Abhisit sets conditions for contesting election

webfact

Abhisit sets conditions for contesting election
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has hinted that the party will take part in a new election if the Yingluck government accepts four proposals.

The proposals are derived from the results of a recent survey of protesters that was conducted in an attempt to find ways the warring parties can find a common ground.

The proposals are: implementing national reform, no coups, stop proceeding with the February 2 election and a neutral body must manage national reform and there must be a fresh national election.

"If the PM wants to safeguard democracy as she had said, she must accept the four wishes of the people," Abhisit said.

"If there is reform and a new election is accepted by all parties, the Democrat Party is ready to take part in the new election."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-11

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If the PM wants to safeguard democracy as she had said, she must accept the four wishes of the people," Abhisit said."

Same old, same old from someone frothing at the mouth about wanting to be PM. but rejected at every turn...A one-trick pony Elitist, thinking he doesn't need to reform himself or his party, so the electorate must.

As in this quote....."Four wishes of the people"?....Since when are these electoral minority coup-mongers and their shadowy supporters "The people"?........The people spoke on Feb. 2nd. and he is so afraid of what they said. He wants to 'deep-six' their opinion.

Follow the bouncing ball of all this coup-intentioned noise - anti-amnesty stuff...then... anti-Thaksin opionating...then... anti-electoral activism...then...reform before election.... now.... nullify, the election......What next? ....At least they are consistent in one thing....The underpinning of it all. Coup-intentionism by those who cannot be elected by "The People"

The most pitiful thing however is all this self-righteous, holier-than-thou bleating about 'reform'....If their intentions were honorable, they would take their opinionating about this to Parliament....But they know they will always be the minority there, as long as they don't conform themselves to the wishes of "The people"....Their entitlement arrogance doesn't allow them to do that...In their 'humble' opinion, "The people" need to 'conform' themselves to their enlightened Political insights.....

Next time I will tell you what I really thinkwai.gif

Do share what those "people" said on 2 feb???

As in this quote....."Four wishes of the people"?....Since when are these electoral minority coup-mongers and their shadowy supporters "The people"?........The people spoke on Feb. 2nd. and he is so afraid of what they said. He wants to 'deep-six' their opinion.

The people (most of them) voted already.

43 million (roughly) of the population were eligible to vote, yet only 20 million (roughly) did so out of a population of 70 million or so. That's less than 30% of the entire population. And (let's say) PT got around 50% of that vote, it means PT are only approved by around 15% of the population.

Is my maths correct? Did "the people" really vote for PT this time around?

1. The people were denied the opportunity to vote for the Dems by... the Dems.

2. There are not 70 million voters in TL

I said population of 70 million (the people).

And the Dems stopped 20 million people voting? Wow, gotta give them credit.

43 million (roughly) of the population were eligible to vote, yet only 20 million (roughly) did so out of a population of 70 million or so. That's less than 30% of the entire population. And (let's say) PT got around 50% of that vote, it means PT are only approved by around 15% of the population.

Oh yes, everyone why turned out for the election to exercise their democratic right voted for PTP - just ask the PTP and the red trolls, they will confirm it over and over.

• Like 1

Why didn't he accept the 2 Feb election? All the conditions he mentioned were already existed. Will there be another election blockage game and become like a never ending game? If he can come up with a clear proposal to prevent anti election blocking activities, I am prepare to have new election if all other 2 Feb participating parties agreed and 2 Feb poll was constitutional.

AV's argument that PM must accept the protesters (he called it the people) 4 conditions to safeguard democracy was a poor one. His silent on the anti election and violence protest activities means he lose the legitimacy to use democracy as argument.

However, I support a new election to help the dem to get out of the mess they created for the country, the people and for themselves.

Send from my Mobile

• Like 1

1. The people were denied the opportunity to vote for the Dems by... the Dems.

2. There are not 70 million voters in TL

I said population of 70 million (the people).

And the Dems stopped 20 million people voting? Wow, gotta give them credit.

And any Dems who did vote won't have voted PTP.

Abhisit proposing five (5) reforms not four as he states. Abhisit would of course be part of the "neutral" reform committee. The reform committee should be designated by the people in each province. 77 provinces represented. Number of delegates from each province based on the population. Thais should also be putting ordinary Thais in the delegations , you know those with no teeth and no money. They are Thais right and they have the right to vote and to determine the priorities of their future.

I am afraid the neutral people he mentioned were the unelected people of people council. He should tell the peaceful people who he would propose.

Send from my Mobile

To be honest the reform that the PTP is thinking of and what the others are thinking are two different things, the level of corruption at high levels in the administration dictates that the only way forward for the PTP is bulldozing through their own brand of reforms and therein lies the problem , unless everyone is on the same page , in- fighting and protests will continue.

Edited by chainarong

If they got 50% of the vote (constituency), it'd still amount to more votes than the Democrats got during the last election.

• Like 2