Runaway driver leaves visa runners stranded, swipes more than B37,000

webfact

Runaway driver leaves visa runners stranded, swipes more than B37,000
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2014212114848425_CaNpvSxMViLt
Getting left at the border is low on most passengers' list of worries when they step into a visa run van. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- A ROUTINE visa run to Penang late last month hit a speed bump at the Malaysian border when visa runners returned to the van from the immigration checkpoint to find their driver had absconded.

It had been business as usual for the passengers until they reached the border checkpoint in Sadao on January 20.

“This time was the same as always. We had one driver from Phuket to the border of Malaysia, but we changed drivers once we arrived at Sadao,” explained Klaus Klaeden, 47.

After crossing the Thai-Malay border, the KBV passengers left the van and walked through the Malaysian immigration building so officers could check and stamp their passports, Mr Klaeden said.

“When we exited the building, we found our van waiting with the engine still running,” he said.

“The driver wasn’t there, so we assumed he was in the restroom. It was early, about 6am, so after a few minutes everyone fell asleep."

One of the passengers woke about 30 minutes later to find the driver still missing and the van still running. He woke the other passengers, including Mr Klaeden, and the group began to search for the driver.

After scouring the grounds and questioning border police, the visa runners concluded that their driver had gone and taken all of the money collected for the trip.

Mr Klaeden estimates that about 37,000 baht was stolen and four travel hours were wasted during the ordeal.

The passengers contacted KBV and the company sent a new Malaysian driver to pick them up and take them to their hotel. They arrived in Penang at 12:30pm rather than the standard 8:30am, but still made it to immigration in time to file their visa applications, ensuring no further delays.

The owner of the KBV visa run company said the driver was later arrested by the Malaysian Police and that the stolen money was returned. However, she declined to name the driver or the company he worked for.

Despite the rare circumstances surrounding this visa run, the owner said she believes the company accomplished its overall mission by completing the visa run on time for its customers.

When asked his initial reaction to the situation, Mr Klaeden said, “I was laughing. I could not believe that this was happening. This was my fourth trip with KBV and all of them have gone well.”

The owner said she understands how important these trips are for foreigners staying in Thailand.

“I would like to apologize to our valued customers for any inconvenience caused by this trip. This is the first time ever that we have encountered such a situation.”

Additional reporting by Saran Mitrarat

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Runaway-driver-leaves-visa-runners-stranded-swipes-more-than-B37-000-24578.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-02-12

Not even a 500b fine?

Oh right, he didn't stab a 70 yr old Westerner.

Didn't know they use the Baht in Malaysia, thanks for the info.

I think the visa run company did a good job to sort things out quickly.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

The really controversial bit is that they were helped after closing.

Consulate closes for lunch at 12h00. Our driver (along with 5 others) were "detained" for over an hour in December (just past the toll booth - did not have permits to drive in Malaysia). We got to the embassy with 15 mins to spare. The guy at the embassy SHOUTED at me (along with others). Saying how unprepared we were, wasting his time etc. etc. I indicated that the drivers were stopped by the police - he shouted back saying not his problem, I am wasting his time etc.

Don't believe that these guys got to waltz in at 12.30 with the old "sorry mate - you will not believe what happened at the border" routine.

I do not doubt they got their visas, but interesting to know if the deal was sweetened. wink.png

edit: [sorry Consulate not Embassy]

Edited by Blindside

Good to hear that everything seems to have worked out ok. Can't believe the driver did a runner, and not very well, for just 37K. It must only be a few months' salary.

It was probably something else , maybe he was chased by people he owed a lot of money to and had to make a run.

Phuket visa run firm owner denies driver theft story

Wiparatana Nathalang

PHUKET: -- The owner of KBV Visa Run company has denied a news report that one of its drivers was arrested by Malaysian police after stealing B37,000 from foreigners in his minibus and then leaving them stranded.

The story alleged that while the foreigners were crossing into Malaysia and back again to get fresh visas, the driver disappeared, taking with him all the fares received from the foreigners. It added that he was later arrested by Malaysian police.

However, the owner of KBV, Nana Adithepwarangkul, told The Phuket News “Our driver had to leave [suddenly] after hearing there was a sickness in the family.

“He took with him the B37,000, which was the company’s money. He didn’t steal money from anyone. He has already come back and talked with us. This is a personal matter.

“He was not arrested by the Malaysian Police. The customers had to wait because we had to send another minibus to pick them up. That minibus had to come from Haad Yai.”

She denied making some of the comments attributed to her in the news story. “They interviewed me [but] I never told them that my driver was arrested. The money was not stolen; it was company money.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-visa-run-firm-owner-denies-driver-theft-story-44586.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-02-13

You will never know what really happened to the driver but I would say that they owed him money and he said screw off and walked with his paycheck. Story about being arrested I not believe but you never know.....

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Good point. The follow up story lends credo to this very thought.

Who owes who - who is afraid of who - who's gonna get back at who - who is going to be the scapegoat - who will suffer - etc.etc.

Foreigners get caught up in the middle of Thai games and politics all the time. This is one good example of it, as well as how low foreigners fall in the estimate of these mental giants and their priorities and value system.

Ya never know! Ya simply never know!

The first story is much more believable than the second story for sure however as a person who manages many staff on a daily basis i constantly hear this excuse about absenteeism - " I had personal business" but never the actual reason given.

But lets look at the facts here - Bus pulls up at Thai / Malay border - while waiting for the Visa Runners to go through immigration the driver receives an urgent person business call. Leaves bus running and disappears. The owner of KBV should be ashamed of the second story and for insulting peoples intelligence.