Business people seek Indian Embassy help: Satish Sehgal

webfact

Business people seek Indian Embassy help
The Nation

30226461-01_big.gif
Satish Sehgal

Want aid to stop deportation of Sehgal, who has lived here 50 years

BANGKOK: -- The Silom business community has urged the Indian Embassy to intervene to stop a prominent Indian businessman who has lived in Thailand for half a century from being deported over his role in anti-government protests.

A group of businesspeople led by Chumsil Sothipreedawong yesterday submitted a petition to the embassy in support of Indian national Satish Sehgal.

In the letter, the group said Sehgal should not be deported because he had lived in Thailand a long time and had made many contributions to Thai society, the economy and Thailand-India relations.

Sehgal, who has lived in Thailand since 1964, is chairman of the India-Thai Business Forum and most of his relatives have Thai citizenship.

"Although he is an Indian national and ethnic [indian], Satish has lived in Thailand for long time and is very loyal to the Thai monarchy," the group said.

"The CMPO [Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order] order to deport Satish is too harsh.

"The ambassador should provide assistance to protect his rights, his living in Thailand, as well as the continuity of his business."

An immigration official said a board with made up of various security agency officials chaired by Wibul Sanguanpong, permanent secretary at the Interior Ministry, would today consider the request by the Department of Special Investigation and the CMPO to deport Sehgal.

Interior Minister Jaruphong Ruangsuwan said he had instructed Wibul to collect as much evidence as possible to support the Government's case against Sehgal.

However the immigration official said the evidence against the Indian was not strong enough.

He said there were news reports of Sehgal's involvement in protests at the offices of various government agencies, but none of the agencies had lodged a complaint against him.

Most of Sehgal's protests occurred before the state of emergency declaration.

The official said it was risky to try and deport Sehgal without solid evidence, as he could initiate legal action to stay in the country or seek a huge compensation pay-out.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-10

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some this seems to be a very funny topic. Chalerm will want cash under the table to let go. Mean dogs want bigger bones all the time. Besides, the cmpo-boss really wants to show his teeth. Can't do that at the protesters coz they have him running out the back door. He's the laughing stock as far as policing is concerned.

With mr. Segal he has an easy victim. And his fanclub can have some sick laughs too...

Edited by EricBerg
  • Like 1

Hahahaha. These people are living in lala land.

Note to these numpties.

The Indian embassy cannot grant the right to stay in Thailand. You need to petition the Thai government to discuss this issue.

The Democrats don't even know their own country's Immigration laws. What did you expect?

• Like 1

For some this seems to be a very funny topic. Chalerm will want cash under the table to let go. Mean dogs want bigger bones all the time. Besides, the cmpo-boss really wants to show his teeth. Can't do that at the protesters coz they have him running out the back door. He's the laughing stock as far as policing is concerned.

With mr. Segal he has an easy victim. And his fanclub can have some sick laughs too...

When the protesting thai nationalists start petitioning foreign embassies to protect foreigners from the vagaries of thai law, yes indeed it is hilarious.

Its like a buddhist going to a catholic church praying for the intervention of Mohammed.

How about the thais go and petition their own government to sort out their mess, since we are repeatedly told that as farangs we should f off.

Maybe they should ask Obama.

He can answer on a NaSA letterhead.

Still awaiting ur answer from a previous request.

No amount of money is going to save this bloke. He is literally a kaerk.

Edited by Thai at Heart

With great respect to the gentleman in question, the danger here is that exceptions to a rule are made. We were all told that foreign nationals should avoid all protests during the SOE, and to avoid engaging in partisan activities which could inflame the already volatile situation. I feel that if I had breached this order, I would be on a plane already, same for most normal 'commoners' like myself. We don't really want two-tiered justice system, with airport style privilege for VIPs.

That said I think it is a shame that it has come to this, he seems like a harmless old gentleman who loves Thailand. I'm sure there's a long list of far more deport-worthy persons out there.

From his perspective, I am sure "one does not want a two tier justice system, since one would only be involved if one did something wrong. Oneself of course, never would do anything wrong. Would oneself?"

• Like 1

Why would the Indian government care? He left India 55 yrs ago, never worked or paid taxes in India, considers Thailand as his country and considers himself Thai. The Indian tax payer shouldn't be billed to help this trouble maker.

• Like 1

Why would the Indian government care? He left India 55 yrs ago, never worked or paid taxes in India, considers Thailand as his country and considers himself Thai. The Indian tax payer shouldn't be billed to help this trouble maker.

I thought they are claiming he is thai??????

And these are the supposed intelligentsia.

I still dont get why this clearly smart and successful business man has never gone for Thai citizenship, I wonder. India allows a duel citizenship so I see absolutely no reason why this guy wouldn't have applied decades ago with all his contacts, unless he cannot meet the criteria of course.

I don't see why the Indian gov would get involved in a case thats only about deportation for one of its citizens involving themselves in a political movement in another nation hes not a citizen of, seems like a can of worms for them to me.

I still dont get why this clearly smart and successful business man has never gone for Thai citizenship, I wonder. India allows a duel citizenship so I see absolutely no reason why this guy wouldn't have applied decades ago with all his contacts, unless he cannot meet the criteria of course.

I don't see why the Indian gov would get involved in a case thats only about deportation for one of its citizens involving themselves in a political movement in another nation hes not a citizen of, seems like a can of worms for them to me.

He is desperately squirming for help right now.

Big big mistake, what he did, and do u really think that chalerm gives a damn about a kaek? He is, in thai.political terms an absolute no one.

It is a hard call but I think it will remain deportation , basically under the rules, unless you are a Thai, you are really a nobody identity, if you are Thai, DSI will charge you with sedition ,anarchy or some frivolous charge, so be careful good people helping Satish

• Like 1

This story can't be true, caretaker-FM Surapong said that deporting this long-term resident "will not negatively affect Thai-Indian relations.", only a couple of days ago.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702917-surapong-believes-deporting-indian-businessman-satish-sehgal-wont-affect-thai-indian-relations/

But now the OP says that the local Indian business-community is concerned, and have handed-in a petition to their Embassy in Bangkok, asking for help from their Ambassador.

So damage is already being done to Thai-Indian relations, despite the caretaker-FM's assertion, perhaps time to ponder or mull the benefits of reconciliation & a less hardline approach ?

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 2

This story can't be true, caretaker-FM Surapong said that deporting this long-term resident "will not negatively affect Thai-Indian relations.", only a couple of days ago.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702917-surapong-believes-deporting-indian-businessman-satish-sehgal-wont-affect-thai-indian-relations/

But now the OP says that the local Indian business-community is concerned, and have handed-in a petition to their Embassy in Bangkok, asking for help from their Ambassador.

So damage is already being done to Thai-Indian relations, despite the caretaker-FM's assertion, perhaps time to ponder or mull the benefits of reconciliation & a less hardline approach ?

I'll wait for mittal steel or tata to speak up before I get too worried. The silom business asociation?

Wow. Big players.

• Like 1

"Interior Minister Jaruphong Ruangsuwan said he had instructed Wibul to collect as much evidence as possible to support the Government's case against Sehgal.

However the immigration official said the evidence against the Indian was not strong enough."

Lets hope they go with the evidence rather than just go along with PT's vendetta.

• Like 1

If all that had been reported were accurate, he should be arrested, charged, trial, and imprisoned and after prison term, deported. It does not matter how much a person is seem or perceived as contributed much to Thailand.

Evidence? Charge? Trial? Wow we agree (well all except the final sentence that is).

I'll wait for mittal steel or tata to speak up before I get too worried. The silom business asociation?

Wow. Big players.

Bigger than you.

Hahahaha. These people are living in lala land.

Note to these numpties.

The Indian embassy cannot grant the right to stay in Thailand. You need to petition the Thai government to discuss this issue.

The Democrats don't even know their own country's Immigration laws. What did you expect?

What laws are you referring to? To quote you from another thread "Give us a link'! And Thai at heart, I doubt the Business community think the Indian Embassy can grant the right of stay. If you want to petition the Thai Government then who's help would you get...the appropriate Ambassador rolleyes.gif

Wow. Big players.

Your comments seem uncharacteristically knobish this morning, has the prescription medicine run out? Do you have any idea of how much the 'Silom Business Association' is worth, in particular the Indian community? It is where almost every diamond and every baht of Gold in this country runs through, whether physically or on paper. The Indian business lobby will have a lot of say here, already the immigration official is saying 'not enough evidence' so who is full of BS here, the Indian guy who speaks the truth or Chalerm who wants press conference time?

I know quite a few of them.

Still a little confused why they are petitioning for the indian embassy to intervene to allow entry into thailand.

He might get away with it, but it will be to the greater detriment of the system. He is extremely silly to have done what he did. Chalerm will get him I believe.

The Indian community is not one amorphous group either. They have their cliques.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Wow. Big players.

Bigger than you.

U don't know me from Adam. Careful.

After 50 years, one would have to wonder why he doesn't have proper Thai "connections" who can "fix" this. It's also a wonder as to why his own substantial Indian/Thai community has seemed to throw him under the bus. Maybe he is a sacrifice from the group.

The last Indian of any note in the Thai press is that Rakesh Saxena, the guy the Thais extradited back to Thailand in a wheelchair for bank fraud and laundering charges. He was all the rage in the Thai press and then they just dropped him and we don't hear from him anymore. He probably has a rich black book of Thai co-conspirators and they have him on ice until he kicks the bucket.

Edited by noitom

Your comments seem uncharacteristically knobish this morning, has the prescription medicine run out? Do you have any idea of how much the 'Silom Business Association' is worth, in particular the Indian community? It is where almost every diamond and every baht of Gold in this country runs through, whether physically or on paper. The Indian business lobby will have a lot of say here, already the immigration official is saying 'not enough evidence' so who is full of BS here, the Indian guy who speaks the truth or Chalerm who wants press conference time?

Your sure about that are you ? id say certainly the gold is mainly Chinese run for a start, gemstones not entirely sure but would be surprised if it were Indian.

Im interested please show me where it says Indians run or dominate the gold and diamond market in Thailand

So I take it these business people pleading with the Indian Government for an Indian to stay in Thailand are actually Indians themselves. Good luck with that. I don't think a lone Indian Citizen being deported home is going to be much of a priority for the Indian Government or upset diplomatic relations that much. Plenty more Indian Tailors in Thailand.