Surapong seeks world backing

webfact

Surapong seeks world backing
The Nation

30226837-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul yesterday urged the world community to condemn the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) for blocking the February 2 election.

Speaking before foreign diplomats from 50 countries, including 31 ambassadors, and four international organisations at the Foreign Ministry, Surapong urged democratic countries to support Thailand's democracy and condemn those who violate the rule of law.

Surapong has asked for security officers to handle the protesters as the ministry's officials have been told to come to work normally from Monday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-14

• Like 1

Yeah they do and if they become involved, they will be watching as well. PTP wants to hold onto government so be it. BUT now they will br doing some serious answering. If so let's see what happens. One thing is certain though, the protestors lack of hygiene and the breakout now of H1N1 influenza amongst protestors may not be so good for the Bangkok populace. Then again could also curtail more From joining a pointless and illegal blockade of the city.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Cricketnut

According to this lot they already had the backing of the world democracies as per their bull crap for the last few months, so why seek it now.

Is asking for support and back up the same thing? For me, if there is a judicial or m/coup we can bet our bottomed out baht the world won't be happy with Suthep. Announce your reforms you goose, you have had enough time.... But looks like you don't have any. Why not go back to the farm and tap some rubber.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

According to this lot they already had the backing of the world democracies as per their bull crap for the last few months, so why seek it now.

I think you will find most countries have said the support and will continue who ever is in government. Foreign governments don't take sides and don't care who is driving the bus.

I think you will find most countries have said the support and will continue who ever is in government. Foreign governments don't take sides and don't care who is driving the bus.

America does

http://www.krysstal.com/democracy_whyusa01.html

• Like 1

Wow this is serious. Thais actually asking for outside help so just when did they discover there was a world outside the national borders ?

The government side is asking for foreign nation support because it is their best move. It would be difficult for so-called democratic nations like the US and UK to support a rogue leader like Suthep and his "people's council"designated by 185 inside establishment folks. So Surapong is seeking to leverage that assumption.

• Like 1

Maybe he can explain first to the world outside how he and his merry little PTP thieves raped Thailand and its farmers for everything they've got.

Thailand was plundered long before Thaksin and the PTP - way long ago - read Chris Baker's Jungle Book taken from his The Nation articles that were published.

• Like 2

Embarrassing.

Sadness that they can't sweep up their own yard. More sadness that they don't try learning to sweep up their own yard. Plain humiliation that they ask other people to do it for them.

Worst part is that most normal blue-collar and working-class Thais are not the inept bumbling oafs that the political class are. So when the political class go and display their ineptness on the world stage, it is insulting and humiliating to the millions of hard-working normal Thais who don't need help tying their own shoelaces. Very sad.

• Like 2

Interesting that on another article the pro "1 principle of democracy" supporters downplay the protests and in fact measure the strength of the PDRC by stating that there are only 100 old ladies left on the streets.

Well unless those old ladies are a force to be reckoned with this only highlights further that success or strength is not measured in numbers now. The PDRC have made their point. They have had the numbers on the street during construction mode. They are in operational mode now. They don't need the number.

Now unless Surpong has a fear of old ladies I would suggest that he doesn't count the numbers as a litmus test of strength either or he would not be asking for international support.

Of course it gives the "1 principle" supporters a false sense that the "15 principle" supporters are failing. Well if that is the case then you better convince Surapong because he doesn't believe you.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

I think if Mr Surapong told the world the whole truth instead of sugar coating the pill , the world would be unimpressed with the performance of Mr Surapong's administration and understand fully why there are protesters on the streets, would Mr Surapong like to tell the world the failures of PTP projects, the circumventing of protocol to raise 2.3 tn loan , of the lead up to these protests, the back ground history of the founder of the PTP Thaskin Shinawatra , ending with the Amnesty Bill and the plight of the farmers scam , tell the world ,Mr Surapong the truth nothing but the truth, from year 2001 to now, otherwise sir ,shut up.bah.gif

The world already knows all about Thailand's dirty laundry, a side-effect of the political class here washing said dirty laundry in public for decades.

The problem is that the world thinks Thai political leaders should shape-up and get on with the laundry without making such a big fuss over every single soiled garment. Going begging to the world is only a source of shame for a great and noble nation with such huge assets and potential that are only impeded by Herculean mismanagement.

Treat foreigners (particularly) farangs with disdain and disregard until they need help. How disgusting of them.

Two faced, the lot of em.

I think the Burmese and the Cambodians would have something to say about that. But you go ahead and continue with your pity party.

• Like 1

Wow this is serious. Thais actually asking for outside help so just when did they discover there was a world outside the national borders ?

Getting the blessings of the 'outside World' will not affect the protesters one iota. The Yingluck government wants to do a bad thing to the protesters and if the 'outside World' has sided with the Yingluck government, the 'outside World' cannot complain that the Thai government did a bad thing to the protesters. They are wanting to cover their ass for what they are wanting to do.

• Like 2

Foreign democratic governments generally won't call for the overthrow of an elected government on principle, even if they think its hopelessly corrupt.

That doesn't mean they support it though.

Maybe he can explain first to the world outside how he and his merry little PTP thieves raped Thailand and its farmers for everything they've got.

Yes, and at the same meeting, perhaps the leader of the Democrat Party, Mr. Abhisit, could explain why he ordered troops to open fire on crowds of civilians when he was PM. Now, that would be an interesting exchange of ideas.