Which 4-door pick-up to buy (secondhand)?

simon43

Does it make a lot of difference? Does one model have a good or bad reputation?

I hope to buy a used, 4-door pick-up for use at our hotel to transport guests and liuggage to/from the nearby airport. (We already have a Toyota Wish and Toyota Altus). So usage will not be off-road, and no regular long-distance runs to/from Bangkok.

We need another vehicle, especially to transport Chinese guests! Sounds racist, but our Chinese guests often book a room for 2 persons and then arrive with the whole family and luggage in tow - too many to squeeze into our current vehicles. So I propose to buy a 4-door pick-up and throw the excess persons and luggage into the back, then speed a bit to the hotel, and maybe lose a few of these extra guests on the way ... :)

Any specific models to avoid or look out for?

Simon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to beat Toyota. I have a 2006, 4 door, top model, leather. etc. Just turned 150,000 km and have spent very little on maintenance/repairs. Still runs as strong as when it was new and looks great. Rugged and absorbs the abuse of Thai roads. So I've been very pleased with the vehicle and the service, which is readily available anywhere in Thailand.

I have a 4 door chevy pick up..196,000 on clock never had an issue with anything on it..was well looked after when i got it,i do the same...am thinking of selling...abt 350,000..only been around Samui/surat..never been driven hard..so for me the chevy seems a very good buy

The biggest issue is...has the used vehicle been maintained. Buying it off a lot...probably not. Preventative maintenance???

This is what makes buying a used vehicle so tough here.

Edited by Pinot
  • Like 1

Thai's in the north hate Ford/ Mazda, so buy a used Ford /Mazda and get a great deal

A lower price and just as reliable.

Most people here love Toyota.

At the end of the day it depends on how much you want to spend.

Nothing here has a good service record to buy cheap and hope for the best

• Like 1

I have had two 4-door Ford Rangers--the previous one got sold at 245,000 Kms, all but 19 of which I put on the clock--now on my second Ranger and it's going great--the beauty of the Fords is that Thais don't like them as much as Isuzu/Toyota, so their second hand price is reasonable, unlike Toyota/Isuzu.

If you were in Chiang Mai--I would sell you my Ranger since I am buying a saloon--but, I believe that you are 'Down South'.

Despite what others may tell you as a marque there are no 'bad' pickups produced in Thailand. That obviously is not the case when comparing individual vehicles. The use and abuse factor.

Currently at the top of the heap are the Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 as they are an all new design as of about 2-3 years ago. At the moment the others are playing 'catchup.' And for the usage you describe which is essentially passenger transport likely to be the best choice. I think they have the best ride and best cabin space? You don't need 4WD, you don't need the 3.0L. The 2.2L has bags of power and the 6 speed auto box is a dream.

Ultimately at the end of the day it all depends on your budget if you are in the market for something 2-3 years old prefer the Ford or the Mazda. If it has to be older than that then probably Toyota. But as always it depends upon the particular vehicles you are looking at?

go to every dealer ,ask info ,compare info and buy a new pick-up !

Buy not the top class but a basic model not hight up ,not 4x4,2 doors have a bigger loading space.( starts at 450 000 bht for a new pickup )

Dont buy other peoples problem !coffee1.gif

In JULY, we bought a brand new MITSUBISHI Triton Plus four door, automatic, diesel, and the dealer added chrome door handles, tinted windows, twelve month first class insurance, floor mats, and the bed liner. Total cost was 844,000. It runs great and is fun to drive. The best feature is the large in dash DVD screen which allows additional options. Google it and read all about it. Good luck!

from my iPad in Cha-Am

ocean268, I totally agree with you.

I just bought a 2010 Mitsubishi Triton Plus 4-door automatic. The Triton is famous for long-term reliability. As for solid quality,

Toyota is fine, but for long-term reliability Mitsubishi is maybe even better. The Triton's 2.5-liter (4D56) engine is one of the

most proven engines in the world. Has been in production since 1980 and used in many different vehicles over the years.

My 2010 Triton has a 3rd generation 2.5-liter 4D56 with intercooler turbo. It is very smooth and quiet. As with most engines,

good maintenance is important. I plan to enjoy my Triton about 25 years.

Edited by BradinAsia
  • Like 1

I would buy Ford or Mazda. Cheaper to buy, parts cheaper, and better service engine wise. My first Ford 400,000 kms no engine issues. Now on my second Ford 260.000 kms no engine issues.

Yep, if you buy one of these you must think about replacement parts.....whistling.gif

May I add that the Vigo has more room for getting folks feet in the rear doors.

I have 2010 Isuzu D MAX i bought new has been service perfectly and never have had any issues comes with canopy. I paid 980,000 new want to sell for 560,000 has factory gamin gas, Auto, 404 and is very clean. I will be buying new Isuzu z cross as Isuzu is my preferred truck. How be it i don't think there is a bad pickup in thailand.

A guy I know who was in the Japanese spare parts business once told me Isuzu makes the toughest trucks.

Owners have been know to put 3-500,000 kms on them on average before needing an engine overhaul.

They just run and run and if you notice, Isuzu is the number one pick up truck seller in Thailand and probably for a reason. Easy to find spare parts, lots of dealers nationwide and one of the best resale prices.

I think a good pick up truck to haul people is the Isuzu Mu-7. AOT uses it at the airports. Hauls people and stuff in reasonable comfort. Oh and diesel is definitely the way to go.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

11 years i bought a Isuzu TFR 4 door crew cab for 240k baht it was 5 years old already and 146,000kms today its still running perfectly and has 678,000kms ,, compared to more recent ones its crude but absolutely reliable and can be serviced and spares available anywhere in Thailand ,,,I just bought a new ISUZU MUX 3 L ,

gave the son in law the TFR at 16 years old and such a big mileage I was offered 140k by a dealer they sell well in Issan but my son in laws 7 year old Ford ranger blew its engine up recently its not uncommon

No Thai made pickup is a dud , all the makes are good but previous owners maintenance ethos and regular oil changes are very important ,

Toyotas tend to be gas guzzlers , fords can have problems with engines on earlier models , Mitsis are bullet proof , Nissans have poor turning circle ,

It's no coincidence the Taliban use the Toyota Hilux. They are bullet proof (not literally) so to speak. The older models without engine management systems will just keep going. Look on you tube for Top Gear Toyota Hilux to see the punishment one of these things will take.

I would not stay at a hotel that asked me to ride in the back of a pick up.

Check my OP again - we already have an MPV and a sedan car. The pick-up is for those occasions when 4 passengers have a lot of extra luggage (to be put in the back of the pick-up), or where 12 Chinese guests arrive when having booked just for 4 pax, (a common occurrance...)

Simon

Why buy other people's trouble ? The second hand market in Thailand is unbelievable , way overpriced just go to all the dealers tell them what you are chasing i.e just a runabout and get the best deal you can and buy new . At least you have new car warranty for a number of years .

Interested to see ideas recommended but am surprised that no one has mentioned that whatever you settle on should have been owned by an expat and so likely to have been looked after and serviced better.

I would prefer to buy a vehicle from an individual Thai owner.

My 2010 Triton Plus was owned by a Thai lady. When I bought it, she gave me all her service records. She changed oil regularly on schedule and used Castrol

(my favorite oil) which is expensive. At each oil change, her cost for oil alone was more than 2,400 baht. That's twice as much as the same oil in the U.S.

When a Thai (or anyone else) spends a million baht or so for a vehicle they tend to take care of it. IMHO, the folks who neglect their vehicles are most often poor

folk, whatever nationality. They cannot afford a good vehicle or the cost of good maintenance. And these poor folk may be Thais or Filipinos or just poor expats.

Why buy other people's trouble ? The second hand market in Thailand is unbelievable , way overpriced just go to all the dealers tell them what you are chasing i.e just a runabout and get the best deal you can and buy new . At least you have new car warranty for a number of years .

Why?

One simple reason is -- if your maximum budget is 450,000, you cannot buy a 900,000 baht vehicle.

Anything Toyota for sure! Do not do Isuzu. Ford is okay as well. Nissan... never did like them. So go with Toyota!

Why not Isuzu? Currently own a Mu 7, fantastic car. Drove it form Udon to Chiang Mai and back in January. In PNG I have driven loads of Hiluxs and the D Max is a far superior vehicle.

Found the Toyota dealers arrogant and misleading, the deal was changing all the time.

And to the OP. Buy new. You don't save much buying used here and it isn't worth the risk.