PDRC core leader Sonthiyarn arrested in Bangkok

webfact

Great news. I bet the others are less cocky now. I have a bottle of champagne waiting for the day I see Suthep in leg shackles.

Pretty much the whole of Thailand have a bottle of champagne ready for that. (except for a handful of grandmas at the protest sites and a few other neo-dictationship oddballs)

Hopefully they distribute a High Definition 1080p, 60 frames per second slow motion version of his imminent arrest, conviction and jailing, with a zoom in on his face. laugh.png

One can only hope once Dear YK and her merry bandits are shown the door, that the "fascist" Suthep rounds up all the "Red Farangs" and deports them, and petitions their home goverments to prevent further international travel on the basis of stupidity

From your 13,000 posts I have ascertained you know very little about what goes on here. The group you refer to as 'red farangs' are simply people who believe in equal opportunities, level playing fields and whatever else brings down an heirarchical society that Thailand is.

We have being debating with anti government supporters for the best part of 5 years and honestly winning most arguments. All this achieved with both arms tied behind our backs...unlike you.

Dream on if you really think most people accept any arguments defending a corrupt regime, that repeatedly lies (usually badly), has acted illegally, refuses transparency and abuses parliamentary procedures even though it has a large majority of seats. A bunch of shysters.

I believe in democracy, the rule of law, meritocracy and a government accountable to the people. You must be mad if you think the Shins are in favor of anything like that. They want their gang heading the hierarchy, for their benefit as opposed to the previous gangs. Look at their track record - plenty to see.

• Like 1

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am no apologist for Communism, but being born into a 'middle class' family does come with underlying 'entitlements' that are often denied the 'working class'.

Easier access to a higher standard of education

Better health provision

Higher incomes and far better housing conditions

A greater respect in Thai society, whether earned or not

Opportunities to travel

Often the capacity to engage servants to carry out menial tasks around the home

Clearly these 'entitlements' are not your fault, they arrived as a consequence of the family you were born into, but, if I fall into your category of a 'red shirt farang' it is only because I would like to see some narrowing of the gap between the haves, the have little and the have nots in Thailand

We should not be pigeon-holed into anything based on what class of family we are born.

There are royalty who would like to see the poorer folk do better.

There are poor people who would only like to see themselves do well and don't give a hoot about others.

Professor Esther Duflo of MIT said it well in her book "poor economics"

The reason poor people remain poor is because of the mentality of hopelessness.

It isn't their fault but their surroundings have molded them into this state.

The ones who make it out of poverty do so because they are were mentally stronger and able to lift themselves out of this mentality and try to better themselves.

Like the saying, don't give them fish, teach them how to fish.

Same saying, don't give them handouts or a million baht per tambon. Don't give them rice subsidies.

Give them access to healthcare so that with physical strength they have the opportunity to build mental strength.

Teach them to farm more efficiently. Provide them the opportunity to learn how to apply local knowledge to increase yields. Don't give them technology they don't understand. Don't assume on their behalf that we know what they need.

Its the mentality that opportunities exist and that with and only with your two hands can you lift yourself from poverty.

Bridging the gap between the have's and have nots should not come at the expense of the rights of the haves.

If we took away all of what the have's (which is probably everyone here at TV because you all have computers, internet access and a place to sleep tonight) and re-distributed it according to communistic principles would you all be fine with that?

I think a better idea is to stop corruption and all that money distributed to politicians and re-distribute it via better healthcare, low-cost housing, safe roads and free access to education.

A few comments:

The policies that you recommend and others were introduced by Thaksin. For doing this he was hounded by the Thai ruling class.

Of course corruption should be stopped, but Thaksin was less corrupt than other PMs (cf Transparency International), so don't blame him for corruption. The champion in that regard was the notorious Sarit - a conservative, by the way.

The cause of most of the problems we see today in Thai politics was the coup in 2006 and the subsequent 'judicial coups'.

No-one, as far as I know, in the PT camp is advocating communism. All are in favour of entrepreneurship. They are also in favour of democracy - and democracy is founded on voting.

Many of the insurrectionist Suthep's supporters do not believe in 'one man one vote'. They believe in 'one rich Bangkokian one vote'.

So true. I have seen so many micro projects under way in Issarn which are designed to add value to agricultural communities, all of it coming from PTP backed organisations.

The yellow side only offer a program of self-sufficiency, a program to keep poor people down in their place in the pecking order. To keep them uneducated, under-funded in public services (that goes to Bangkok), and without land rights in many cases.

And now Suthep wants to jerrymander the political system to remove the ability of Issarn people to vote democratically.

Hardly surprising that the people no longer put up with the elites.

• Like 1

Great news. I bet the others are less cocky now. I have a bottle of champagne waiting for the day I see Suthep in leg shackles.

You must lead a sad life if you would open a bottle of Champagne over something that is nothing to do with you

I doubt he still has it. Just judging by his posts.

Now we shall come to dread the knock on the door in the night

This action may well be the opening of the can of worms that will lead to blood on the streets.

Democracy is being sacrificed on the Shinwatra high altar

No need for any knocks on a door, they nabbed him in a shopping centre and that's the way its going to be. I can just see it now "top PDRC leader collared in a 7/11"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif More likely to be in a donut shop by a policeman on duty there.clap2.gif Not only is the government inept and a little short upstairs but there enforcement unit makes them look good. = A three ring circus. With the ring master in Dubai.

I notice Chalerm has a new plan. He is no longer going to go in disguise to arrest Suthep.

cheesy.gif "Other "stars" of the rally are also facing arrest, Chalerm said. "I want to tell Mr Suthep that I will no longer tolerate what he has done, laying siege to many government offices and chasing away officials who wanted to work. That's beyond acceptable and I will use the law to handle the situation," he said."cheesy.gif

He is a fine one to talk about work. Look at all the jobs he has been given and not done.tongue.png

• Like 1

Boarder patrol police? Didn't Taksin use these as his private little army before? Some people have short memories. Thailand is all about gangs; which gang do you belong too, or do you really believe the government works for all Thai people?

• Like 1

"Democracy is being sacrificed on the Shinwatra high altar..."

The People's Republic of China

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea

The Lao People's Democratic Republic

The Democratic Republic of the Congo

The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria

Despite the name, none of these are considered to be democratic. Why do you believe that the People's Democratic Reform Committee is any different?

• Like 1

I can understand how a lot of people on TV do not like Suthep or the PDRC for their hard core tactics of blocking streets, invading government offices and the seemingly undemocratic vote block etc. but am I assuming correctly many of these Suthep critics also support PTP and Thaksin? Or do you support the red shirts?

The protest movements we are seeing are a result of people being fed up with corruption and tyranny from the current government.

It started with the student protests and Guy Fawkes masks and gained momentum with Suthep joining the fray.

But it is not about Suthep or any single person. It is about how a group of politicians who were elected in by the majority of the population in the North and Northeast and financially supported by Thaksin abused their powers as can be seen by the passing of the Amnesty Bill in Parliament and the rice-pledging scheme to name a few instances.

The government run by Yingluck and the PTP clearly showed their incompetence, poor governance and lack of ethics.

This government is supported by the red shirts. How does reflect on the red shirts if they insist on supporting PTP and Thaksin?

Is there not a clear line between right and wrong here?

I'd really like to hear a good argument from all of the supposed detractors of Suthep on how Thai's can get rid of a very corrupt government elected into office? In any other developed country I think they would have all resigned in shame but not Thailand.

Can the red shirts and majority in the North and Northeast not fathom the level of corruption? Right now the farmers are feeling it.

If we insist on using our voting rights who do we vote into office? PTP? Democrats? Who?

By the way, where is yingluck, unseen for days.

She has probably been in Myanmar, joining Somchai for the meeting he had with Thaksin.

foreigners should avoid getting involved in Thai politics , but with that said im impressed by the patients of the Thai government , in my country America if you try to block government workers from doing there jobs or worse try to block the public from voting you would be arrested immediately, Democracy in Thailand is strong and it is extremely fair , tourists have nothing to fear in Thailand , so come and enjoy the Land of smile's . long live the King .

foreigners should avoid getting involved in Thai politics , but with that said im impressed by the patients of the Thai government , in my country America if you try to block government workers from doing there jobs or worse try to block the public from voting you would be arrested immediately, Democracy in Thailand is strong and it is extremely fair , tourists have nothing to fear in Thailand , so come and enjoy the Land of smile's . long live the King .

You are really new here aren't you.

• Like 1

This action may well be the opening of the can of worms that will lead to blood on the streets.

I truly think that you are correct in your assumption, of present.... goings on.....

Do not see things looking up,

If you are a Thai citizen any where in the world right now.....

Try to get a Thai Passport......

Lots of stammering here in the U.S. right now....

No guarantee, when we can renew you passport......

And from what I have read, many Passport Stations in Thailand have been.... Shut down....

I found the Thai people quite upset, at the Consulate Office in Los Angeles, California..

Just last week..... notifications their passport had arrived, and of course... It was nowhere to be found....

kilosierra blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.png

What a load of crap. (lol)cheesy.gif

• Like 1

You must lead a sad life if you would open a bottle of Champagne over something that is nothing to do with you

You must be ignorant or very very stupid, Many of us have businesses that have been directly affected by those jackass democrats.

It has everything to do with us.

PDRC core leader Sonthiyarn arrested in Bangkok

If you collect the whole set, you win a luxury apron and set of kitchen-knives!

Offer subject to secret-conditions, apron available in red or Red, scheme applies only if the government can borrow the funding, 30% admin-fee payable-in-advance by winner. facepalm.gif

Edited by Ricardo

BBC Bangkok reporter Johnathan Head just did a report 08:20 on the arrest of Sonthiyarn.

He lambasted the military on many issues and also said "Suthep was Protected by Military Special Forces".

The brief TV report also included Negative stuff about the Protesters and the Rice Farmers.

His whole report was One Sided, as usual from this guy.

His reports are consistantly Editorials and/or Opinions instead of factual Reporting.

This guy needs to get a clue. He has been here too long to give these meaningless rants without substance.

• Like 1

Another good news Monday in Bangkok! Book 'em Danno.

The first step is the hardest and the list of arrest warrantees is getting thicker. Target rich environment Mr. Chalerm.

Well where is chalerm today.

We just had days of his bluster about leading the arrest of the protest leaders.

Much earlier today one was arrested but no comment from chalerm.

He must be incapacitated.

I was incapacitated myself last night..... as a newt.

I can understand how a lot of people on TV do not like Suthep or the PDRC for their hard core tactics of blocking streets, invading government offices and the seemingly undemocratic vote block etc. but am I assuming correctly many of these Suthep critics also support PTP and Thaksin? Or do you support the red shirts?

The protest movements we are seeing are a result of people being fed up with corruption and tyranny from the current government.

It started with the student protests and Guy Fawkes masks and gained momentum with Suthep joining the fray.

But it is not about Suthep or any single person. It is about how a group of politicians who were elected in by the majority of the population in the North and Northeast and financially supported by Thaksin abused their powers as can be seen by the passing of the Amnesty Bill in Parliament and the rice-pledging scheme to name a few instances.

The government run by Yingluck and the PTP clearly showed their incompetence, poor governance and lack of ethics.

This government is supported by the red shirts. How does reflect on the red shirts if they insist on supporting PTP and Thaksin?

I'd really like to hear a good argument from all of the supposed detractors of Suthep on how Thai's can get rid of a very corrupt government elected into office? In any other developed country I think they would have all resigned in shame but not Thailand.

Can the red shirts and majority in the North and Northeast not fathom the level of corruption? Right now the farmers are feeling it.

If we insist on using our voting rights who do we vote into office? PTP? Democrats? Who?

She has probably been in Myanmar, joining Somchai for the meeting he had with Thaksin.

yup - top level PTP cabinet meeting taking place in Myanmar

all bets are off as to what to expect next, I suspect it won't be pretty

and J Head (BBC) needs to keep his mouth shut, he could very easily cause British alienation here with his stupid reporting

• Like 1

Despite the name, none of these are considered to be democratic. Why do you believe that the People's Democratic Reform Committee is any different?

Not to be controversial but may I point out to you that their is no People's Democratic Reform Committee in power. In fact there is no country other than Thailand with one. Also may I point out that they just wish to reform the government. They are not putting forth any candidates to run the country.

Just eliminate some unfair practices and make them illegal and backed up with severe penalties. After they have made there suggestions there would have to be a vote on them and then the country could hold an election. Imagine that an election in Thailand where any one excepting a bribe would be fined twice the size of the bribe and the candidate offering it disqualified as well as jailed.

That is just a thought of mine that would make sense. Of course there would be ways of working around offering the bribe but pretty hard to do that on excepting it.

The fact is there is not a lot that needs changing but what does need changing needs it badly as any one can see it has torn the country apart. A government openly thumbing their nose at the constitutional court. That is just one example.

• Like 1

yup - top level PTP cabinet meeting taking place in Myanmar

all bets are off as to what to expect next, I suspect it won't be pretty

and J Head (BBC) needs to keep his mouth shut, he could very easily cause British alienation here with his stupid reporting

smileydude

great post

Yes It would not surprise me one bit if Yingluck was in Myanmar for a face to face set of instructions. Not being a tech man myself I can see where they might fear their Skype calls being over heard.

Besides she is probably going into withdrawal from traveling and needed the trip to stop the DT's

I think J Head is a disgrace to reporting. Nothing more than a third rate wannabe spin master and failing at that level. If some one told me he never left a bar to get his information I would believe them. He probably resents having to be on a street to do the live interviews.

• Like 1

Not to be controversial but may I point out to you that their is no People's Democratic Reform Committee in power. In fact there is no country other than Thailand with one. Also may I point out that they just wish to reform the government. They are not putting forth any candidates to run the country.

Just eliminate some unfair practices and make them illegal and backed up with severe penalties. After they have made there suggestions there would have to be a vote on them and then the country could hold an election. Imagine that an election in Thailand where any one excepting a bribe would be fined twice the size of the bribe and the candidate offering it disqualified as well as jailed.

That is just a thought of mine that would make sense. Of course there would be ways of working around offering the bribe but pretty hard to do that on excepting it.

The fact is there is not a lot that needs changing but what does need changing needs it badly as any one can see it has torn the country apart. A government openly thumbing their nose at the constitutional court. That is just one example.

Great post and you are 100% correct

• Like 1

Note to k. Charlerm and the BIB. K. Suthep is a non- paying guest at the Dusit Thani Hotel and can be found their at the international buffet lunch, along with many of his henchmen, most lunchtimes between 1pm. -2pm. Go get him fellas!

Was it good?

Note to k. Charlerm and the BIB. K. Suthep is a non- paying guest at the Dusit Thani Hotel and can be found their at the international buffet lunch, along with many of his henchmen, most lunchtimes between 1pm. -2pm. Go get him fellas!

Was it good?

Not sure, I'm a vegetarian. My apologies for that grammatically poor post, complete with spelling error. ......' And can be found there, as a diner, at the international buffet lunch.......'

Was it good?

Not sure, I'm a vegetarian. My apologies for that grammatically poor post, complete with spelling error. ......' And can be found there, as a diner, at the international buffet lunch.......'

dont vegetarians eat international buffets..?

Was it good?

Not sure, I'm a vegetarian. My apologies for that grammatically poor post, complete with spelling error. ......' UAnd can be found there, as a diner, at the international buffet lunch.......'

dont vegetarians eat international buffets..?

No, I just loitered around the salad bar........