FinCEN form 105

WalterTP

Has anyone submitted a US customs form 105 to report currency in excess of $10,000, and if so what was your experience?

I'm not looking to break any laws, I just don't want to raise any red flags. Trying to deal with these govt. agencies when you live on the other side of the world is a hassle I can do without.

I also wonder if any gold bars (1 baht, 2 baht) would count toward that $10,000 figure.

Any feedback from personal experience would be appreciated.

• Sad 1

This should help towards your questions. Seems gold counts towards the $10k limit.

From what I've read in the past, it has nothing to do with taxation. They just want to know if you have substantial amounts of monetary instruments. Primarily aimed at money laundering.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/list/search/1/kw/FinCen%20105%20Form/suggested/1

If you get caught with more than 10k and didn't declare it, you're in pretty big trouble. Not worth the risk, IMHO.

C-105 or previously called #4790 form should always be filled (inbound or outbound of US) if you are traveling with monetary value over $10,000, and

yes the gold is considered a monetary instrument. (personal checks is not considered declaration even if you have over $10K in your account, I asked them this question)

if on a outbound voyage, you'll need to present yourself and monetary instrument to a US customs border agent at either the Intl.airport or seaport (Iam assuming you are traveling by air and not sea) for their exit signature and stamp. The hassle about this is, you'll need to find the Customs office at the airport and walk there prior to departure so give yourself enough time perhaps 20-30 minutes extra. (or ask your airlines departing ticket agent to call US customs if they can meet you at your departing gate to sign off on the form C105-rather than walking there) In Portland Oregon, the agent meets you at the gate, for Seattle, LA, HNL, you have to go in person to the customs office through my experience.

Beware, I have seen surprise visits by US customs agents inspecting departure passengers at the gates for monetary documentations.

On inbound, if you have more than $10K, first declare it on the entry form#6059B and ask the immigration officer to direct you to the nearest

customs official who may have the c105 form to sign off.