Illegal Renting Contract ?

Kitsune

If the OP refuses to sign an agreement which calls for a 2 hour notice when what is 'reasonable' in Thailand is a 48 or 24 hour notice, then all he has to do is find a lawyer willing to take the case on terms the OP finds appropriate for the damages he can justify.

That is why I used the word 'might'. And in the USA, if a landlord offered a new lease to a tenant in good standing which was in violation of state statute and sufficient damages could be established, you probably could find a lawyer to take the case.

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Thai Civil Code:
Section 555. The hirer is bound to allow the letter or his agents to inspect the property hired at reasonable time

Once I have the contract, with his illegal demand in black and white, could I sue him?

Are you an American by any chance ?....and what exactly are you going to sue him for....inspecting his own property ?

If this is so objectionable to you to the point you want to sue, one suspects you need to find alternative accomadation

OP has already started this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701022-have-landlords-every-right-here-prying-harrassing/

I don't quite understand OP's barratry, and can only suppose the owner is as puzzled as I am and therefore suspects OP wants to hide something.

The best advice would be to move, instead OP wants to get the renewal contract, to sign it and then to sue the owner...

(i.e. the contract would not reflect all parties' wishes and therefore be concluded in ill faith).

Nope this time it's different, he has turn up without warning, and it's about the contract.

People told me it's normal for a landlord to come so many times.

Now I need to know if it's normal to come without authorization.

If you read the thread your should know that moving is not an option, and if it was, it is not something I wish to discuss here. It involves my own personal situation I do not wish to debate, the topic is on LEGAL OPTIONS and I would like you to respect that.

thank you.

Nope. It's the same one again. I had that French see before thing when I read it. KItsune, please for all our sakes JUST MOVE! They are all animal torturers around there anyway.

OP I know this isn't what you're asking but you can't tell us what to post or not, this is an open forum.

It seems your landlord doesn't trust you.

It seems to me that the reason for this is your "paranoid" attitude about his visits.

If you are open and welcoming to him about his visits for a period of time and he can see you're not doing anything he doesn't like on his property, you may well gain his trust again and THEN discuss with him a more reasonable notice time window.

Otherwise like the others it seems pretty clear you should move. I would suggest a place where the landlord isn't in the neighborhood, ideal would be a foreigner living overseas.

OP I know this isn't what you're asking but you can't tell us what to post or not, this is an open forum.

It seems to me that the reason for this is your "paranoid" attitude about his visits.

If you are open and welcoming to him about his visits for a period of time and he can see you're not doing anything he doesn't like on his property, you may well gain his trust again and THEN discuss with him a more reasonable notice time window.

Otherwise like the others it seems pretty clear you should move. I would suggest a place where the landlord isn't in the neighborhood, ideal would be a foreigner living overseas.

i'm not sure who put you in charge of my life all the sudden, or what gives you the right to pass a judgement on a situation you have no idea about, but thank you I do not need anyone telling how to make decision regarding my personal life.

The relationship with my landlord is not something I wish to debate here, it would be sterile and useless, I am only after knowing what cards are on my hands.

Moving is a personal choice that I will or not make but I have no interest in taking advice on that matter.

Thank you for respecting my private life

Edited by Kitsune

i'm not sure who put you in charge of my life all the sudden, or what gives you the right to pass a judgement on a situation you have no idea about, but thank you I do not need anyone telling how to make decision regarding my personal life.

The relationship with my landlord is not something I wish to debate here, it would be sterile and useless, I am only after knowing what cards are on my hands.

Moving is a personal choice that I will or not make but I have no interest in taking advice on that matter.

Sure your choice ----------stay and endure the landlords unannounced visits or move ------a personal choice !

Or even better sue the landlord ! smile.png

Best get a good lawyer and be prepared to pay huge legal / court costs !

If you can't agree with the owner rent a different place.

Please respect my privacy, I am only asking about LEGAL options and do not wish to discuss the possibility of moving here, which is a private matter.

Thank you

OK, you want some common sense advice and here it is:

It could be that the landlord is harassing you because he wants you out. This could be for the reason that he wishes to sell the property but without having to go through the legal process of evicting his sitting tenant, which is you, and can take up to 2 years via the Thai courts, or for other reasons that only you know about.

Firstly, without asking you for any personal details; is your landlord a farang or Thai? If a farang he may not legally be entitled to own the property and also breaking the law by running a property renting business. If this is the case, just by threatening him with legal action could act as a deterrent against harassing you any more.

If the landlord is Thai, than my advice is, that you tell him or her, you are not prepared to tolerate these intrusions into your home unless at least 14 days notice is given or over a period that can be negotiated between all parties concerned and even then it has to fit in at a day and time which is convenient for you.

Here are your options:

Explain that you are not prepared to tolerate these intrusions into your home unless at least 14 days notice is given or over a period that can be negotiated between all parties concerned and even than it has to fit in at day and time which is convenient to you.

Hire a lawyer for advice and take legal action if necessary. Going via the Thai legal system could take years and cost you a truck load of cash to establish a case against your landlord. And of course you have to be squeaky clean and above board yourself, otherwise if not, this could all go against you in court. Obviously I have no idea what`s in your renting contract and the clauses, so whether or not you have a legal case against your landlord has to be determined by what is written in the lease or rental agreement if you have one? If the landlord is contravening the terms of your rental agreement, than you have a legal case against him.

Change the locks on the property if your landlord has duplicate keys. Bluntly refuse to let him in unless approved by you or when convenient for you. If the landlord objects, then let him take legal action against you and you can counter summons. If the landlord breaks into your home or tries any abusive, threatening or heavy handed tactics, then call the police. In Thailand the trick is actually finding a policeman who will be interested.

Seek another rented accommodation elsewhere and move out.

Stay put, do nothing and tolerate this situation.

These are all the options you have and what you decide has to be up to your own discretion, because only you know of your situation.

Good luck and hope you gain a desirable result in the near future.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Love the way he thinks he has the right to tell people what to write here just because he started the thread - "private life" indeed. tongue.png

To those talking about it being difficult for a Thai landlord to get a foreign tenant out - wow kw THAT's naive.

Several of my friends have been "evicted" by thugs showing up with baseball bats, good luck using the rule of law here to stick up for your "rights".

And of course he's better off being a renter here, if he'd created an equivalent problem with a neighbor as a property owner he'd be in much worse shape.

Edited by wym

Of course the OP has rights; that is why there is a Civil Code of Thailand. Being able to enforce those rights is another matter. If he has to move because the landlord insists on his signing a new contract that would violate the Thai Civil Code then he might try to claim damages. But that would require a lawyer that would take the case considering the amount of reasonable damage that could be claimed.

• Like 1

Love the way he thinks he has the right to tell people what to write here just because he started the thread - "private life" indeed. tongue.png

To those talking about it being difficult for a Thai landlord to get a foreign tenant out - wow kw THAT's naive.

Several of my friends have been "evicted" by thugs showing up with baseball bats, good luck using the rule of law here to stick up for your "rights".

And of course he's better off being a renter here, if he'd created an equivalent problem with a neighbor as a property owner he'd be in much worse shape.

What on earth are on about ?

You obviously have read the post, don't even have a clue about my situation and just want to disrespect me just because you are hiding behind an ID. You are assuming an awful lot of things which are simply false;

- I am not a HE I am a SHE.

- And no my landlord is not a thug who will send people with baseball bats around

- And no I don't create problem as a renter here, i am a very respectful tenant who takes good care of the property and always pay on time. And my very nervous landlord has renewed my contract after very thorough check of the property

If you want to TROLL please use someone else post

Edited by Kitsune

You obviously have read the post, don't even have a clue about my situation and just want to disrespect me just because you are hiding behind an ID. You are assuming an awful lot of things which are simply false;

- And no my landlord is not a thug who will send people with baseball bats around

- And no I don't create problem as a renter here, i am a very respectful tenant who takes good care of the property and always pay on time. And my very nervous landlord has renewed my contract after very thorough check of the property

and here why we have the answer as to the owners frequent visits....he fancies you...he wants a farang mai noi...all makes sense now

Sure your choice ----------stay and endure the landlords unannounced visits or move ------a personal choice !

Or even better sue the landlord ! smile.png

Best get a good lawyer and be prepared to pay huge legal / court costs !

Do you understand the meaning of "private"?

and here why we have the answer as to the owners frequent visits....he fancies you...he wants a farang mai noi...all makes sense now

You re not even coherent to yourself, last time you called me a HE, now you want me to be a "mai noi"

Do you actually mean MIA NOI?

How would we know that? Can't really tell from your picture (dog! 8-)

Wasn't talking about you or your situation there, just responding to the general notion that foreign tenants could expect to successfully use the law to enforce their rights. In some cases maybe, but IMO very few.

I think your landlord is nervous because of your reaction to his wish to continue to inspect at the drop of a hat.

Not to mention the attitude shown by your idea of "tricking" him by signing an unenforceable contract and then suing him, <deleted>??

I continue to maintain that you are creating - or at least contributing to - your own problems.

• Like 2

You re not even coherent to yourself, last time you called me a HE, now you want me to be a "mai noi"

Do we have anger issues or a school teacher by any chance...?.....your right...... Mia Noi...no way...whistling.gif

What an incredibly rude person you are...

• Like 1

I think your landlord is nervous because of your reaction to his wish to continue to inspect at the drop of a hat.

Not to mention the attitude shown by your idea of "tricking" him by signing an unenforceable contract and then suing him, <deleted>??

I continue to maintain that you are creating - or at least contributing to - your own problems.

Fortunately the topic is not about what you "think" and your previous post shows evidently your perception as being very questionable

Also the topic is about legal options

Do we have anger issues or a school teacher by any chance...?.....your right...... Mia Noi...no way...whistling.gif

And now personal insults

Fortunately the topic is not about what you "think" and your previous post shows evidently your perception as being very questionable

I'm afraid that aspect of the topic has expired long ago, you've quite clearly gotten all the answers on that, maybe you don't like those answers.

If you want to pursue that option, feel free I'm sure you'll find lawyers happy to take your money tilting at windmills.

Now to return to the real topic at hand - which you don't get to dictate anymore - have you thought about getting help for your anger management and control issues?

• Like 1

And now personal insults

What that you could never be a mia noi? Or do you think being called a teacher is insulting?

• Like 1

I'm afraid that aspect of the topic has expired long ago, you've quite clearly gotten all the answers on that, maybe you don't like those answers.

If you want to pursue that option, feel free I'm sure you'll find lawyers happy to take your money tilting at windmills.

Now to return to the real topic at hand - which you don't get to dictate anymore - have you thought about getting help for your anger management and control issues?

Fortunately you are not the judge of my topic life span

More personal insults?

If the OP refuses to sign an agreement which calls for a 2 hour notice when what is 'reasonable' in Thailand is a 48 or 24 hour notice, then all he has to do is find a lawyer willing to take the case on terms the OP finds appropriate for the damages he can justify.

That is why I used the word 'might'. And in the USA, if a landlord offered a new lease to a tenant in good standing which was in violation of state statute and sufficient damages could be established, you probably could find a lawyer to take the case.

Thank youvery much JL Crab this is very helpful

Fortunately you are not the judge of my topic life span

and neither are you my dear seeing as you are posting on a public forum, but maybe you can sue...wink.png

Why do you need to attack me personally?

I have no interest in battling words with you sorry.