PDRC willing to end protest if govt quits in place of interim 'reform' administration

Lite Beer

Point 1 is not a "reform", but a general goal with no specific reform attached.

Point 2 is not a "reform", but a general goal with no specific reform attached.

Point 3 is specific on the issue of provincial governors, which is at least something.

Point 4 is semi-specific, with regards to police being commanded by provincial governors.

Point 5 is non-specific.

Point 6 is extremely non-specific, to say the least.

In short, we have two rather hum-dum administrative reforms that are actually specified, and it is highly unclear why their implementation is so urgent as to require the suspension of democratic rule.

• Like 2

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to be kidding. The corrupt and thug non-democrat Suthep actually expects the government to step down for him and his henchmen.

Suthep should try and come up with some real policies that can appeal to an electorate and then fight a democratic election. So far he has nothing except his 'get rid of the Shinawatras and let me and my oligarchy friends run the country and keep the rural Thai people in place'. His wagon is empty! 555+

Come on man, let's see some real policies.

• Like 2

You obviously have no appreciation of Thai politics.

The protests in Bangkok are manipulated by the middle class business clique.

I this case it's Suthep but last time it was Sondhi.

If we were in the UK I could say more but my advice for all farangs is do not get involved with Thai politics.

It's like talking about who did what and who is wrong in a Belfast pub on a Saturday night.

Edited by Jay Sata

What does this Suthep idiot believe that the elected PM Yingluck also elected by the majority of her elected party members to lead the party and the country, who did not step down when Suthep claimed to have 6 million turn out for his rally now that he has a few thousand, exspects her to step down, don't hold you breath fat man!

cheers

Yingluck doesn't need to step down. She's going to get axed by the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Don't back down now... you got them on the ropes... keep the pressure up and soon Yingluck and her henchmen will be either locked up or in exile!!!

They are not giving up. Just giving them a chance to negotiate their surrender.

Another chance to surrender again, again, and again. Maybe if Suthep said "pretty please with a cherry on top?" But why would a publically elected government "surrender?" And why would Thai people allow an unelected Suthep controlled committee take over the government and kiss elections goodbye for at least 1-2 years during which the majority become disenfrachised from voting?

• Like 1

Don't back down now... you got them on the ropes... keep the pressure up and soon Yingluck and her henchmen will be either locked up or in exile!!!

I don't see this as backing down, but I do agree with all of your remaining points.

It is very clear that they are on the ropes, and they are now being offered one last chance to cut and run ... and cut and run they would certainly need to do, because there is no way they can stick around if they do step down.

Once the auditors have been in and discovered the real damage to this economy, they would likely be facing twenty-year sentences for corruption, theft, misappropriation of public funds, false accounting, embezzlement, theft, or whatever else you want to call it.

If they decide to go down the 'crackdown' route that seems to be in the air at the moment, then I believe that all is lost for them. Any attempt by the police to engage the demonstrators will see their ranks split, some of them running away, others taking the law into their own hands and opening fire.

The backlash from the more extreme factions of the anti-government demonstrators would bring back memories of 2010, only this time it would be the police that would be taking most of the flak, and the government would have to take full responsibility for that as a result of deploying them in the first place.

Taking measures to address an issue doesn't mean the issue is solved instantly; for example if by some miracle this "People's Council" manages to make reform laws so that corrupt politicians are severely punished that would be a measure to end corruption, it doens't mean there won't be another corrupt politician ever again.

You are simply fishing for the most unreasonable interpretations in order to discredit the premise, or do you go into paroxisms every time you hear about a government or organization taking measures to stop this or that?

In other words, he is deceiving people and nothing will change.

He has been in charge for 32 months and took absolutely no measures. What makes you think that he will do anything in 18.

Thanks for clarifying that.

What you are saying is that he is deceiving the people when he says he want to start a campaign to stop corruption because it is an unrealistic goal?

Edited by AleG

WOW the reds really have gone all out lately in their propaganda drive, we have at least 4 new red sheeple broken records who started bleating the same crap repeatedly in every topic every day ! The utter nonsense from the lot of them is incredible. Can't wait for PT to be dissolved, then they might pipe down a little bit.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

WOW the reds really have gone all out lately in their propaganda drive, we have at least 4 new red sheeple broken records who started bleating the same crap repeatedly in every topic every day ! The utter nonsense from the lot of them is incredible. Can't wait for PT to be dissolved, then they might pipe down a little bit.cheesy.gif

On the contrary, that's when the going is really going to get good.

What "national reform", Mr. Suthep?

In all these months, you have NEVER detailed what those reforms would be.

How about a referendum first to ask the Thai people if they even want these unknown reforms?

You could equally ask "where is Yinglucks 499 member reform committee "

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The title of this thread is "PDRC willing to quit protest......."

If I were the govt, I would not bother to waste any time or effort to negotiate with PDRC. The protests are slowly but surely running out of steam. It was fun and a novelty for the majority of Bangkokians at the start. Street parties, free food and drinks, free concerts (though the price for these is having to endure a couple of hours of lunatic ranting and raving on the stages).

However, most people have better things to do with their time than to sit out on the streets night after night. I would estimate the crowds in Asoke to be less than 10% compared to the early days.

Let the protests continue. It is not shutting Bangkok down, a long way from it. Traffic inconvenience is all they have managed to achieve but then, this is part of daily life in Bangkok. The protests have run their course and it is now a slow death by a thousand cuts for all the backers.

P/s: some posters only know how to respond by insults, profanities and calling names. I hope you will refrain from replying to my post. I will only respond to those who make valid points to counter what is in any case, only my opinion.

The protests declining are one thing. The farmers probably raise more alarm bells now, as does the impending corruption charges. The caretakers have to do something, Waiting on the dwindling protesters won't address the other two. Hence the moves to mobilize the riot police and clear the protesters, and announce that farmers will get paid next week. Cousin caretaker FM's appeal for foreign support is likely hoping to get backing so they can scream corruption charges are all really political.

Smoke and mirrors, but a regime running out of time. This offers a face saving way out. I suspect many in PTP would want to take this but one rather important thinker may not as it does not meet his agenda,

There are much bigger fires for PT to fight now than the protests. The protestors have had their say, they have not succeeded in forcing YL to resign or forcing PT out of parliament. I have said from the beginning that it is a dead end street, they would never achieve their demands as it's just not feasible or practical.

Chalerm has been used as a red herring / lightning rod to draw attention away from what is really happening behind the scenes and I have to say that in that respect, he has been fairly successful.

You obviously have no appreciation of Thai politics.

The protests in Bangkok are manipulated by the middle class business clique.

I this case it's Suthep but last time it was Sondhi.

If we were in the UK I could say more but my advice for all farangs is do not get involved with Thai politics.

It's like talking about who did what and who is wrong in a Belfast pub on a Saturday night.

You need to ask yourself, who is really behind Suthep, who is really pulling the strings? It is not the Bangkok middle class.

• Like 1

So nothing has changed. One group of crooked politicians wants another group of crooked politicians to resign so they

can have there turn at the golden feeding trough. coffee1.gif

Nope, that is propaganda spread by the caretakers to their brainwashed supporters who sadly believe it.

They are spreading propaganda by calling themselves crooked? Ok.

Suthep can't even fill Silom at night anymore. No wonder he wants to make a deal now.

https://2-ps.googleusercontent.com/sx/www.thaivisa.com/pbs.twimg.com/media/xBgXJuEHCMAEBP6V.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9qVh_MfYHx.jpga

Was at Silom tonight it was full from the stage back passed the MRT steps.. No picture cos i couldn't be arsed!

It is a lot of effort.

• Like 1

"It is Suthep who said that he will get rid of corruption in Thailand within 18 months - NOT ME."

Hmmm, no, I'm pretty sure it's you saying that, can you cite Suthep saying that he will get rid of corruption in 18 months?

Talking about putting your words in other people's mouths: "So basically, you agree with me that his plan is nothing but a farce. Thank you. Finally."

If I'd agree on something with you I'd tell you, until then don't hi-five yourself like that, it's unbecoming.

Well, his reforms plan says: "Point 2: Effective measures to end corruption".

And he also says that elections will be held in 18 months, once reforms have been completed.

Remember the posters hanging at every protest site "reforms before elections".

Again, his words, not mine.

Taking measures to address an issue doesn't mean the issue is solved instantly; for example if by some miracle this "People's Council" manages to make reform laws so that corrupt politicians are severely punished that would be a measure to end corruption, it doens't mean there won't be another corrupt politician ever again.

You are simply fishing for the most unreasonable interpretations in order to discredit the premise, or do you go into paroxisms every time you hear about a government or organization taking measures to stop this or that?

In other words, he is deceiving people and nothing will change.

He has been in charge for 32 months and took absolutely no measures. What makes you think that he will do anything in 18.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Suthep wasn't in charge he was deputy PM.

And in that 32 months the Democrats did indeed bring in some reforms,

They amended the 30 baht medical scheme so it was free, They raised the age of compulsary free education to M3 (15 years old from P6 11 years old)

They attempted to reform land taxes so that yearly taxes would be applicable on land and property, Rejected by the then opposition.

And for 13 months of that time they were also dealing with the RED shirts.

• Like 2

Suthep can't even fill Silom at night anymore. No wonder he wants to make a deal now.

https://2-ps.googleusercontent.com/sx/www.thaivisa.com/pbs.twimg.com/media/xBgXJuEHCMAEBP6V.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9qVh_MfYHx.jpga

Was at Silom tonight it was full from the stage back passed the MRT steps.. No picture cos i couldn't be arsed!

It is a lot of effort.

it is when you have a hungry wife that also wants to do MORE shopping!

• Like 1

It is a lot of effort.

it is when you have a hungry wife that also wants to do MORE shopping!

I see. So your wife considers shopping more important than lending her voice to the protests. And you meekly follow along. Such an alter ego to your forum personality.

• Like 1

My (Thai) other half knows that impeding me is even more dangerous.......

Different courses for different folks, I guess.

Perhaps you could consider a relationship more a partnership of equals than master/slave.

Nah, tried that before, didn't work. Master/slave relationships work better. After all, we don't want to give those rice farmers and their daughters a voice do we? Same same to what you and co. wants for Thailand with the Bkk elites ruling over the great unwashed :)