Thai traffic police to get tough with truckers after accident kills 1

webfact

Tough on Truckers, crackdown on speeding busses, enforcement of seatbelts in minivans, helmets on bikes, greater enforcement of traffic laws......

All headlines in the past few months.... The reality is; these words mean nothing... No on cares and why should they, it doesn't impact them (until it does)... The hypocrisy stinks...,the carelessness is heartbreaking...

Such a lovely country is tarnished by apathy and laziness in its enforcement of simple regulations which could benefit the whole of society.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a poster on a previous topic had it right when they said they fould it offensive when people use the term "Police" in Thailand and that we should use BIB. The word Police to most people mean a professional body of men and women, highly trained, working for the people to uphold the rule of law in their country, above corruption and fully accountable to the people, not one word applys to the BIB.

It would be interesting to start a thread with members sending in suggestions for writing the charter / work guidelines for all new BIB recruits to work to.

Guidelines when stopping a farang on a motorbike / in a car.

Instuctional handbook on directing traffic

Rules of driving in Thailand.

etc. etc.

• Like 1

Here's the rub. Most consumer goods throughout Thailand are delivered by truck. The railway system is non-existent for delivering consumer goods on freight cars. Planes? Forget it.

So, how does Thailand approach this problematic solution? They kill their life line with threatening measures that will almost certainly anger the truckers and mafioso bosses who have "consumer-goods-delivery" stranglehold on the country.

And how do Thais generally react when they get threatened? Oh yeah...! Truckers are no exception.

This is not what Thailand needs at this time; another group of Thais (i.e. the rice farmers and now the truckers) protesting and rebelling against the government.

How about investing in safer trucks and training for these people? There are two sides to every story, and pinning all the blame on "Joe Truckdriver" is one way to stir the pot. I do not excuse these truck drivers, but I also understand that trying to meet a deadline so you do not lose your job to the other guy, and trying to meet a deadline with a decrepit piece of machinery such as these, would tax even the most skilled driver, let alone one of these uneducated and unskilled stuntmen.

A one week strike by the truckers would shut this country down with food and water shortages beyond belief.

Help them, don't hurt them, because you need them. This is a good case of choosing the "Lesser of Two Evils".

Simply my two bits worth.

I think the Thai understanding of "crackdown" must mean that the police continue to sit on their a*& with their crack facing down on a chair (probably while getting drunk). The next vehicle I see pulled over for a violation will be the FIRST one I see in Thailand. Thai officials must believe that "talking about" things is the same as "doing". Traffic law enforcement in Thailand is a horrible joke.

QUOTE:

"Traffic law enforcement in Thailand is a horrible joke."

No, it isn't.

Why worry about bald tires when the driver has 2 or 3 amulets hanging from his neck?

It's Thainess.

Exactly.

After the slightly intoxicated Thai driver for a couple visiting next door reversed his little Honda roller skate into the front of my parked pickup last night, my wife suggested that the colour of my truck was 'not good for me'. I mean I did have a pissed-up old Japanese guy do an illegal u-turn on his crotch rocket just last month as I sat at a red light and plant himself in the other front corner. Then there was the time when brand-new last year, parked in a parking garage and someone in something quite substantial planted a great big ding in the rear bumper... and drove away.

When I pointed out that I had never, ever bothered to take it to the temple to get blessed, she positively lit up and agreed that may have a lot to do with it.

Luckily, the people that 'hired' last nights dodgy driver were a Thai (wife) and English (husband) couple and when I suggested I get the local body shop to do a quote, they would pay (knock for knock like in the UK), all was sweet and everyone keeps their NCB. The Thai driver was a bit edgy over the earlier talk about calling the insurance companies which is usually what every Thai driver does when they have any prang without realising that even if they aren't to blame, they get it in the neck anyway when the insurance premiums fall due for renewal.

The shop quoted 5800 baht and 4 days work to get the whole front-end and bent wings sorted. That was 2800 baht for last nights fender bender and 2500 baht for Mr Jappy's bike intrusion plus 500 baht 'for the screws and clips'. Result!

Now just waiting for some plonker to plant it in my back bumper (again) so they can pay me to get that fixed.

Or should I take it to the temple anyway?

Edited by NanLaew

Suggestions for penalties in such matters!

1. A 5 million baht fine to the freight company
  2. A mandatory inspection of facilities and vehicles and safety policies of the freight company
  3. A 200,000 baht fine for driver, plus loss of license plus 6 months jail time

Something along those lines should have some effect.

R.I.P. to the victim and condolences to the family!

Did the driver not have the 1 month sticker pass that the Highway police allegedly give out to trucks once they've paid their fees?

Paste this into google: "They alleged Pol Maj-Gen Noraboon had sold stickers for 3,500 baht each to truck operators. With the sticker, an overloaded truck could operate for one month. Trucks without the sticker were subject to searches for contraband and pulled over for other "violations"."

Nice little earner. biggrin.png

The only people that lose out are ALL the other road users.

Their greed knows no bounds.

I'm sure those in charge of the budget for road repairs are also quite happy at the deal.

Hot country like Thailand = half melted asphalt + over weight trucks = the massive termite mount like humps and ridges at many intersections, usually in the lane that all motorcyclists are legally bound to ride it.

You almost gotta laugh.

• Like 1

they seem to let anyone drive... go to a 2 hour course and get the license you want to pay for...

I was coming back from Roi Et... and there is a section under construction and the road has been tore up to be a dirt road... and i am on a chopper, not a motorcycle around 7 pm so its dark... and i come on this section and people are speeding like its another day... well these 2 semi's are racing each other and passing on that dirt road section and there is no meridian but just a drop off... and i flash my lights, honked... and they kept speeding up and i got by that semi passing on that fracking road by inches without going off the drop.... these are days you wonder why the police are not out policing these areas... like the HP in other countries... they spend their time just setting up road blocks to check people, moto's, all in the name of safety? cheesy.gif yeah right... more like tea money.. for the local end of the month salary booster! I was so scared with my life at that moment...

Sad apparently Thai Visa, has neglected to re-post a response I made in the pass. About 2 years ago, you will need more police you have to have rules, driving rules. Trucks, big buses, tourist transportation, public transportation, and especially school transportation and sitting students on top of the school bus or truck is not a very smart and safe act. But all these means of transportation shouldn't be allowed to go the same speed as regular vehicles at least 10kg under the limit, and the regular vehicles should only be allowed to go at a limit. You should have random checks at- least 2 times a month in provinces and villages connected to highways vehicles should slow down to 60 or 55 for families and people who lives in that area, near schools the penalty for this should be at- least 1,500 . The trucks and buses that goes over the speed limit you should charge the company and penalize the driver where he would have to miss at least 2 days of work, every 10kgs over the limit is extra money that is to be paid. You also can stop more criminals with this method have computers use excel it you don't have the proper equipment for drivers and licenses plates for each province. For reckless drivers that try to run drivers off the road driving in the wrong lane motorcycles that ride like there a large vehicle, lights is the number one thing you should focus on. To many vehicles are driving with no lights, or lights in the back of there vehicle like they are a bar or disco, green, blue, purple, or what ever color lights other then red should be in place of your brake lights vehicles are not sold like that it's a detraction on the side of the vehicle is ok. Your brake lights and head lights on you vehicle should be very visible clear if not their should be a ticket issued $120 baht and a warning put the name in the computer excel and if another police stops that person check the computer from another province the second ticket should be $240 . a third time should be $440 and take their driving license and must go to court to retrieve it and wait for the court response. That's getting tough on drivers here it's just to many deaths involving vehicles where one person kills 3 to 7 people daily. Reckless drivers should be jailed for six months to a year especially if they take a life and it's their fault, but should be able to pay 50, 000 not to be jailed but still have to go to let the court decide what the penalty should be, the 50,000 is just to keep you from going to jail until your court date. The court shall give you 2 to 4 months to allow the driver to come up with the money because he has to pay homage to the family or families as well as the court coast, but the family should be able to sue the company if there is one and I think that. it would calm a lot of drivers and companies down. The sleeping, and drinking, partying, and then trying to just drive to get all the money which you can not do it's impossible if you think you can get all the money the fact is that your body will shut down .

Edited by DesflyTdesme

Remember the crackdown on drivers not stopping for pedestrians using the zebra crossing ? On the day that crackdown started i saw a police car here in issan weaving around the people at about 50kmh who were using such a crossing.....about 100 meters from a police station. That crackdown,not only did it not last the usual week,it never even got started.

In Thailand there is a "right of way." It's called: "rights of tonnage." I always yield to a fully loaded 10-wheeler coming at me in my lane.

Internationally recognized highway signs...... How many of the yellow triangular "Yeild right of way" signs have you seen in Thailand. Seems to go against the culture in this society to be seen yeilding to anything.

• Like 1

When I asked the Thai boss of a building company why he wanted to become councilor, his reply was to push for increasing the weight limit on trucks to avoid the continuous fines /tea money he had to pay the police because his trucks were overloaded.Thai logic or just greed?sad.png

The Police are just lazy shits, just want to get Falange's for their Tea/Coffee money. The Commander is bad enough, told Police to get tough after 1 person killed, Ha, Ha, pissed me undies again.

How do they get a Police Commander to the top post, is who do they know or what, it is certainly not for their experience

I was coming from Bangkok to Pattaya on motorway and still in the Bangkok area, before the airport turnoff coming to the toll, got there and paid, pulled away and Police Traffic officer pulled me over, said I was doing 120 coming to the booth, he said take car over there, I did, he said go to police station pay fine and come back, I was going to say F*^#k O*f but did not! I said pay fine now, 2000bt he said, I needed to go so paid him, load of B^*#^*#s that's all they are.

As i have said already in a few other posts, i have never had the misfortune to have been asked for a bribe in Thailand. I have had cause to use a local lawyer with whom i am on good terms with and i always carry his card with me just in case although i have never had to use it. In such a case as yours however i would have asked the officer to wait a moment while i call my lawyer so that he can call the officers station to confirm that such a payment is reasonable. I think he would have backed off.

Before the police can really start doing that, they need to go back to school to re-learn the Thai driving rules and regulations. Most of them do not know these and just make up rules as they see fit. It is not just in Bangkok but in every provence in Thailand. The Traffic police are not doing there job except maybe one day a month in the rural districts and sub-districts.

• Like 1

Banning drivers with no licences would be a start.

Why Thailand has never adopted tachographs in commercial vehicles like the rest of the world is puzzling.

But perhaps to cover the illegal hours driven now they'd have to employ a lot more drivers.

Just for a moment let's think about the tens of thousands that are killed here in traffic accidents annually ... Then let's think about multiplying that death toll over a period of perhaps 10 years or more. How does one accident become the sudden catalyst for traffic and road safety enforcement here,

A load of rubbish is what it is. The police don't give a flying leap about safety. They don't even look after their own... See the RB heir.

• Like 1

Before the police can really start doing that, they need to go back to school to re-learn the Thai driving rules and regulations. Most of them do not know these and just make up rules as they see fit. It is not just in Bangkok but in every provence in Thailand. The Traffic police are not doing there job except maybe one day a month in the rural districts and sub-districts.

Many thanks for the geography lesson. I always thought Provence was in France although who knows what could hide in virtually every province in Thailand

The Thai police have a doubtful reputation. I have just read a report of a British police officer being jailed for twelve months for claiming to be a witness of an incident when in fact he wasn't. The report says -'The Judge added that police officers "must be deterred from misconduct and the public must be able to see that punishment will be visited upon police officers who betray the trust reposed in them". Perhaps if this criteria applied here the Thai police might gain some respect?

aarrgghh I live out a couple miles away from this clover leaf at Future park...go by this spot every week once or twice.... glad it wasn't me squished under that container... and a few hundred vans out here in Rangsit - sad the guy was squashed but also could have been 12 people squashed as well...was wondering how the container actually worked it's way off the trailer - one guy said a twist lock but anyway - not sure how it just fell off ... will have to look it up and see...ouch tho - flat as a pancake almost......