Fun changing brake master piston

paz

Since I bought my Click, at totally random times, the front brake lever would go all the way to the handle but pumping a second time makes it work normally again.

Tonight I decided that was the right day to take care of it, and so I started looking the piston kit on the Honda parts website. Looked a bargain at Bt 138, so I wrote down P/N and description in Thai, and went to the shops that appears to be stocking the most parts in Pattaya.

At the first one a lazy fat woman shooks her head, at the second the guy appears to be understand and goes in the back looking for it. These are the shops on 3rd road, on the left side going from central to south Rd.

He comes back with on original Honda part bearing a different P/N but it also says Scoopy and all these thingies are all the same. Price with labor is just Bt 200, he's the owner and gets started immediately.

I ask him to replace the brake fuild as well, but my suggestion that it would be better to first remove the fluid from the bleed valve to have the pump empty or almost when removing the piston, goes unheard. With the help of pointy spoke piston and fluid are removed at which point he happily proceed to flush the circuit with a bottle of water!

I jump and in the nicest tone ask him to not do that. Unconvinced he puts the water away. We blew the parts dry and the piston goes in place, then the most fun begins.

My suggestion to keep the bleeding valve open to help fluid fill the line produces a strange look, so he does it his way and stands therese pumping for a long time.

His wife stars bickering about me doing his job, to which I react with the widest smiles.

I sit and watch him do, after a while he becomes convinced that the top banjo bolt must be bleed, so off goes the handle cover, and he fiddles with it for quite a long while while I look patiently.

Fortunately he and wife decide that is dinner time and off they go at which point I take over. The pump had not bleed yet, certainly it didn't help that he fitted a spoke instead of the lever bolt, that prevented the piston from fully travelling. I place the bolt back, look at air coming to the fluid to recognise the movement range and speed that produces most bubbles.

The other boys look at me and giggle. It only took me 2 or 3 minutes to bleed the pump, at which point could I bleed the caliper.

To use a clear tube to prevent spilling oil all around is out of question so I adapted to the local custome. The circuit is quickly working and the boys giggle more.

I sit back while one of them puts thing back together, and I get engine and transmission oils changed for Bt 230.

As I arrive home I realize that the pump cover screwes are loose smile.png

Edited by paz