can my dad sponser my daughter-in-law for selltlement visa to uk

hi all

i,m now after getting my daughter-in-law a settlement visa to the uk. She has been twice on a visit visa and has 2 babies with my son. i cannot sponser her as i have my thai husband here on a settlement visa, my son isn,t earning enough at this time, but my father has enough money in the bank to sponser her, i have looked at the home office web site which says a grandparent can apply for an adult dependent relative. would a grandparent be able to sponser grand daughter-in-law. thanks

If i understand correctly, it is you son who will need to be the sponsor, it is he who needs to meet the financial requirment, your father could gift the money, bit it needs to be under the sons sole control for 6 months or son/wifes, the figures are roughly £60 000 pounds but depends on your sons salary.

If i understand correctly, it is you son who will need to be the sponsor, it is he who needs to meet the financial requirment, your father could gift the money, bit it needs to be under the sons sole control for 6 months or son/wifes, the figures are roughly £60 000 pounds but depends on your sons salary.

my son doesnt earn the financial requirements required, my father wouldnt put the money in his account, plus my son would have to wait six months, but my father would sponser my daughter-in-law, can he do this ?. the 2 children are english so funds are only needed for her

No 3rd party support is allowed, your son is the sponsor, the funds must be held in you sons name or son/gf/wifes name, you father can gift the money to your son, but would be a good idea to have a letter stating that the money is a gift. , note there is a case going through the courts now with reference to the financial requirements in March so some things might change

Edited by howerde

then what does a grandparent can apply for an adult dependent relative mean. i,m confused as always when i start visa stuff, sorry

Karen

This might help :

Adult dependent relatives

You can apply for permission to settle permanently here (known as 'indefinite leave to enter or remain') if you are:

• aged 18 or over; and
  • a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a British citizen or person settled in the UK

You can apply to join a settled person in the UK if:

• You need long-term personal care to perform every day tasks, such as washing and cooking.
  • The care you need is not available in the country where you are living, either because it is not available and there is no person in the country where you are living who can reasonably provide it or it is not affordable.
  • Your sponsor can show that he or she is able to provide adequate maintenance, accommodation and care for you without having to rely on public funds. Your sponsor will need to sign a sponsorship undertaking form to confirm that they will be responsible for your care without relying on public funds for a period of at least 5 years.

Karen,

You might have been confusing it with Other Dependent Relatives, but that does not apply either. The rules say :

Parents, grandparents and other dependent relatives of persons present and settled in the United Kingdom Requirements for indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom

317. The requirements to be met by a person seeking indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom are that the person:

(i) is related to a person present and settled in the United Kingdom in one of the following ways:

(ii) is joining or accompanying a person who is present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; and

(a) parent or grandparent who is divorced, widowed, single or separated aged 65 years or over; or

(b ) parents or grandparents travelling together of whom at least one is aged 65 or over; or

© a parent or grandparent aged 65 or over who has entered into a second relationship of marriage or civil partnership but cannot look to the spouse, civil partner or children of that second relationship for financial support; and where the person settled in the United Kingdom is able and willing to maintain the parent or grandparent and any spouse or civil partner or child of the second relationship who would be admissible as a dependant; or

(d) parent or grandparent under the age of 65 if living alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances; or

(e) parents or grandparents travelling together who are both under the age of 65 if living in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances; or

(f) the son, daughter, sister, brother, uncle or aunt over the age of 18 if living alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances; and

(iii) is financially wholly or mainly dependent on the relative present and settled in the United Kingdom; and

(iv) can, and will, be accommodated adequately, together with any dependants, without recourse to public funds, in accommodation which the sponsor owns or occupies exclusively; and

(iva) can, and will, be maintained adequately, together with any dependants, without recourse to public funds; and

(v) has no other close relatives in his own country to whom he could turn for financial support; and

(vi) if seeking leave to enter, holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity; and

(vii) does not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal.

Edited by Tony M

No 3rd party support is allowed, your son is the sponsor, the funds must be held in you sons name or son/gf/wifes name, you father can gift the money to your son, but would be a good idea to have a letter stating that the money is a gift. , note there is a case going through the courts now with reference to the financial requirements in March so some things might change

Worth remembering there are tax implications for such a gift and if your son is in receipt of any benefits it must be declared.