Research - University of Amsterdam

Hello everybody! I am new to this forum. I have recently arrived in Thailand to conduct research, I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate area for my comment so please redirect me if i'm wrong.

I'm from the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. I am conducting research into foreign companies operating in Thailand, what processes they have exported and the reasons for doing so. I would love to speak to individuals who work for these companies who could help shed some light on these issues. If anybody works for a foreign company in Thailand I would be very grateful to hear your stories.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, any information at all would be extremely useful. Thanks!

David

Are you staff or student and what subject faculty area? ie is this a Master's project or part of an ongoing research programme (or both). Have you already got some links or is this a cold call plan on your behalf? Plus, do you speak/read Thai?

I am a research masters student from the graduate school of social sciences at the UvA, I am in Bangkok as part of an ongoing study collaboratively with the University of Auckland, the University of Calcutta, the University of Amsterdam and the University of the Philippines on the role of service sector outsourcing. My masters is in international development, and my field of interest specifically the means by which countries attempt to further their development after overcoming the initial stages of economic development, and the role Globalisation plays in achieving this end.

I have made contact with a number of Chambers of Commerce in Thailand, and with some government departments, however It is rather difficult with the ongoing political unrest for the government to meet with me to discuss their strategy. In addition to this, I would also like to speak to or individuals who are employed in outsourced service sectors, or have knowledge of the sector. I would like to discover what processes firms are outsourcing, and their reasons for choosing Thailand as a location. Sadly, I do not read or speak Thai.

I hope this clears up my area of interest.

Are you staff or student and what subject faculty area? ie is this a Master's project or part of an ongoing research programme (or both). Have you already got some links or is this a cold call plan on your behalf? Plus, do you speak/read Thai?

I am a research masters student from the graduate school of social sciences at the UvA, I am in Bangkok as part of an ongoing study collaboratively with the University of Auckland, the University of Calcutta, the University of Amsterdam and the University of the Philippines on the role of service sector outsourcing. My masters is in international development, and my field of interest specifically the means by which countries attempt to further their development after overcoming the initial stages of economic development, and the role Globalisation plays in achieving this end.

I have made contact with a number of Chambers of Commerce in Thailand, and with some government departments, however It is rather difficult with the ongoing political unrest for the government to meet with me to discuss their strategy. In addition to this, I would also like to speak to or individuals who are employed in outsourced service sectors, or have knowledge of the sector. I would like to discover what processes firms are outsourcing, and their reasons for choosing Thailand as a location. Sadly, I do not read or speak Thai.

I hope this clears up my area of interest.

If you are not careful you might just end up with some waffle and blah derived from so-so questionnaires and unrewarding interviews. You need some additional focus. Why not concentrate on the retail trade and look at the impact there. Tesco, Carrefour, Big C. There should be published company reports which you can look at, reports on these companies in the Nation and A.N Other and you can maybe even try to interview one or two journalists from the Business sections who may be able to introduce you to one or two players. I would be surprised if anybody out of the blue are going to talk to you about outsourcing policies for their company.