Free At Last, Free At Last

Galong

Also, he's not smart enough to do anything with my competitors that might affect our company.

...but he may be smart enough to light a petrol bomb and hurl it through the front door of your business.

Thai's who lose face can go to extremes to regain face. I hope that he is not too bitter at losing his income source.

Im a little confused, how does setting your mother on fire regain face?

Maybe I dont understand face, but to me regaining face would be to do something to make people respect you more. The losing of face being the loss of respect?

I think the word face as I see it used in Thailand is simply a nice way of saying "revenge".

That being said why dont people just call it what it is, revenge?

And how does one REGAIN FACE? will the people at the office respect him more after he has burned them? Will they now bow to him and show him respect because he burned his mother?

Im confused because FACE seems based on what OTHERS think of you but the regaining or maintaining of it seems based on what the one who has lost it thinks.

Do Thais respect someone for "REGAINING FACE"?

Also, he's not smart enough to do anything with my competitors that might affect our company.

...but he may be smart enough to light a petrol bomb and hurl it through the front door of your business.

Thai's who lose face can go to extremes to regain face. I hope that he is not too bitter at losing his income source.

Im a little confused, how does setting your mother on fire regain face?

Maybe I dont understand face, but to me regaining face would be to do something to make people respect you more. The losing of face being the loss of respect?

I think the word face as I see it used in Thailand is simply a nice way of saying "revenge".

That being said why dont people just call it what it is, revenge?

And how does one REGAIN FACE? will the people at the office respect him more after he has burned them? Will they now bow to him and show him respect because he burned his mother?

Im confused because FACE seems based on what OTHERS think of you but the regaining or maintaining of it seems based on what the one who has lost it thinks.

Do Thais respect someone for "REGAINING FACE"?

Loss of face seems not to be through the commission of bad acts, but solely through being caught committing bad acts.

Elsewhere, I think of "regaining face" to be through an act of atonement and/or positive behavioral change. Here quite often, I have seen it taken to mean either revenge or forcing ones accusers to retract their accusations. Usually through threating behavior.

I think there's merit in the concept of "saving face" if that were to mean not rubbing someones nose in it through constant references to prior bad acts but if it's just meant to sweep something under the rug, then to me it's a concept in need of a trash bin.

Ah! the little boy wanted to sleep late and when he was told he could not he stormed out.

Babies, some of these Thai's need to grow up. Immaturity knows no limitations here.

As for all this farang's worrying about "losing face"...what a load of old terd. If somebody losing face is costing me money, i could not give a 5hit who loses it.

This farang is running a business not a creche.

rant spelling corrected

Edited by Thaipwriter

If he was coming in late with customers waiting you really had no choice.

The little terd did not have enough respect for your Farang customers so he was likely not being respectful on the tours either.

I am not a believer in family businesses ... seems to cultivate incompetence. The whole Thai ruling class system operates like a family business.

Yes, it was affecting our guests as well as everyone in the company. Everyone in the company saw him slacking off and figured that they could too. It was absolutely necessary to get rid of his AS5! He acts like someone half his age as far as maturity goes.

Update: So far, nothing at all has happened. My Mrs has control of him and she's keeping him out of the way.

The little terd did not have enough respect for your Farang customers so he was likely not being respectful on the tours either.

I am not a believer in family businesses ... seems to cultivate incompetence. The whole Thai ruling class system operates like a family business.

Yes, it was affecting our guests as well as everyone in the company. Everyone in the company saw him slacking off and figured that they could too. It was absolutely necessary to get rid of his AS5! He acts like someone half his age as far as maturity goes.

Update: So far, nothing at all has happened. My Mrs has control of him and she's keeping him out of the way.

I sincerely hope it stays that way for you. Please keep us updated as what your going through is a real issue and part of living as an ex-pat in Thailand with a Thai wife/partner/family.

• 7 months later...

Dear Galong,

I hate to be a doomsayer, but try to sort something out for the boy now. In my experience, Thais have verrrry long memories when it comes to slights and vindication. They can wait years to get revenge. And they do get revenge. The onus is on you, not your wife (real family). Try to find a way to pacify the lazybones. Remember, the devil finds work for idle hands.