Heating stove for chilly hillside chalet?

I'm interested in providing heating for a small home from home we are designing. It was extremely chilly in the area at Christmas, and undoubtedly needs heating.

Done a pretty unsuccessful search for wood stoves on TV.

Are any wood stoves sold here?

Anyone got a simple nice looking design that can be made up?

How about flue pipes and so on?

How about a little external furnace, maybe brick, transferring the heat inside somehow (would keep any black mess isolated).

Any and all suggestions welcome!

ps as for electric oil radiators......is it true the price of electricity is 7baht for unregistered agricultural land (which this is, belonging entirely to my wife.)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Get a 200Lt drum, cut it in half (with an axe), bang the burr flat with the back of the axe, put the half drum on 4 bricks (after you have cut 10-15 holes in the bottom and sides, make sure the drum is under a window, hang a large piece of cloth from the ceiling and afix the cloth to the top of the window, make sure the window is ajar and the outside end of the cloth is lower than the top of the window stretched tight, use charcoal to cut down the smoke, the cloth is to funnel the smoke out of the window.

Now you have the basics! Adjustments are up to you...works fine for me! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

• 5 months later...

And here I am looking forward to Jan/Feb when I can finally turn the aircon off for a few weeks! Maybe we should do a house swap.

We had a couple of very nice cast iron glass-fronted wood stoves back in Europe. They came very well packed on a small pallet from the manufacturer so it might be worth investigating whether you could import one directly. I doubt you will ever get much choice here.

Thankyou Kittenkong and Urloc

I think a full size stove from Europe would be both overkill and very expensive.

There's no doubt direct radiation from a stove is more efficient than a fireplace, but a fireplace is indeed an option, though the chimney might turn it into a bit of an issue I guess it could be a flue pipe or a hollow column up the outside.

I'm also wondering about getting a small wood stove made up, possibly using a gas bottle for the main body, and a Pyrex dish for a window (no I'm not yet sure if it will not explode into bits)

Another possibility is a wall hung gas heater, though I haven't seen any yet and they wouldn't have the same charm they would be very convenient.

Edited by cheeryble

I made a stove out of a gas bottle and the largest size of the Thai charcoal burning stoves.Do you know the ones made out of clay that they use for cooking.The larger they are the more steady they are.

So if you use one of these you already have a clay fire box,grate and ash box.You will need a grate if you want to use charcoal.

So I cut the bottom off of a cooking gas bottle and cut a door out of it and placed it on the clay stove.

Then I replaced the door I cut out of the glass bottle and put a new door on the air vent below the grate.

I had to get a Thai welder to make the chimney pipe out of galvanized steel pipe and then I pot a valve it that to shut of the oxygen.

When I close the two doors and the top damper valve in the chimney pipe it burns for hours and chucks out heat.

Another option is to have a Thai guy put a red brick chimney in and use the charcoal stove as a fireplace.You could block off the air vent in the Thai

stove to save on the charcoal.

10KG bags of charcoal 150bht,you could probably get them cheaper if you bought a pick up truck full

I made a stove out of a gas bottle and the largest size of the Thai charcoal burning stoves.Do you know the ones made out of clay that they use for cooking.The larger they are the more steady they are.

So if you use one of these you already have a clay fire box,grate and ash box.You will need a grate if you want to use charcoal.

So I cut the bottom off of a cooking gas bottle and cut a door out of it and placed it on the clay stove.

Then I replaced the door I cut out of the glass bottle and put a new door on the air vent below the grate.

I had to get a Thai welder to make the chimney pipe out of galvanized steel pipe and then I pot a valve it that to shut of the oxygen.

When I close the two doors and the top damper valve in the chimney pipe it burns for hours and chucks out heat.

Another option is to have a Thai guy put a red brick chimney in and use the charcoal stove as a fireplace.You could block off the air vent in the Thai

stove to save on the charcoal.

10KG bags of charcoal 150bht,you could probably get them cheaper if you bought a pick up truck full

Sorry but I can't do pictures on a computer.

All those stoves have a clay grate and an ash box below it but their is no door on the air vent.

The biggest size has vertical walls all the rest are cone shaped and not as steady.

You could get one of those anyway and use it with either a gas bottle stove or a red brick chimney.

The Thai guys will put the chimney in even in an existing house but they won't go near the gas bottle and will think your nuts.

You will at least have to open it yourself.

There are lots of videos on Youtube showing how to open them.

The gas bottle method is a huge project if you can't do most of it yourself.

You need to decide first if your going to go to all that hassle to save how many bags of charcoal per year.

I had to buy a full length of the galvanized pipe for 4000bht.

That's the same clay stove I used--your next step is to open the valve at the top of the gas bottle.

This is dangerous and most,if not all, Thai guys will be afraid to do it.

I don't know how handy you are and if your going to do it yourself or not.

If you search

how to open a gas bottle stove-- on youtube you will see how to open the top valve.

I also had heat resistant paint and fire cement from Europe.I think exhaust pipe spray paint would do instead and you might get away without fire cement.

Let me know if you want advice and be very careful if you go opening that valve.

Your next steps are 1 open the valve

2 fill the tank up with water and drain it again.

3 then it's save to use power tools

Crossy

Thanks I learned from that site.

One chap had a good idea when you cut the door out only do the sides first.

Then fit the hinges.

Only then cut the top and bottom.

Then the hinges are nicely aligned.

Chiangrai.

Slightly confused.

You say it's the charcoal burner you meant, but then go on to say I've got to take the valve out of the Propane bottle?

Does not compute.

Aren't I using one or the other?

My thinking is generally that the charcoal burner in a fireplace would probably be enough heat in Thailand.

But is a chimney as much or more of an issue as building an iron stove?

I would really like to avoid going through the roof with a chimney. It becomes an instant weak point for leaks.

With a stove I think one might be able to just use a 4m length of box steel welded to angle under the eaves and up again outside the roof. Do they have 4x4 inch?

Then again could one vent the top of the fireplace through the same size of steel? (Seems a bit small)

I'm interested in providing heating for a small home from home we are designing. It was extremely chilly in the area at Christmas, and undoubtedly needs heating.

Done a pretty unsuccessful search for wood stoves on TV.

Are any wood stoves sold here?

Anyone got a simple nice looking design that can be made up?

How about flue pipes and so on?

How about a little external furnace, maybe brick, transferring the heat inside somehow (would keep any black mess isolated).

Any and all suggestions welcome!

ps as for electric oil radiators......is it true the price of electricity is 7baht for unregistered agricultural land (which this is, belonging entirely to my wife.)

For what it's worth I saw a few electric heaters in Makro in January. There are also air coonditioners with a heating function.

What I did was to place the gas cylinder,with the bottom cut oft,on top of the clay stove.

But your right,the gas bottle stove would take years to pay for itself.

When I was researching mine the only help I could get was a Thai metal

worker saying that he would put a chimney in our living room without going through the roof.

He was the guy who comes to your house and puts on the metal frames on the windows to stop people breaking in.

Every neighborhood has one of those guys.