

What world do you live in?

In case you haven't heard, the villages have electricity, telephones, television, internet and other good stuff. Also, these villagers have been sending their children to university. And (I'm anticipating a bigoted, ignorant comment about Thai universities), while there are some diploma mills in Thailand (as in the west) there are also some very good universities. I know some of these university students, they're very sharp. From what I've heard from these students, I give most of their parents credit for enough intelligence to vote for the party that best represents their long-term interests.

As to why they vote for PT, who knows? I suspect the Democrats, who routinely refer to northern and north-eastern voters with contempt, pissed them off. Would you trust a party that treated you with contempt? If the Democrats aren't smart enough to figure this out, they don't deserve to win an election.

Finally, "the divine intervention of Suthep"? Are you serious? If so, you are clearly not living in the real world.

Sorry Pipkins, Suthep got far more votes than Yingluck.

He told people not to vote and 53%of the electorate didn't.

That's about 23 million people!

I would be ashamed to come up with a foolish statement like this.For an honest and intelligent analysis Chis Baker has done a first class summary.Google it.

On the broader front the New York Times has an interesting article including reference to a damning indictment of the Suthep mob by Virabongsa Ramangkura, and an interesting take on the army/coup option.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/world/asia/petition-to-nullify-thai-election-is-rejected-in-setback-for-opposition.html?ref=world&_r=0

The New York Times is a mouthpiece for the Globalists of the Carlyle Group and Bilderburg Group for which Dr. Thaksin is their front man. New York banks seek control of the World, Thailand included. For my part, I would prefer Thai elites to exploit Thais rather than Global elites exploit Thais. Poor people the World over will always be exploited. This battle is to decide if Thais control Thailand's government and economy or Globalists do. The New York Times is good for wiping you ass if you have nothing else.

• Like 2

Cheers

'Suthep promise to lower the minimum wage back to 200 baht'

Link? or made up BS

Cheers

Scaremongering..

Cheers

'The 30 baht program was one of Thaksin's much hated by the elite populous program'

Where do you get your polling on what the elites think of Thaksin's policies? Or, do you just make up stuff?

Hey, I can tell you do not live in a Red Shirt village, I do! in a post I wrote 3 months ago I mentioned that people in the village where concerned that Suthep was going to try to take their health care away, as he was stating on his protest stage. The talk in the village makes me worry about Thailand's future.

The Lunatic fringe of the protesters have been having a field day attacking the people of the north! All the hell and damnation rained down on them from the protest stage in Bangkok, did not go unnoticed.

You seem to not have a clue to what is happening in Thailand, you think it is a little game that old man play from the safety of their bar stool. Again it does not matter what any Farang has to say, all Farang's do not have a right to vote it up or down, never will, same as I.

I can only support my family's decisions completely and will only fight if my home is threatened. otherwise I leave it to my many Thai Family , friends and neighbors to take up the cause as it is their freedom and their way of life being threatened.

What you prefer does not matter again you have no say, Funny how so many are so clue less of the long history of Suthep's corruption which are facts of history and he is writing a new chapter in his corruption plagued history by purchasing land with protest money, Some, do not have a clue!!

Cheers

"Hey, I can tell you do not live in a Red Shirt village, I do! .............The talk in the village makes me worry about Thailand's future."

I have read some stupid <deleted> posted on TVF but this has got to take some sort of prize. Putting up Red village (the human equivalent of a mushroom farm) gossip as some sort of credible source is mind-blowing, if you have a mind to blow.

• Like 2

1. Subsidised health care was not a Thaksin thinks idea, and the Dems made it more economical for the country and more affordable for the main beneficiaries.

2. The Dems did promise a raise of the minimum wage, but incrementally over time, meaning it was for sustainable and far less damaging to the entire country, no inflation spike, plus PTP originally said it was a 300B for everyone, then had to back-track to only skilled labourers, who would have been earning more than that anyway.

3. The Dems offered and supported subsidised clothing and learning materials, which would help the rural Thais more than a cheapo nasty little non=functioning tablets that never turned up.

When you manage to open your eyes, you may be able to see reality, and hopefully come to the realisation that the last two lines of your post (apart from Cheers) do nothing other than promote violence from the side your wife is on.

Cheers.

A survey was conducted before the last almost free and fair election and people were presented with a list of policies without being told whose promises they were.

The Democrat promises were favoured,.

Until some found out that they were from the Dems and voted the other way.

Me grandad voted Labour, me dad voted Labour, if ar don't vote Labour no one will talk to me.

You could paint a pig bright red, hang a PTP rosette on it, and it would still get voted for here.

I think that answers your question.

The tablets have turned up and do work (I've seen films of them in schools).

I've worked in schools, some tablets did turn up, nothing like the number promised, some did work, I've seen pictures of crocodiles on Television, Thailand is just infested with them, isn't it.

Edited by Thaddeus

So having let that idiotic thug Suthep have his day in the sun the Ruling Elite will now wheel on the heavy guns of their constitution and their judiciary.

The answer to The Nations -obviously unbiased reporter - is that we need another election which the Dems wont boycott and the mob wont disrupt. Then the people can vote freely, then they can vote for reform minded parties if they so wish.

I'm not exactly sure what "ruling elite wheel on the heavy guns of their constitution and their judiciary" means. It's sounds like overdone and meandering political rhetoric to me, but the 'ruling elite' may be better for the country in the long run than to be deceived so terribly by Thaksin and Yingluck, who declared themselves to be the champions of the poor Isaan rice farmer. In the end the "champions' of the poor Isaan rice farmer jeopardized Thailand's global rice market position and generally screwed the rice farmers over. Thaksin and Yingkluck drained the country's coffers, and we can only imagine how much of that money was stuffed directly in their and their cronies off-shore bank accounts.

After this complete disaster of a government, it has become quite clear that nobody is really looking out for the downtrodden Isaan rice farmer, so perhaps knowing that the "Bangkok elite" are running the show, and the farmers need to rely on their own smarts and ability to get a fair shake for their product is better than being lulled into a false sense of security, being promised the moon and the stars, but then actually getting the carpet pulled out from under their feet while being 'bent over' is better. I don't see how this Shinawatra government can sincerely be defended on any level now.

Here is how to defend "this Shinawatra government". And by the way, it is the same way that one would defend many other governments around the world:

They were elected.

"Presidential, legislative and local elections were held on November 11, 1969 in the Philippines. Incumbent President Ferdinand Marcos won an unprecedented second full term as President of the Philippines.

While in power he implemented wide-ranging programs of infrastructure development and economic reform. However, his administration was marred by massive authoritarian corruption, despotism, nepotism, political repression, and human rights violations."

So Were the Marcos in the Philippines. And we should all know how well they served the people.

The Shinawatras aren't the only people to deceive a country into making a bad vote.

Your defense says it all. There are really no good or practical reasons to defend the Shinawatras, only that they were elected. Thanks for strengthening my assertion.

When did they remove the checks and balances? They are facing accountability aren't they? Isn't that what the investigations are about? Isn't that one of the 'ticking time bombs'?

They tried to remove the checks and balances, since they came to power they have done very little else apart from trying to divert attention.

Every time a bit of bad news surfaces, one of them yells "look, over there" and then concocts a barely credible story about why people should look over there.

Inept, incompetent and hopefully infertile, in all meanings of those three words.

Under the preceding constitution the Senate was fully elected. Under the current 2007 constitution, written by a military junta and approved in an "approve this or live under military rule" vote, almost half the Senate is appointed. The current government has been trying to change that. Where you see attempts to remove checks and balances others see reasonable attempts to restore democracy.

Of course it is much easier to critique the performance of the current government than that of yellowshirt governments simply because the yellowshirts have been unable to win an election (though they're pretty adept at coming out the temporary winner after a coup). Instead of working to undermine the elected government, why doesn't the opposition focus on making themselves more electable?

You forgot the part on no direct relatives (or so) joining parliament and senate.

Mind you, with the activities of Thaksin in 2006 to bring all under his control or under control of relatives, having part of the senate elected, part appointed makes sense. We're not talking anout a real democracy here. Both elected and appointed senators must fulfill the same criteria of standing and education. Only the selection of who will be appointed might need fine tuning, but no twisting by the Thaksin thinks Pheu Thai party.

BTW The nationwide police reshuffle which was postponed in November has taken place. Allegedly Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) commissioner Kamronwit Thoopkrachang had received permission from Thaksin himself to put together the reshuffle list, a police source said. More in the BangkokPost

Edited by rubl

So having let that idiotic thug Suthep have his day in the sun the Ruling Elite will now wheel on the heavy guns of their constitution and their judiciary.

The answer to The Nations -obviously unbiased reporter - is that we need another election which the Dems wont boycott and the mob wont disrupt. Then the people can vote freely, then they can vote for reform minded parties if they so wish.

lets hope so

Here is how to defend "this Shinawatra government". And by the way, it is the same way that one would defend many other governments around the world:

They were elected.

"Presidential, legislative and local elections were held on November 11, 1969 in the Philippines. Incumbent President Ferdinand Marcos won an unprecedented second full term as President of the Philippines.

While in power he implemented wide-ranging programs of infrastructure development and economic reform. However, his administration was marred by massive authoritarian corruption, despotism, nepotism, political repression, and human rights violations."

So Were the Marcos in the Philippines. And we should all know how well they served the people.

The Shinawatras aren't the only people to deceive a country into making a bad vote.

Your defense says it all. There are really no good or practical reasons to defend the Shinawatras, only that they were elected. Thanks for strengthening my assertion.

Democracy isn't perfect, it's often described as the least bad form of government. Autocracies are generally worse. I won't ask which you prefer, the choice belongs to the Thai people.

Just as more Thai people voted for PT and allied parties than the Democrat affiliated parties, so do more Thai people want democracy than oppose it. And just like Suthep and his minions, this majority is willing to take to the streets to defend real democracy. Have you considered what will happen if another elected government is toppled and the election system "reformed" to ensure the majority doesn't determine the winner?