Dude Offering Free Hugs!

No its not me. I saw him yesterday at Thapae Gate and was wondering...

Who is he? Is he the original free hugs dude or a copycat? What is his story? Are they really free? Do you know him? Is he on TV? Does he have an ulterior motive?

Has anyone else seen him or is it time for me to move on?

Is he on TV?

Hmm... let me guess: Yes definitely, judging by the care, compassion, and positive attitudes members generally display here, he must be among us.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

...it may very well be the original free hugs dude after all!!!

I don't think so. A bunch of Thais and foreigners were doing it for one day at Thapae Gate a few weeks ago. They left the next day. He made a sign and just carried on.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have lunch in the Thapae Gate area every day. This fellow has been around for a few months now, riding a three-wheeled bicycle with a hand-written 'Free Hugs' sign on the front. He gives the appearance of being a homeless man, but these days one can never tell by looks. For all I know he's a mulch-billionair who doesn't care how he looks!

Hi to all...

The free hug man is Italian guy that just happened to be unlucky because he got into a motorbike accident that gave him those problems to his legs and arms. He lives in India but come to thailand to do acupuncture to try to feel better. I am not sure he is rich or poor but he is a nice guy and enjoys meeting and talking to people. He is quite humble and a very happy person, it seems. Nothing strange about it......ohh....and the hugs are free.

Great to hear he is a happy person despite his unfortunate predicament. To be honest, I had no idea he was not in 100% physical condition!

Next time I see him I'll take up the offer and maybe have a chat. If it makes me feel as good as this bloke sounds then happy days!

And if it helps in his healing then all the better!

Thanks for all the replies as well, but I'm too knackered to reply to them all. And too tired to think of a funny answer to eyecatcher too!

I have lunch in the Thapae Gate area every day. This fellow has been around for a few months now, riding a three-wheeled bicycle with a hand-written 'Free Hugs' sign on the front. He gives the appearance of being a homeless man, but these days one can never tell by looks. For all I know he's a mulch-billionair who doesn't care how he looks!

I ve talked to him a couple times maybe not quite 100% . I was in 7/11 on Thaphe road one day and he had ridden his bike inside the store went to the cooler and got a RedBull rode to the counter paid for it drank it at the counter handed the bottle back to the clerk and on his way out the manager asked him not to ride his bike inside the store , I can understand because he had the entire exit blocked . He got real mean with the clerk and finally peddled out the door ... I don't think he is homeless but he might not have running water and soap where ever he lives ......

Hi to all...

The free hug man is Italian guy that just happened to be unlucky because he got into a motorbike accident that gave him those problems to his legs and arms. He lives in India but come to thailand to do acupuncture to try to feel better. I am not sure he is rich or poor but he is a nice guy and enjoys meeting and talking to people. He is quite humble and a very happy person, it seems. Nothing strange about it......ohh....and the hugs are free.

My friend said he was paralysed before the treatment but now progressing a lot and can walk a bit. I think he started the hugs after he recovered a fair bit. I see him a bit but he's always hugging or chatting to someone. Seems like a nice bloke and seems he gets a few hugs from the many Chinese taking photos.

I ve talked to him a couple times maybe not quite 100% . I was in 7/11 on Thaphe road one day and he had ridden his bike inside the store went to the cooler and got a RedBull rode to the counter paid for it drank it at the counter handed the bottle back to the clerk and on his way out the manager asked him not to ride his bike inside the store , I can understand because he had the entire exit blocked . He got real mean with the clerk and finally peddled out the door ... I don't think he is homeless but he might not have running water and soap where ever he lives ......

Yeah but in fairness, long term pain can, and does, send even the strongest individual over the edge. Riding in the shop probably made perfect sense to him, and failing to consider others can be a sign all is not well.

But I've never met the man nor was I present at the incident, so please don't berate me.

I mean no harm to his character and I hope he does well with his life. Just curious of his free hugs story.

Blessed be all!

And everyone watch out in the traffic today, its mental!