Whats the best way to do a Divorce?

barsteward

Can anyone tell me how can I get a fast divorce from my Thai wife? We don’t have any children and I guess the she keeps the house I bought in her name. I want to sell it and get some cash from her for it, but she may not want to sell the house and she does not work and has no money.

• 3 weeks later...

Two years back, I was ready to "Split The Sheet" and Siam Legal wanted 14,900 THB for uncontested and I did not want the house and car. Just walk away. Well, we are still together.

It will cost more to settle the house. If you have all the documents needed you should get half. I had a friend who owned 25 RAI and house in Buriram and the Court made his wife pay up half, actually her new boy friend paid it.

With marriage it is not the initial investment, it is the maintenance and up-keep !!

Welcome to LOS !!

• Like 2

There are three scenarios possible:

1) If she is willing to be divorced from you and you are both in Thailand we can get you divorced in three (3) business days. We will prepare the divorce agreement settling all issues between the two of you and have you both sign it.

We will use professional Thai mediators to convince her to sell the house and share the money with you if you want us to do this. Under Thai law you are entitled to half of the marital assets. We have helped dozens of ThaiVisa members get property or money back in divorce cases.

See http://divorcethai.com/.

Once the agreement is signed by both of you, we will record it with the Thai government and have a Divorce Certificate issued with both your names on it. The Divorce Certificate is similar to the Marriage Certificate you received when you registered the marriage. You each get a certificate and it proves you are now single.

Then, if you want, we will also help you notify your country of citizenship that you are a single man. We have helped more than 300 foreigners divorce Thais successfully.

2) If she is not in Thailand, but willing to divorce we can get you divorced and also negotiate a settlement on the assets in her name that you bought to get money for you.

3) If she is NOT willing to divorce you, then we can get you divorced in about 6 months provided you have grounds for divorce.

Wrong - it proves you are divorced. You could get married again - trust me we are going through this right now - we have to get a certificate saying as such i.e single and able to be married again.

• Like 1

If you both agree to divorce - the quickest way is to go to any Amphur office together and register your divorce. You need the original marraige certificates - or official duplicates if originals are missing + both ID's (her ID card + your passport - originals + copies)). The application forms are in Thai of course - so she will need to fill them out. You also need to complete another form - in Thai - that confirms there are no dependant children involved and what the financial settlement is between you both. Don't go unless you are both sure about what you agree together. If you can't read and write Thai - take someone you trust with you who can - to make sure you agree whatever is written. You need 2 witnesses anyway - as generally you may not use official staff as witnesses. If you have a separate legal agreement about the financial settlement - you can use that - but you still have to fill out the necessary form anyway. The whole process should take less than 1 hour - but maybe longer if they are very busy. I am writing from experience - not just hearsay.

If she does not agree to divorce - you have to do it through the court - and you will need a lawyer to advise on the quickest and easiest option - as there are several grounds for divorce with different conditions.

• Like 2

1) If she is willing to be divorced from you and you are both in Thailand we can get you divorced in three (3) business days. We will prepare the divorce agreement settling all issues between the two of you and have you both sign it.

We will use professional Thai mediators to convince her to sell the house and share the money with you if you want us to do this. Under Thai law you are entitled to half of the marital assets. We have helped dozens of ThaiVisa members get property or money back in divorce cases.

Once the agreement is signed by both of you, we will record it with the Thai government and have a Divorce Certificate issued with both your names on it. The Divorce Certificate is similar to the Marriage Certificate you received when you registered the marriage. You each get a certificate and it proves you are now single.

Then, if you want, we will also help you notify your country of citizenship that you are a single man. We have helped more than 300 foreigners divorce Thais successfully.

2) If she is not in Thailand, but willing to divorce we can get you divorced and also negotiate a settlement on the assets in her name that you bought to get money for you.

3) If she is NOT willing to divorce you, then we can get you divorced in about 6 months provided you have grounds for divorce.

First up.... I'm happy to say, I don't require your services and trust that I never do. However the OP and (other "sticky beaks" like me) may be interested in your Scale of Charges for the above services....just "Ball Park Figures" would be fine.

Cheers.

Cheapest way, buy a ticket and go home say Sweet F,A

• Like 1

I am working on getting divorced we have split things and both agree to it.

The hold up have been I need a translated copy of my passport picture page where the copy have been authorized by my embassy and the translation stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I have the documents in order now and on Monday we will both show up at the Amphur office and I expect it to be done within an hour based on what I have read here.

We have tried twice before to get divorced but they insisted on the legalized translation of my passport page so it took a trip to BKK for me :s

• Like 2

The hold up have been I need a translated copy of my passport picture page where the copy have been authorized by my embassy and the translation stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I have the documents in order now and on Monday we will both show up at the Amphur office and I expect it to be done within an hour based on what I have read here.

We have tried twice before to get divorced but they insisted on the legalized translation of my passport page so it took a trip to BKK for me :s

You could have tried at another amphur.

First up.... I'm happy to say, I don't require your services and trust that I never do. However the OP and (other "sticky beaks" like me) may be interested in your Scale of Charges for the above services....just "Ball Park Figures" would be fine.

Cheers.

It's a fair question to ask the fee schedule. At One Stop Service Center Co Ltd Legal Division we charge 40,000 baht for a divorce provided one person is Thai and both agree to divorce and are in Thailand. This fee includes a Thai lawyer writing any agreements required, i.e. Division if Assets, Child Custody/Visitation or Spousal Support, if required.

As long as one person is a Thai if there is no agreement to divorce and settle all outstanding issues then the fee is at least 100,000 baht but not more than 200,000 baht and includes the above agreement, mediation and filing and litigating the divorce in court if required.

We have mediated and negotiated more than200 divorces with a Thai wife and foreigner husband.

Consultation is free for 15 minutes and a fee can be quoted after the facts are clear.

We have another service whereby "after the love is gone" we get houses, land, businesses, bars and other assets paid for by foreigners but in the name of a Thai.

We charge a small base fee and get 20% of what we collect.

Thank you for your enquiry. When you need us we are on Pattaya Thepprasit Road near Sukhumvit Road in Keha Tower 1 Ground Floor. Email Drew@PattayaLawyers or call 0841117999.

• Like 1

The sad part of an legal officer breaking a Marriage i wish this not to happen to any body ,compromise is the best way to avoid the Divorce forget and be Happy adjustment is the best way i think it is only an view .

my wish all the members of Thai Visa never face such a thing

Be Happy

You could have tried at another amphur.

Could have, should have but what if it were the same result?

The official guidelines are a legalized copy of your passport photo page so why mess around with it.

Expected more from a mod.

Cheers.

Yes I have a property dispute. Please what do you charge?

Two years back, I was ready to "Split The Sheet" and Siam Legal wanted 14,900 THB for uncontested and I did not want the house and car. Just walk away. Well, we are still together.

It will cost more to settle the house. If you have all the documents needed you should get half. I had a friend who owned 25 RAI and house in Buriram and the Court made his wife pay up half, actually her new boy friend paid it.

With marriage it is not the initial investment, it is the maintenance and up-keep !!

Welcome to LOS !!

Interesting. I have NEVER come across a case of a falang being awarded half of the proceeds of a house sale following a divorce. If you have any more details of the Buriram case, I am sure lots of guys out there who have sunk a big chunk of their savings into the family home would appreciate hearing them. I would for one, as I was under the impression that the documents one is obliged to sign at the Land Registry effectively sign away any claim to ownership.

Presumably, the new boyfriend who paid the falang his share of the house and land was also a falang?!!

I'm a very kind and indulgent husband , but give them an inch and they'll take a mile .

I sometimes have to be more than usually assertive , which isn't always taken kindly .

Sometimes my wife tells me to get out , go back to my country . I go straight to the storeroom .

She calls out where are you going , I reply , the storeroom to get all my boxes .

She calls again , come back here darling and is as sweet as sugar .

Sometimes I'm angry and drive off in the car to a nearby resort with swimming pool .

After swimming I stay on , have drink and chat with my friend the owner , have supper .

Mid evening I get a call , ever so sweet to ask if I'm coming home or staying the night .

For the most part we get on very well , I don't think we'll divorce ,

but it's nice to read advice on how to do it , if the occasion arises .

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 2

Next time, just skip all the officiating and throw a big wedding reception taking pictures and telling everyone you are married; divorce then, becomes redundant. Perhaps the best part of this faux marriage is that you stand little chance of getting anything from property bought in her name. Hopefully, this realization will stop you from another mistake; buying anything you cannot get in your own name.

I am a lawyer, as all of you might know by now, and the absolutely the easiest, quickest way if you both are in Thailand and agree to the divorce you merely both goo to the Amphur where you were married out of and bring your legalized copy of our passport photo page and fill-out some forms which the staff will tell you where to put your info and sign and your done. Oh, and bring your original marriage certificates, or get certified copies of such. In my own case, I called a "sheriff" of the county (one of the benefits of working for Mr. Chalerm and Ms. Yingluck :) ] and he found my now ex-wife's 13 digit ID # which I needed for court as she stayed back in America overstaying the Tourist Visa I obtained for her in 2009 and continues to live and work illegally somewhere in the U.S.

If you know your wife's Tabien address, but she no longer lives there (such was the case in my example), you certainly DO NOT NEED AN ATTORNEY to settle this in court as she will never get the court summons, therefore never showing up in court, and you win by default. Just bring a good Thai friend who can help you fill-out all the necessary paperwork. In my case it was my new Thai gf who handled that and I co-own a crapload of her assets through my corporation and no need to re-marry :)...

The legal fees I saw referenced on here are HIGHWAY ROBBERY and these lawyers should be ashamed. When I owned my law firm pre-2009, my fees were barely 40% of what I saw quoted.

PRG

• Like 2