Are civil servants, govt workers being paid under caretaker govt?

fifthcolumn

The 2014 budget was approved prior to all the serious nonsense, the catetaker govt has authoity to spend money in accordance and cannot create new expeditures correct?

If a new fresh govt is not in place, it cannot create and pass the 2015 budget as well, correct?

Is there a time when govt workers - those in all the ministries in BKK, even the military, police, trains, aviation...whatever. Can they go unpaid due to aforemrntioned or other reasons?

Would then anti Yingluck PTP supporters dry up?

Would typical useless bureaucrats in the ministries go without checks potentially?

Surely no country in the world would be so stupid and short sighted to set up a set of rules that put itself in a situation whereby the basic infrastructure can't function due to a mere political issue ?

In Australia it is called 'supply' and if the opposition has the numbers in the upper house it can block supply and shut down government.

The United States from time to time has government shutdown when budgetary items aren't approved.

I'd say there are provisions for bare bones services but beyond that with no budget in place most things will grind to a halt.

Surely no country in the world would be so stupid and short sighted to set up a set of rules that put itself in a situation whereby the basic infrastructure can't function due to a mere political issue ?

In the USA the Republican Party congressionment shutdown the government for 2 weeks in 2013, causing all civil service employees and government contractors to be taken off their jobs. However, active duty military were exempt as were some "critical" functions like the border patrol. Some employees were ordered to continue working without pay. A month later all employees were given backpay.

My wife is a senior civil servant and still gets paid, she said pretty much nothing has changed, only in Bkk where they physically couldn't get too work because of the blockades but now they are back too. She has worked in the job for years and can't stomach either party, she's an accounting boss and say's they are a bad as each other but did say the yellow party were marginally the worst when it came to dodgy schemes.

Edited by sabian

I am hearing tales of farang teachers being layed off temporarily so that budget money can be sent

to support the protesters in BKK. Apparently this happened in Buriram where a friend of mine works.

Anyone else know anything about this kind of thing?

Sounds like BS to me, convenient excuse.

Lots of schools try to prevent foreign teachers from accumulating continuous employment over a long period of time so they don't have to pay out severance owed at the end of employment if they don't renew the contract.

To the point where it's getting more and more common for schools to only offer 11-month contracts, so each year you're starting the clock over again.

Not to mention not having to pay you during the summer break.