Leaving Thailand and we want to continue to Contribute

ozsamurai

What about set up motivation funds for the students who are doing good in school but have less fortune at home? Help them stay in school or doing well in class. You can restrict how the fund should be distributed.

When I was in school, at the end of the school year, the teacher would give prize to the top 3 students who had the highest grade in class. It was a real motivation for me as I wanted to get that prize and I did get the prize ( it was a bag of candy (:, my sister got 500 baht from her teacher.)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

The answers to the OP`s questions is, that however he contributes money to what he considers as good causes in Thailand, has to be done on trust.

Unless running an official organised charity himself and has the funds and know how to do so, the only other ways possible is to either donate via an already established charity, or with the help of a third party here in Thailand, or pay directly into the bank accounts of the recipients.

None of these options come with any foolproof guarantees, and is really up to the discretion of the OP.

• Like 2

there seems to be some ultra alluring glamor to sending money to foreign countries for very dubious outcomes while assisting the drug addicts, alcoholics, homeless, mentally deficent or aborigines in you own countries is shunned. marvelous holier-than-thou logic at its finest.

A rich country like Oz bends over backwards to provide social benefits for the poor and disadvantaged...poorer countries such as this 3rd world place in denial...does not. So if someone wants to help those that their own country does not or cannot....go blow your holier than thou trumpet somewhere else.

I know for sure that, for instance, this reputable organization, among many other international projects, is also helping the poor children of rural Northeastern Thailand: http://plan-international.org/what-we-do

Plan are very good too. I sponsored some children through them and visited them - looked round their school etc. Good fun.

• Like 1

There are numerous charities operating in Thailand that are not connected to multinationals or have high paid staff sucking up donations in salaries.

If corruption is an issue, the OP might want to look at some of the projects supported by the different Rotary Clubs in Thailand. In particular the Water 4 Life projects have had considerable local impact and, as far as I know, no suggestions of donations wasted or disappearing.

Any individual donation has much more impact when combined with others.

I know for sure that, for instance, this reputable organization, among many other international projects, is also helping the poor children of rural Northeastern Thailand: http://plan-international.org/what-we-do

Certainty is an Australian Aboriginal concept. Proof can be be found in cave carvings

Feel free to contact me by private message if you want to meet several recipients (whom I personally know) of their foster parents program, for instance.

My suggestion is check out www.tprf.org My experience for over 10 years. The most efficient non-profit org. Open up and check. All is clear very little for administration. All records are open, and translucent.

After checking it out act accordingly.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font

I've been in this position in two countries now, and if you really want to give something on a long term basis, pick out something very specific and give directly. Education is definitely the right place, but rather than focus on a few kids give all of them something more tangible. We gave our local primary school via their teachers who are friends, a small library, which they add to and update. Books for little kids are not expensive, and the digital world hasn't quite taken over their thinking yet. Some local thai business people also have an annual shoe donation, and give out hundreds of pairs of sandals.

But the key is to give directly and something that you or someone else can monitor.

I will check out all the organization listed here. HOWEVER, and there always seems to be a however. Raising funds for an overseas charity in Australia I think requires that the (Thai) organization be a registered charity in Australia. I have only spent all day reading mumbo jumbo as yet, so much more to go through.

As to the holier than though comment, which seems to have been removed, all I have to say is REALLY? That's all you get out of my request?

Oz

• Like 1

I will check out all the organization listed here. HOWEVER, and there always seems to be a however. Raising funds for an overseas charity in Australia I think requires that the (Thai) organization be a registered charity in Australia. I have only spent all day reading mumbo jumbo as yet, so much more to go through.

As to the holier than though comment, which seems to have been removed, all I have to say is REALLY? That's all you get out of my request?

Oz

Good on you Oz,, the world needs your kind of thinking.

As to the rather pathetic remarks by some posters, may I suggest that should it happen again that you simply ignore them.

They are not worth the effort of making a comment.

TV has a fair number of members who seem to have many social problems and maybe they are to be pitied rather than scorned.

As you observed, the Mods simply remove offensive posts and good on them for that, if the odd reply slips through, never mind, ignore it.

Good luck with your project.

• Like 2

Indeed a lot of charities do a lot for the well documented plights of so many in Thailand. We focused most of our effort to the not-so-poor but not well off who don't seem to get a hand from anyone.

Case: Mum and Dad are both workers for a builder around our area, they work as a husband and wife team, bricklaying/rendering. He earns 300 a day and she gets 200, so after they have fed themselves, paid rent, there isn't a lot left over for their 2 kids (10&6). They needed a bicycle to enable their kids to get to school by themselves (one between them), as they leave the house very early, they found a suitable one it was pink (to the dismay of the eldest boy) on sale for 1,500 baht at TESCO. It took them over 4 months to save up enough spare cash to get it. They are not poor, they are constantly employed year round, live resourcefully etc.. but as a general rule a charity would ignore them. They are also a bit proud and probably wouldn't accept straight out charity (who knows). So we had some extra brickwork done we didn't really need and payed a bonus if they finished within a certain deadline, guess how much the bonus was?

I feel if you help people help themselves then you have effective charity.

Oz

• Like 2

Indeed a lot of charities do a lot for the well documented plights of so many in Thailand. We focused most of our effort to the not-so-poor but not well off who don't seem to get a hand from anyone.

Case: Mum and Dad are both workers for a builder around our area, they work as a husband and wife team, bricklaying/rendering. He earns 300 a day and she gets 200, so after they have fed themselves, paid rent, there isn't a lot left over for their 2 kids (10&6). They needed a bicycle to enable their kids to get to school by themselves (one between them), as they leave the house very early, they found a suitable one it was pink (to the dismay of the eldest boy) on sale for 1,500 baht at TESCO. It took them over 4 months to save up enough spare cash to get it. They are not poor, they are constantly employed year round, live resourcefully etc.. but as a general rule a charity would ignore them. They are also a bit proud and probably wouldn't accept straight out charity (who knows). So we had some extra brickwork done we didn't really need and payed a bonus if they finished within a certain deadline, guess how much the bonus was?

I feel if you help people help themselves then you have effective charity.

Oz

My wife likes to give to Buddha, for lucky you know. I much prefer when she gives to a deserving person in much the way you mentioned.

I think you are right to help those who will help themselves and not create a dependence.

I like the Thai expression nam jai, meaning generosity or the juice of life. It is coupled with dat an you, meaning obligation. Parents give the gift of life and the children have an obligation to take care of their parents. Many westerners don't understand this.

Last word on the unpleasant posts. In the film Bambi, Thumpers Mum said "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all".

Good stuff and good luck.

What about set up motivation funds for the students who are doing good in school but have less fortune at home? Help them stay in school or doing well in class. You can restrict how the fund should be distributed.

When I was in school, at the end of the school year, the teacher would give prize to the top 3 students who had the highest grade in class. It was a real motivation for me as I wanted to get that prize and I did get the prize ( it was a bag of candy (:, my sister got 500 baht from her teacher.)

Hey, I really like this idea. You've inspired me. I've done small things like buying stationery supplies, and musical instruments, and sports equipment for schools in poor rural areas in Isaan, and that's something I will continue to do. But I like this notion of a 'motivation fund' for individual students. Would be great for high potential kids that come from poor families (i.e., I would want both academic achievement and family situation to be considered). I'm thinking of those kids who have a special spark but who are being constantly pulled into taking care of family-work and don't have the same time to study as better off kids. If they received a good cash prize (sort of a scholarship), then their talent might be more appreciated by their parents and they might be given more leeway; and, of course, one would hope that this would all be motivating for them. But I wonder about how to do this right... how to ensure the funds go to the right kids and how to ensure this has the intended benefits (trying to motivate others through rewards can be tricky business).

Do you--or anyone else--have some experience and tips to share? [sorry to OP for hijacking your thread, but I'm thinking that maybe you have this kind of experience also]

• Like 2

Oz

I suggest partnering with a reputable charity. Setting up a new charity carries with it costs such as special tax filings, and the preparation of audited financial reports. There is a likelihood that you would spend a large part of the funds raised for administration, which I don't think it is what you want to do. Perhaps, time would be better spent reviewing existing educational trusts that have the infrastructure in place to deliver the funds and more importantly to supervise the appropriate use of the funds. For example, one of the reasons why governments and other NGOs will fund groups like Medicins sans Frontieres is because they know it is more cost effective than if they try and do it themselves.

Wealthy people set up foundations which allow a more directed approach. However, you are not sitting on large amounts of money. To be blunt, as decent as you might be, the general public don't know you from Adam and you will find that continually asking friends and relatives for small contributions to fund your charity will carry some negative reactions.

Your heart is in the right place and your intentions are good. Charity work can eat up a lot of time, often much more than the participants expected. Don't try and do something you are not equipped to do. Partner with an organization or groups you have checked out and leave it at that.

• Like 2

Hey, I really like this idea. You've inspired me. I've done small things like buying stationery supplies, and musical instruments, and sports equipment for schools in poor rural areas in Isaan, and that's something I will continue to do. But I like this notion of a 'motivation fund' for individual students. Would be great for high potential kids that come from poor families (i.e., I would want both academic achievement and family situation to be considered). I'm thinking of those kids who have a special spark but who are being constantly pulled into taking care of family-work and don't have the same time to study as better off kids. If they received a good cash prize (sort of a scholarship), then their talent might be more appreciated by their parents and they might be given more leeway; and, of course, one would hope that this would all be motivating for them. But I wonder about how to do this right... how to ensure the funds go to the right kids and how to ensure this has the intended benefits (trying to motivate others through rewards can be tricky business).

Do you--or anyone else--have some experience and tips to share? [sorry to OP for hijacking your thread, but I'm thinking that maybe you have this kind of experience also]

You might want to look at the website I posted then. The first student that they provided help for was a 17 year old working in a gas station. SET funded his Bachelors and Masters. He funded himself to his PhD in Physics. He now lectures in Nuclear Physics and runs the Institute for Fundamental Study at Naresuan University. His name is Doctor Seckson Sukhasena.

http://www.thaistudentcharity.org/our-history/

http://www.if.nu.ac.th/people/faculty

• Like 2

You might want to look at the website I posted then. The first student that they provided help for was a 17 year old working in a gas station. SET funded his Bachelors and Masters. He funded himself to his PhD in Physics. He now lectures in Nuclear Physics and runs the Institute for Fundamental Study at Naresuan University. His name is Doctor Seckson Sukhasena.

http://www.thaistudentcharity.org/our-history/

http://www.if.nu.ac.th/people/faculty

Thanks for this. I took a brief look at both links and bookmarked the first ... looks like very good work is being done. Will share this among friends also. I'll transfer money to PayPal this week and do my part. Will still look at doing something in my gf's village as well as I know there are some families struggling there. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Yes, you are so right about kids being pulled out of school to help the family financially. That was happened to me. But that is another story.

Anyway, I have a love of learning and bettering myself, so I attended school, graduated, and have a good job. I am thinking about giving the students in my village 10,000 baht this year. This will be my first time doing. If I get a raise, I will increase the fund (:

Here is my plan. Our village's school has students from the 1st grade through 9th grade. I have 10,000 baht to distribute, of course the fund should be given age appropriately. I don't think I want to give the 1st grade students the same amount of money as to the 9th grade students.

Lets see if I want to give money to the top 3 students in each class, then my math would come out as follow:

1. 27 students receiving the funds (9x3=27)

2. 10,000 baht available in funding

3. 1st-3rd grade get 150 baht per student (9x150=1,350)

4. 4th-6th grade get 300 baht per student (9x300=2,700)

5. 7th-9th grade get 500 baht per student (9x500=4,500)

6. And the rest goes to school.

It is not much but it will give students something look for at the end of their school year.

I want to help the kids in my village see the importance of education, work hard to achieve their goals and know that dream does come true, all they need is determination, dream and supporting system.

I think you can visit the school in villages, talk to the school's principal and express your intention.

You can ask the teachers to provide the list of the students receiving the fund.

• Like 2

Yes, you are so right about kids being pulled out of school to help the family financially. That was happened to me. But that is another story.

Anyway, I have a love of learning and bettering myself, so I attended school, graduated, and have a good job. I am thinking about giving the students in my village 10,000 baht this year. This will be my first time doing. If I get a raise, I will increase the fund (:

Here is my plan. Our village's school has students from the 1st grade through 9th grade. I have 10,000 baht to distribute, of course the fund should be given age appropriately. I don't think I want to give the 1st grade students the same amount of money as to the 9th grade students.

Lets see if I want to give money to the top 3 students in each class, then my math would come out as follow:

It is not much but it will give students something look for at the end of their school year.

I want to help the kids in my village see the importance of education, work hard to achieve their goals and know that dream does come true, all they need is determination, dream and supporting system.

I think you can visit the school in villages, talk to the school's principal and express your intention.

You can ask the teachers to provide the list of the students receiving the fund.

This is really great stuff. Thank you for the detail. Very helpful ... I've pasted it to an email to myself so it's now saved on my system and I can refer back to it on my next trip to the village in April. My girlfriend (whose name is Somsri, as a matter of fact) is already excited about this because she was one of the ones who had to spend a lot of time helping on the family farm or selling corn/peanuts in the market, and yesterday she was already saying how she was going to go talk to the principal etc. I had to slow her down! ... tell her I needed to think of the best way to do this. Your 'programme' helps tremendously. I'm still struggling with the balance of potential and need: if the top kid in the class comes from a well-off family, I would prefer the assistance go to a kid a little further back who is more needy. So basically a blend of bursary and scholarship, though I need to give this more thought. Thanks again!

• Like 2

This is really great stuff. Thank you for the detail. Very helpful ... I've pasted it to an email to myself so it's now saved on my system and I can refer back to it on my next trip to the village in April. My girlfriend (whose name is Somsri, as a matter of fact) is already excited about this because she was one of the ones who had to spend a lot of time helping on the family farm or selling corn/peanuts in the market, and yesterday she was already saying how she was going to go talk to the principal etc. I had to slow her down! ... tell her I needed to think of the best way to do this. Your 'programme' helps tremendously. I'm still struggling with the balance of potential and need: if the top kid in the class comes from a well-off family, I would prefer the assistance go to a kid a little further back who is more needy. So basically a blend of bursary and scholarship, though I need to give this more thought. Thanks again!

My name is Somsri also! It is up to you how you want to distribute your fund. In my village there is no such thing as to wealthy family really. They all deserve help but you do what you can.

• Like 2

My kids go to a thai public school and the teachers visit every kids house once a year. You could ask each teacher which kids are poor and have the potential to do well in school if they got financial help then visit the kids home yourself to verify what the teacher said.

If the teachers in that school do not visit the kids homes then you would have to think of a better way to figure that out.

In my case my kids tell me which kids are poor and which are rich. I visited one of my sons friends homes and saw how poor they were so I gave them a few commercial egg laying chickens and a rooster so they could have eggs every day and make new chickens. It wasn't much but it helped them more than handing them cash and will keep helping them for years to come.

• Like 2

Oz, I've just had a light bulb moment ! Talk to the staff at Cabbages and Condoms in Bangkok or Pattaya, or via their website. That is a great organisation doing good work around HIV but also building schools in the north and many family planning and educational projects. They do way more than have two quirky but excellent restaurants. Have a look at TED talks presentation by the founder whose name I've forgotten. There maybe a way for you to work with them, and they are very well respected and established.

It is really nice to read your post and about you wanting to do this in Thailand. All I ever did was donate money to buy free school lunches for the kids on special occasions.

Over the years I have read many different posters here bitching and complaining about Thailand, which they want it to be like back home, but never change a single thing here.

But you My Friend can, and have made real changes here, and a real difference.

Thank You for your post, and you and your wife's fine efforts in Thailand!

• Like 2