Threatened By Recruiter

"I don't know any legitimate job anywhere in the world where you don't produce the proof of eligibility"

since when is a passport proof of eligibility?\

I have been teaching for over 15 years and have worked at more than 10 schools, and have interviewed and visited more than 100. I have never had a problem not giving my passport cover page. Only after I had the interview and they were in the process of hiring me did I have to provide any documents.

Recruiters will ask for it, but again don't use recruiters.

I typically don't even send copies of diploma or transcripts until the interview either. Just for applying a picture, resume and cover letter are all that are standard. At the interview or for the interview diplomas, certificates and transcripts are usually given. Same as for references, you wouldn't even give them until after the interview.

• Like 1

When I have a job opening, I request certain documentation, including a copy of the information page of the passport. Until I get the information requested, there is no interview and there is no job offer.

I don't apply for jobs that ask for a copy of my passport, and think its wrong to ask for it, you don't know who you are sending it to.

With all the other information provided identity theft is a big risk, and one that I'm not willing to take.

Can you tell me why you need a copy of a passport?

• Like 1

All one has to do if a passport scan is requested is to scan the passport then imprint a couple of lines across via Paint or whatever after that action it is of no use as a document that can be copied.

Like Scott when I was recruiting we always asked for a P.P. info page scan. No scan no progress.

She sounds like a nutter. Guessing that her husband was suspicious of the call, or that she assumed something she overheard when the phone rang was aimed at her or was distasteful in some way perhaps? Especially if it went to Answer phone - I once had a 10 minute message left on my phone of some bloke absolutely screaming and swearing, turned out toward the end of the call to be a delivery driver who'd pocket dialled me and was swearing (literally without pause) at other drivers, at first listen I thought the absolute stream of violent threatening insults were aimed at me. Could be that someone happened to drop the f-bomb in earshot at the time the call occurred.

Either way, it doesn't sound like she is going to take an explanation, there is nothing you can do to alter this so the best course of action may be to completely ignore her, changing your mobile number if it turns out to be necessary. She'll get bored in the end. At the end of the day there is no action you can take to sort the situation out, there's no point getting legal advice now, just handle that in the very unlikely event that the police decide to take any action - at most just keep the number of a lawyer and the embassy ready.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Not to belabor the point, but the information page to the passport contains a number of things, including verification of the country. I get a lot of applicants who say they are native speakers, but they are NOT from a qualifying country. The information page also contains a picture, which for the Thai Admin is important.

I have to wade through a lot of applications and I simply do not wish to waste your time or my time with people that are not going to get a job. I feel very sorry for people who get asked to go to an interview and spend a fair amount of time and money to get to a school that has no intention of hiring them.

Oh, and yes, I have been lied to numerous times. "Oh, yes, I have a BA, I'll have my parents send it from the UK". Well they don't. Oh, and we had a very nice gentleman (otherwise qualified), but his passport had been expired for over 10 years and he was on an overstay.

This lady is a nut case. If she continues to harass, she should be reported. She is misusing her position. I get phone calls at all hours of the day/night and many are not important.

I should also add to you guys with a Thai girlfriend that once I have made contact with you about a job, I am almost always assured that when your girlfriend gets your phone, and they do, she will call me late at night to see if it is a male or female that answers the phone. Every year during recruiting season, this happens.

• Like 1

I should also add to you guys with a Thai girlfriend that once I have made contact with you about a job, I am almost always assured that when your girlfriend gets your phone, and they do, she will call me late at night to see if it is a male or female that answers the phone. Every year during recruiting season, this happens.

That should be their (the guy's) first clue they're headed for a hellish relationship. Sorry to hear that it happens with regularity. Sympathy to your recruits. blink.png

I don't get your understanding of 'loosing face'. She lost face because she didn't get to employ a person who pocket dials people at 2 in the morning? That I think, may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Now, let me see, you've called people at 2 in the morning and now you're trying to bad-mouth them on an internet forum, mmm....

OK let's reiterate again.

I called her at 2am by ACCIDENT.

ACCIDENT.

I was out drinking and my phone ACCIDENTALLY pocket dialed her.

When things happen by ACCIDENT they are not on purpose.

Sometimes I have ACCIDENTALLY bumped into a person in a crowded place here in Bangkok. To resolve the ACCIDENT I always apologise as ego gets you nowhere here. I always try my best to give them face.

So, in order to solve this unfortunate ACCIDENT, I immediately apologized when she rang me and notified me. I also explained. Then she shouted again. Then I apologized again.

But, that wasn't good enough for her, and she started shouting, making threats and swearing. I think she was annoyed because she's struggling to find a teacher for the position starting on Monday. Maybe she was a little dissapointed I said no to the position and needed not much to blow up.

Being rang at 2am in the morning isn't fun. BUT ringing that person over 50 times for the past two days, and sending them death threats is a little bit too much for an ACCIDENT that the person aplogised for twice in a very calm manner.

Once again. It was an ACCIDENT. an ACCIDENT.

OK.

:)

I am NOT a Thai apologist by any stretch. You are falling into the familiar expat pattern of trying to educate the Thai you are having trouble with the old "this is how WE deal with things like this."

It is the woman's value system and reputation that apply here in her environment.

Not yours.

Believe me, she couldn't give a toss.

Possible reasons for her craziness and her over-reaction and some suggestions for putting this all behind you have already been spelled out rather clearly for you so I needn't repeat them.

Your Western concept of ACCIDENT as excuse means NOTHING to her. . . . . . . especially if she was with a man, or any other person for that matter, when you butt-dialled her.

You have a little trouble with that EMPATHY thing, don't you there, Thailandpermanent.

Wrong or right; Thais are indeed VERY touchy regarding matters of reputation. Your approach at remedying what appears to you to be a tiny little slip-up bears all the markings of the hapless farang who lectured a pack of Thais on Ekamai a couple of years ago.

HIS famous last words out in front of Sherbet ?? "Six against one is not fair."

Sure. He was right where he comes from.

Sure, it WASN'T fair but all he did was compound the problem by causing them further loss of face by "teaching" them.

They put the poor guy in the hospital and there was NOTHING anyone could have done.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Edited by Donnie Brasco
  • Like 1

When I have a job opening, I request certain documentation, including a copy of the information page of the passport. Until I get the information requested, there is no interview and there is no job offer.

+ 1. Gotta agree with Scott, as I'm also doing the hiring English teachers part at our school. Why would I not want to see the most important ones, the passport, visa status, nationality, date of birth, etc...???

I prefer to have an imagination, who the person really is.-wai2.gif

I try to find out whether the gf is a sex worker. It's usually pretty obvious if you can meet her face-to-face, but if you can't you can get clues from where they met, where she's from etc. If she is, the guy doesn't get the job. Parents will be upset to know their child is being educated by a teacher who's in a relationship with a prostitute, the school loses face plus there is the drama and histrionics that accompany this type of relationship. It often affects the appearnce, reliability and behaviour of the teacher. No thanks.

That's the thing

I don't want to doubt what the guy is saying but being disturbed at 2am does not usually result in a police report if you genuinelly mid-dialed. I know it's an inconvenience but all this talk of losing face and culture blink.png.pagespeed.ce.1yRKwuklr5.png

As if no one in the entire country has ever been called at an inconvenient time

I'd have answered one of those 50 additional calls after the accidental calling to apologise again and clear things up. It's just a mis-dial, after all ...

I wasn't gonna come back and view the thread as it's all over now. But I thought I'd have a look. All the other answers on from my last post have been great for what it's worth.

Donnie Brasco in particular has shown that you can disagree with someone, detail your points and educate them on a different point of view. Good post Donnie, out of curiosity is there a link to that Ekamai story?

Yeah, riling Thai guys up is an absolute no-no. Rest assured this situation has made me be even more careful than usual

Look this is really very simple ,, YOU accidentaly dialled her number, had it been during working hours its no problem,,,,, BUT you accidentally dialled her number at 2am ,,,this has made her loose face big time ,, maybe she was with her husband ? maybe she now thinks you see her as an available whore ,, she wont see this as a mistake and for her to accept it that way would be un Thai and illogical and make her loose more face , best change your number and forget ,She will calm down and forget but Thais are very touchy

Thank you for the reply. I agree, best to forget and let her run out of energy.

Interesting though, do Thai's really think like this?

Do you have some other examples? just curious, not been in Thailand as long as the other people here smile.png

its well known that Thai logic is not the same as Western logic , Some Thai women will take offence if they think their social status is being besmirched evn accidentely .

Its the reverse flip of Thais not taking ownership of faults or errors .

But they burn out of anger eventually