Caring for Thai / British child...

Does anyone have any experience of applying for a visa on the basis of caring for their child in Thailand ?

I have a son who has both a Thai and British passport and i would like to know what the requirements are for applying for a visa to look after him in Thailand.

Would i have to get a divorce from his mother ?

Would he have to live with me full time ?

What exact financial evidence would i have to show ?

Any help would be appreciated .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You could get a visa but not an extension of stay based upon having a Thai child because you are still married.

With cooperation from your wife you could get a multiple entry non-o visa with your marriage certificate (and copy), signed copies of her house book and ID card.

You could also possibly get a visa by showing your child's birth certificate, your marriage certificate and copy of house book that your child is registered in.

I think that the original post may not come over quite as you intended.

I apologise if I am wrong but it sounds as if you are looking for an alternative way to stay in Thailand without having to have the 400k for the marriage extension? If that is the case then whilst it might be possible to get the extension based on the Thai child, (assuming you are the "legal" father) sadly it wouldn't remove the need to show the 400k in the bank, and this wouldn't change if you were divorced, widowed or even if your wife was abducted by aliens etc.

If the reason for the post was not money related and just to establish whether you could go this route in the event of a divorce, then yes you should be able to get it based on being the "Legal" father of the Thai child...... with either the 400k for the extension or through consuls outside Thailand if you don't have or dont want to bring in the 400k but this will I think only get you single entry visas as I believe that they don't give multi entries for this anymore apparently.

You should also be able to get 60 day extensions from immigration with just the birth certificate and no financials...

Would it be possible if we gor divorced ?

If you got divorced and were given full or joint custody of your child you could get an extension of stay at immigration by showing 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income. You could also get a multiple entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate.(Savannakhet is only choice nearby).

If you got divorced and were given full or joint custody of your child you could get an extension of stay at immigration by showing 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income. You could also get a multiple entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate.(Savannakhet is only choice nearby).

Are you sure that you can get multiple entry non o visas based on having legal custody of a Thai child at Savannakhet either with or without the 400k? I am sure that I read that you could only get single entry visas from local consulates nowadays.

Are you sure that you can get multiple entry non o visas based on having legal custody of a Thai child at Savannakhet either with or without the 400k? I am sure that I read that you could only get single entry visas from local consulates nowadays.

The consulate in Savannakhet Laos will do a multiple entry visa without financial proof if you have all the required documents.

You must either have been married to your child's mother or have had your parenthood legitimized if not married.

If married you must have custody by way of a divorce decree.

Along with legitimization you must have custody by way of a court order or be able to present a Kor Ror 14.from an Amphoe.

A friend of mine who's marriage ended returned back to the UK with his Thai / British child , his Thai wife went to the police station and signed the required documents for the child to go and live in the UK as she felt the child would have a better life with the father sadly a few years later my friend died of cancer and I believe his son is being brought up by other members of the family. If I remember correctly it was a very simple procedure as the child's mother was not interested in he child's welfare I believe she returned back to her old job working in a massage parlour

A friend of mine who's marriage ended returned back to the UK with his Thai / British child , his Thai wife went to the police station and signed the required documents for the child to go and live in the UK as she felt the child would have a better life with the father sadly a few years later my friend died of cancer and I believe his son is being brought up by other members of the family. If I remember correctly it was a very simple procedure as the child's mother was not interested in he child's welfare I believe she returned back to her old job working in a massage parlour

What you posted about is totally different than the ongoing discussion.

What the mother probably did was give full parental rights to the father which would be done at a Amphoe not a police station.

Hello someone just pointed me to this site as i am having a similar issue . I have full legal custody of my 2 Thai children. Due to my work I have noit needed to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days in the last 5 years. However i will be staying full time from about December this year . If I am understanding the information on this thread correctly I can attain a 1 year multi entry from the consulate in Laos if i provide divorce and custody papers plus proof of 400k in Thai bank account ?

Hello someone just pointed me to this site as i am having a similar issue . I have full legal custody of my 2 Thai children. Due to my work I have noit needed to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days in the last 5 years. However i will be staying full time from about December this year . If I am understanding the information on this thread correctly I can attain a 1 year multi entry from the consulate in Laos if i provide divorce and custody papers plus proof of 400k in Thai bank account ?

You don't need the 400k baht to do it. You would need their birth certificates, divorce decree showing custody and their house book.

If you have the 400k or 40k baht income you could get an extension of stay at immigration. With an extension you do not need to do border runs every 90 days.

Brilliant ,thanks very much. I have all of those documents, so if I go to the Thai Embassy in Laos I get the original Visa and then extend at Thai immigration with proof of 400k every 90 days

You apply at immigration for a one year extension of stay showing the 400k. Then you just make 90 day reports to them.

You would first need a single entry non-o you can get at any nearby (except KL) embassy or consulate.

If you are in or near Bangkok you could convert a visa exempt entry or tourist visa to a non immigrant visa entry as long as you have 15 days remaining on your entry.

You can also get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your children.

Thanks again , I can get a 90 or 60 day from Penang to start with. I've been emailing visa "Experts" and lawyers (The same ones who did my divorce and custody) for the last 2 months and I've been told to go to either Australia or the UK to apply or I can't get one or I have to get a spousal visa. I don't think the legal custody rules and regs are too well known , well not by the ones i asked anyway. I'm sure some of them over complicate it to justify the fee.

Very useful site , wished I'd signed up years ago, thanks for the information , much appreciated

Thanks again , I can get a 90 or 60 day from Penang to start with. I've been emailing visa "Experts" and lawyers (The same ones who did my divorce and custody) for the last 2 months and I've been told to go to either Australia or the UK to apply or I can't get one or I have to get a spousal visa. I don't think the legal custody rules and regs are too well known , well not by the ones i asked anyway. I'm sure some of them over complicate it to justify the fee.

Very useful site , wished I'd signed up years ago, thanks for the information , much appreciated

You can get a single entry non-o visa in Penang and then during the last 30 days of your 90 entry apply for the one year extension of stay immigration. You should check with the immigration office where you will be applying to find out what documents (house photos, proof of residence and etc) they will require.

I think that the original post may not come over quite as you intended.

I apologise if I am wrong but it sounds as if you are looking for an alternative way to stay in Thailand without having to have the 400k for the marriage extension? If that is the case then whilst it might be possible to get the extension based on the Thai child, (assuming you are the "legal" father) sadly it wouldn't remove the need to show the 400k in the bank, and this wouldn't change if you were divorced, widowed or even if your wife was abducted by aliens etc.

If the reason for the post was not money related and just to establish whether you could go this route in the event of a divorce, then yes you should be able to get it based on being the "Legal" father of the Thai child...... with either the 400k for the extension or through consuls outside Thailand if you don't have or dont want to bring in the 400k but this will I think only get you single entry visas as I believe that they don't give multi entries for this anymore apparently.

You should also be able to get 60 day extensions from immigration with just the birth certificate and no financials...

The Thai lawyer has said once that 500K (not 400K) will be required in the event of a divorce. Is that true?