The expat pissing contest

eeeya

So im at the pub, having my nightly 2 pints before i meet up with the wife. Phone on full charge, head long into some who know what trivial internet bull sh!t to entertain me.

Along comes another expat up for a chat. phone goes down and chat commences. ive been here before and im playing the game "what do you do and how much do you earn"

Have all expats got a chip on their shoulder?

I usually the ask the standards, "Where are you from?" and "Have you been here before?". If they haven't been here before, I try to give them honest and helpful advice. I generally don't care about their job situation because the job does not make the person.

I really can't stand these guys whose lives revolve around their checkbook and how much everything costs and how much they make. Where do you live? How much? How big? Does the laundry downstairs give a discount if you don't make them fold your clothing? How much does the moto-cy cost you? How much did the fried rice guy charge you? How much did your last visa run cost?

I usually the ask the standards, "Where are you from?" and "Have you been here before?". If they haven't been here before, I try to give them honest and helpful advice. I generally don't care about their job situation because the job does not make the person.

Hate the "where you from " question

1. Whats the difference? we are speaking same language

2. Can you not differentiate the accents?

3. Now you have learned other person from another country, what then?

4. Person happens to be from the same country, then what? you become brothers?

What makes you think people want advice? and what makes you think you are qualified to give advice?

Nothing wrong with asking someone where they are from if you're having a chat - jeez!

I wouldn't care to ask how much someone makes but depending on where I was I may ask them what they do. It's a conversation, isn't it

If people find it intrusive, they can always lie.

Given the choice between telling people I'm on the run from Interpol or spinning some yarn, I normally trump up some innocuous invention

Interpol? That's pish, that is, Ah'm ontherunfae the KayJeeBeee.

Whit? Finished? Goan? Ah've wasted ten year hidin' in the Madrasa for nowt? Ah'm awa'fira bevvy tae droon ma sorros...

• Like 2

Hate the "where you from " question

1. Whats the difference? we are speaking same language

2. Can you not differentiate the accents?

3. Now you have learned other person from another country, what then?

4. Person happens to be from the same country, then what? you become brothers?

What makes you think people want advice? and what makes you think you are qualified to give advice?

This is when I pay my bill and leave.

I really can't stand these guys whose lives revolve around their checkbook and how much everything costs and how much they make. Where do you live? How much? How big? Does the laundry downstairs give a discount if you don't make them fold your clothing? How much does the moto-cy cost you? How much did the fried rice guy charge you? How much did your last visa run cost?

People who object so much to discussing cost are either of 2 categories 1) On the poor side with no hope of buying anything besides the neccessities

2) An excess of income to the point discussing $$$ is boring. Which are you??

Where are you from and what do you do for a crust are perfectly acceptable questions. On the rare occasion people ask my how much do i earn i usually say you first; give a small chuckle and say "I pay more than that in tax mate". That usually ends the conversation.