Insurance - Laptop/camera Etc

JCCR6

I'm heading over to Thailand next month, hopefully should be a long term move. I've not yet sorted accomodation, so have no fixed address. I'll be bringing a laptop and camera, which I'd like to insure - I probably won't have much else of great value - clothes and essentials.

I've had a look at full blown expat insurance - which seems to be pretty pricey, as does backpacker insurance. Does anyone have any idea where I might find a reasonable policy to cover me? I can't, as far as I know, get contents insurance without having a fixed address - is this correct?

I've thought about getting a short term policy - ie. holiday insurance, then looking for something more suitable when I get over.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John.

You can get Travel Insurance before you leave your home country and over time if you are not happy with what you might find over here just extend you travel cover till you find what suits you in Thailand. I think the max cover you can get is up to a year 365days. :o

This will take care of your computer and camera + your health for the present time.

Is this not what you asked about in your post?

You can get Travel Insurance before you leave your home country and over time if you are not happy with what you might find over here just extend you travel cover till you find what suits you in Thailand. I think the max cover you can get is up to a year 365days. :o

This will take care of your computer and camera + your health for the present time.

Is this not what you asked about in your post?

I've looked at travel insurance, but most seem to be limited to a maximum of 4 weeks... I thought about getting an annual multi-trip, but then if I need to claim and I've been out of the UK for say 6 months - will they still pay out? I've never had to make a claim, so I don't know what they ask for, are flight details or anything like that required? Any suggestions as to which companies to check out?

Thanks in advance.

I think your right, most annual policies will only insure you for a maximum of 90 days at a time, this migt be ok until you sort something else out, your only other option, like you said before is backpacker insurance, or maybe take out some other type of private insurance. Try speaking to an insurance company, and explain what you want and see what they can offer :o