Illegal Renting Contract ?

Kitsune

If the OP refuses to sign an agreement which calls for a 2 hour notice when what is 'reasonable' in Thailand is a 48 or 24 hour notice, then all he has to do is find a lawyer willing to take the case on terms the OP finds appropriate for the damages he can justify.

That is why I used the word 'might'. And in the USA, if a landlord offered a new lease to a tenant in good standing which was in violation of state statute and sufficient damages could be established, you probably could find a lawyer to take the case.

Thank youvery much JL Crab this is very helpful

IMO bottom line same meaning, just less direct as:

If you want to pursue that option, feel free I'm sure you'll find lawyers happy to take your money tilting at windmills.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a thought - maybe the neighbors have been telling him you're entertaining various male visitors and he thinks you've set up a brothel?

Now shaming

Not from me, I feel very strongly there's no shame in sex work.

• Like 1

Fortunately you are not the judge of my topic life span

and neither are you my dear seeing as you are posting on a public forum, but maybe you can sue...wink.png

Why do you need to attack me personally?

I have no interest in battling words with you sorry.

running the risk of sounding childish...you started it....thumbsup.gif

Here's a thought - maybe the neighbors have been telling him you're entertaining various male visitors and he thinks you've set up a brothel?

Now shaming

For anyone interested, the topic is about legal options face to landlord that wish to come and pay uncalled visits in one's house.

Thank you !

For anyone interested, the topic is about legal options face to landlord that wish to come and pay uncalled visits in one's house.

Actually I think you should open up a bit about your deep-seated anger and control issues.

To start with, why do you think you have the right to dictate what people say in a public forum? Just because you start a thread, doesn't mean you can control it. . .

Actually I think you should open up a bit about your deep-seated anger and control issues.

To start with, why do you think you have the right to dictate what people say in a public forum? Just because you start a thread, doesn't mean you can control it. . .

It's called staying on topic

Now shaming

Thank you !

and as stated on multiple occassions on this thread your legals options in the first instance is to consult a lawyer if you believe you have been wronged

Thank you !

and as stated on multiple occassions on this thread your legals options in the first instance is to consult a lawyer if you believe you have been wronged

And as stated on multiple occasion here, there are millions of other ways than lawyers to solve a problem with a landlord

• Like 1

Thank you !

And as stated on multiple occasion here, there are millions of other ways than lawyers to solve a problem with a landlord

tell you what give me just 10 of those millions then.. you are talking about sueing someone, so typically in cases such as this, legal representation would be required, inintially to determine if you even have case and secondly to represent you in the court.

More often than not, what is deemed lawful in or around your home country doesn't necessarily dictate that the same applies here.

Taking legal action (that's if any thai lawyer will take your case) will definitely sour the already far from rosy relationship with the landlord.

Best to invite landlord over and come to a compromise on paper.

somtam palah

Thank you !

tell you what give me just 10 of those millions then.. you are talking about sueing someone, so typically in cases such as this, legal representation would be required, inintially to determine if you even have case and secondly to represent you in the court.

Several have been mentioned on this very topic, if you look carefully you will find them w00t.gif

If you can't agree with the owner rent a different place.

Please respect my privacy, I am only asking about LEGAL options and do not wish to discuss the possibility of moving here, which is a private matter.

Thank you

OK, you want some common sense advice and here it is:

It could be that the landlord is harassing you because he wants you out. This could be for the reason that he wishes to sell the property but without having to go through the legal process of evicting his sitting tenant, which is you, and can take up to 2 years via the Thai courts, or for other reasons that only you know about.

Firstly, without asking you for any personal details; is your landlord a farang or Thai? If a farang he may not legally be entitled to own the property and also breaking the law by running a property renting business. If this is the case, just by threatening him with legal action could act as a deterrent against harassing you any more.

If the landlord is Thai, than my advice is, that you tell him or her, you are not prepared to tolerate these intrusions into your home unless at least 14 days notice is given or over a period that can be negotiated between all parties concerned and even then it has to fit in at a day and time which is convenient for you.

Here are your options:

Explain that you are not prepared to tolerate these intrusions into your home unless at least 14 days notice is given or over a period that can be negotiated between all parties concerned and even than it has to fit in at day and time which is convenient to you.

Hire a lawyer for advice and take legal action if necessary. Going via the Thai legal system could take years and cost you a truck load of cash to establish a case against your landlord. And of course you have to be squeaky clean and above board yourself, otherwise if not, this could all go against you in court. Obviously I have no idea what`s in your renting contract and the clauses, so whether or not you have a legal case against your landlord has to be determined by what is written in the lease or rental agreement if you have one? If the landlord is contravening the terms of your rental agreement, than you have a legal case against him.

Change the locks on the property if your landlord has duplicate keys. Bluntly refuse to let him in unless approved by you or when convenient for you. If the landlord objects, then let him take legal action against you and you can counter summons. If the landlord breaks into your home or tries any abusive, threatening or heavy handed tactics, then call the police. In Thailand the trick is actually finding a policeman who will be interested.

Seek another rented accommodation elsewhere and move out.

Stay put, do nothing and tolerate this situation.

These are all the options you have and what you decide has to be up to your own discretion, because only you know of your situation.

Good luck and hope you gain a desirable result in the near future.

She could always have the landlord killed or torch the property, although some people might deem either choice excessive.

When I was very much younger, I remember my landlord coming to collect back-rent from the boy next door after midnight while pissed, and then assaulting the young man. We threw him (the landlord) out into the street, and if we'd known the registration of his van we'd have phoned the police to try and get him lifted for drunk driving.

Generally speaking, though, he was a pretty fair landlord, and took us out for a pint from time to time. I don't recall whether the boys next door moved out or not. Anyway, I'm not sure if that case would form a suitable precedent, as bed-sits are quite different from apartments.

SC

If we could stay within law frame that would be great thanks

OK So far I had (beside moving out):

- Very interesting advice about whether to sign a contract that might bind me to allow my landlord to do as he pleases.

- Advices to invite him for lunch to negotiate the contract.

- Advices to retain a solicitor (the law being on my side) and not to retain one (pricey + no certainty that it does lead to anything)

Thank you for those, and keep 'em coming !

Cheers

Thai Civil Code Section 555 mentions 'reasonable' inspection time. If you feel that the new lease contains terms that could be deemed as 'unreasonable' and in violation of that provision of the Thai Civil Code, then you could decide to not sign the lease. If you wanted to consider legal action, you might then sue the landlord for the damages you incur in finding suitable new accommodations because, as the current tenant in good-standing, you were not willing to sign a new lease that would abrogate your rights under pertinent section(s) of the Thai Civil Code.

Best answer so far, thank you, this is really helpful thumbsup.gif

Does it mean that if I do sign it, i will lose the right to any legal deed?

One step at a time...

The Civil Code Section 555

Did you know that 5 is ha in thai... Which means hahaha

This is Thailand... The civil code is laughing at you and so are some of us who know that to live in Thailand, you cannot expect your countries laws and attitudes to law to have the same effect here. The law does not rule in Thailand. Fear and intimidation do....

if it bothers you that much, then move out. If your "personal" situation means that you cant, then make it so you can. The only logical thing stopping you is money.... So you must be bordering on broke.

Remember, you may play it legal, but a Thai may play it another way

• Like 1