Residency certificate and selling a bike on a tourist visa in Phuket

fatdrunkandstupid

Can any of you help me out with a couple of answers?

I have a motorbike in Phuket. My name is in green book.

I purchased it and did the transfer when I was on a 12 month B visa. I had to get a residency certificate from immigration to give to the transport office.

I now want to sell the bike bike because I will be travelling throughout Asia a lot in the coming two years and will not have time to use it.

I have read here on TV that the transport offices in some other provinces require the SELLER to also have a residency certificate.

However, from what I have read here on TV this is not the case here in Phuket. That is, at the Phuket transport office the (farang) buyer needs the residency certificate, but the seller does not.

So my first question:

Can anyone from here in Phuket, who has recently sold a bike that was in their name, confirm that they did NOT require a Residency certificate to give to the Transport office when SELLING their bike.

And my second question:

If for some reason Phuket transport office does require a residency certificate from me, is it possible for me to obtain one while on a tourist visa?

I still have a leased property in Phuket so providing proof of address is not a problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or information.

FD&S

Thanks Briggsy.

I was hoping someone had some personal experience here in Phuket.

I went down to immigration here in Phuket this morning to try and get an answer but it was a shambles...hundreds of people...only two (angry) volunteers working the help desk and a two hour wait just to speak with a immigration officer. Just hopeless...

I dont understand how you can buy the bike and get the green book when on a tourist visa.But i hawe lived in phuket before fore 15year and ewerything is possible when you hawe the money.But you can sell the bike,But you need to hawe the time at imigration.Sell the bike to a farang on touristvisa!!!Hawe many ho work at dive shoop ho need bikes

I dont understand how you can buy the bike and get the green book when on a tourist visa.But i hawe lived in phuket before fore 15year and ewerything is possible when you hawe the money.But you can sell the bike,But you need to hawe the time at imigration.Sell the bike to a farang on touristvisa!!!Hawe many ho work at dive shoop ho need bikes

I purchased the bike when I was on a 12 month B visa. When I sell it in the future I may be on a tourist visa.

To repeat the questions in my OP, and to keep this thread on track:

1. Does the SELLER of a bike need a residency certificate at Phuket transport office.

2. Can you get a residency certificate at Phuket immigration while on a tourist visa.

I have a leased property so proof of address for the Residency certificate is not a problem.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

Plan of action.

1. Go to immigration armed with a book and every copy of everything you can imagine, certainly rental contract, possibly copy of landlord's I.D. card. That seems to be the flavour of the month.

2. Try to get residence certificate and see what happens.

3. Sell bike regardless of whether or not @ 2. above you got the residence certificate.

4. See if Land Transport Dept will process the change of owner.

5. If 4. above fails try other documents, e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord or amphoe or police station. Ask for example letter so other agencies can simply copy and add their stamp.

Sometimes you need to try and fail to learn how things operate.

Plan of action.

1. Go to immigration armed with a book and every copy of everything you can imagine, certainly rental contract, possibly copy of landlord's I.D. card. That seems to be the flavour of the month.

2. Try to get residence certificate and see what happens.

3. Sell bike regardless of whether or not @ 2. above you got the residence certificate.

4. See if Land Transport Dept will process the change of owner.

5. If 4. above fails try other documents, e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord or amphoe or police station. Ask for example letter so other agencies can simply copy and add their stamp.

Sometimes you need to try and fail to learn how things operate.

Thanks Briggsy good advice, however the bike is an expensive big bike and thus potential (cash) buyers are thin on the ground....lots of dreamers though.

If I do get a farang buyer who has the cash, I don't want the sale to fall over because of some idiotic paperwork snag.

I bought my bike from the auction and got my green book while on tourist visa. As a matter of fact I'm always on tourist visa. Every year at this time I have to bring my lease to immigration to get my residence certificate (which is only good for the life of the visa - 30 days in my case) then go down to motor vehicles to renew my driver's license, at which time I also get my new registration for my bike. If one can be purchased on a tourist visa, I don't see why one could not be sold on a tourist visa. One can buy and sell a condo when on a tourist visa, correct? It should not be any different.

Try selling the bike through a dealer - I sold mine through a well known big bike dealer on the by-pass who deals in mostly Harleys (but does sell others).

They sell the bike on your behalf and charge you a commission on the sale - 3%.

They have better access to serious buyers - you will find that you get a large number of tire-kicking time wasters advertising through the normal channels.

They keep the bike, clean it, and can make sure it is in good order.

For a fee, which you can include in the asking price, they will do all the transfers for you when you do have a buyer - they will have a lot less trouble than you as they are in the transport office on a regular basis and know all the people.

P.M. me if you want further information, I have sold two Harleys through them, got good prices and each time sold within the month - they do however have bikes that have been there for years as the owners are expecting an unreasonable price. I did not buy my latest bike from them, I bought it new from BMW, so you don't have to buy from them to use their services.

p.s. for some reason I have not yet worked out as soon as you advertise on this and other sites a desirable big bike you get request after request for more and more pictures of the bike from Thai nationals - it does get tedious as they aren't even good at pretending they wish to buy the bike.

Try selling the bike through a dealer - I sold mine through a well known big bike dealer on the by-pass who deals in mostly Harleys (but does sell others).

They sell the bike on your behalf and charge you a commission on the sale - 3%.

They have better access to serious buyers - you will find that you get a large number of tire-kicking time wasters advertising through the normal channels.

They keep the bike, clean it, and can make sure it is in good order.

For a fee, which you can include in the asking price, they will do all the transfers for you when you do have a buyer - they will have a lot less trouble than you as they are in the transport office on a regular basis and know all the people.

P.M. me if you want further information, I have sold two Harleys through them, got good prices and each time sold within the month - they do however have bikes that have been there for years as the owners are expecting an unreasonable price. I did not buy my latest bike from them, I bought it new from BMW, so you don't have to buy from them to use their services.

p.s. for some reason I have not yet worked out as soon as you advertise on this and other sites a desirable big bike you get request after request for more and more pictures of the bike from Thai nationals - it does get tedious as they aren't even good at pretending they wish to buy the bike.

Thanks Paul, good tip.

I had my girl put the bike up on a number of Thai websites including dealfish. She has been absolutely flooded with calls from Thais blokes. Think 3-5 calls a day. But the first question any of them ask is what is the maximum discount. The bike is in pristine condition and has some imported high end modifications parts. All of the original parts come with the sale as well as the full service history, manuals etc. Oil changed every 1000kms blah blah... My asking price already ridiculously low...about 60% of the new bike price not including the modifications. I have just come to the conclusion that over a certain price...no Thai will have the cash to pay lump sum, and I have no intention of offering credit (some callers did ask by the way). I will PM you to get the details of your consignment sales bloke.

Cheers

FD&S

I have bought a new bike and second hand truck (a few months ago) on a tourist visa, no extra cash required just residency letter from immigration. Both green and blue books in my name.

I bought a second hand truck a few months ago and the seller DID require a residency certificate to sell the truck. In fact, it stopped the purchase going through for a few days, until he had the certificate. That was in CM.

Not sure any different for a bike?

Out of interest...what bike is it?

Edited by kjhbigv

I'd sold two big bikes and it's not a problem at all. Go to the transport department and take somebody who is somebody from this country.

Have to add that I sold my bikes in Sisaket, which is much easier. Wish you best of luck, there're many Phuket bikers I've met.

As far as I remember the Immigration will also issue any hotel as your address. Might be Haa reu.

Nothing is impossible here.-wai2.gif

-

Edited by sirchai

Chiang Mai imigration would not give me a residence cert on a tourist visa a few months ago - but they did last year. Seem to be no consistant rules here.

What was the residency cert for? I had the same thing the other day trying to renew my driving licence, forgot that I was on 30 day visa's and can not renew licence on 30 day visa's.

I'd sold two big bikes and it's not a problem at all. Go to the transport department and take somebody who is somebody from this country.

Have to add that I sold my bikes in Sisaket, which is much easier. Wish you best of luck, there're many Phuket bikers I've met.

As far as I remember the Immigration will also issue any hotel as your address. Might be Haa reu.

Nothing is impossible here.-wai2.gif

-

Nothing is impossible here. Very true.

Last year one of my middle class thai neighbours was trying to sell his car. He asked me if I could put it on some farang websites. I did. Anyway a newbie farang on a tourist visa over in Nakon Sri Thamarat (of all places he was chasing a village girl)travelled all the way over here to Phuket and wanted to buy the car. He knew nothing about the residency certificate requirement and didn't have anything to give as evidence to apply for one here at the immigration in Phuket. Not to worry, my Thai mate dragged him (and me) down to immigration, and jumped to the front of the queue with the farang buyer in tow. The immigration officer asked if the farang had anything to show him where he lived in Nakon. The guy said no...nothing...

Then the immigration officer fired up google maps on his iphone and the farang was asked to point to where he lived on the map on the phone...and then the residency certificate was issued. Then off we went to the transport office to make the transfer...which went through with no problems...

Nothing is impossible here.

• Like 2

Re asking price:

Thais expect a discount and khongthaem (extras chucked in).

Factor that in to your asking price. So if you would take 120,000 Baht, ask for 140,000 Baht. I recommend you amend your advert today.

My take on the flood of calls from Thais the wife has received is this:

I think there is an industry out there that consists of Thais making shit bids on farang owned bikes and cars. As we all know occassionally a farang bloke gets jammed (girl, visa, offshore job)and has to leave in a hurry. Sometimes selling his bike at a discount. For example, over the last two years here in Phuket I have seen a couple of farang fire sales on ER6s. I know of two that were sold for under 130Kthb. The MV on those bikes was more like 180K. So if a somchai guy buys it and flicks it on at MV he makes 50K...which the equivalent of 6 months salary for him working 6 days a week...JACKPOT

The other possibility is that Thai blokes with bike bikes often can't make the repayments and have to sell under duress. Perhaps Somchai when he reads my ad just assumes I am broke and desperate for money because why else would I sell a status symbol...

Thanks for all the infor provide so far. If you read this thread and have any further Phuket specific information to add please let me have it.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

FD&S

Chiang Mai imigration would not give me a residence cert on a tourist visa a few months ago - but they did last year. Seem to be no consistant rules here.

What was the residency cert for? I had the same thing the other day trying to renew my driving licence, forgot that I was on 30 day visa's and can not renew licence on 30 day visa's.

Cert was to register a bike. This time it would have been for a licence. Seems you can get a licence on any visa - just need the cert. Could have got one from consulate but at over £30 I figured they could stick their licence and I will continue to make do with the international one. As someone here pointed out, a visa run also resets the licence validity and my insurance states 'any licence'.

Residency cert can be obtained on tourist visa, and buying and selling of vehicles can be done on tourist visa/30 day landing stamp.

I only get these types of stamps/visas. I have never had any trouble buying or selling vehicles or obtaining a residency certificate

Residency cert can be obtained on tourist visa, and buying and selling of vehicles can be done on tourist visa/30 day landing stamp.

I only get these types of stamps/visas. I have never had any trouble buying or selling vehicles or obtaining a residency certificate

Thanks Ivan

Have you SOLD a bike or car at Phuket transport and did you need the certificate as the SELLER?

In the past I have bought and sold vehicles. For sure the buyer needs the certificate of residence (or WP or yellow Tabian Baan) for Transport Dept to register the buyer's address. But the seller should not need that sort of paperwork, but the seller does need a valid entry/exit stamp in their passport. But as we all know the way the rules are interpreted are at the whim of the processing officer.

I see no problem with the OP acquiring a Certificate of Residence from Phuket Immigration especially given he has some sort of proof of residence.

I bought a new bike a while ago. I have never sold a bike.

With the introduction of speed cameras, does the Land Transport Office have a form the seller fills in, in case the new owner doesn't transfer the registration, so you do not get fines in the mail?

I asked this very question the other day with a smart middle class Thai guy I know. He is a retired teacher and well connected in Phuket. I explained to him that in most western countries you have a form called "disposal or sale of vehicle form". You are required to lodge this form within 14 days. Its primary purpose is to ensure that the taxman gets any stamp duty from the sale, but it also protects the seller in case the vehicle is used for an illegal purpose.

Apparently they have no such form in Thailand. IF YOU KNOW OTHERWISE, PLEASE POST HERE WITH THE DETAILS OF THE FORM. There is a need for this type of form because, as everyone knows, people often buy a bike or cheap car, and keep it in the old name in the book, so they can do the runner after an accident.

In the absence of this form, I guess it is always wise to make a Bill of Sale with the buyer. Making sure that you also get a copy of his ID (if Thai) or passport (if Farang). Problem is to hold up in court any contract made with a Thai bloke must be in Thai language...so you will need a literate thai friend to help you prepare the contract.

You can buy blank car or bike sales contracts at some stores for 10 baht or so. However they are entirely in Thai.

<snip>

With the introduction of speed cameras, does the Land Transport Office have a form the seller fills in, in case the new owner doesn't transfer the registration, so you do not get fines in the mail?

It's up to the seller to complete the transfer transaction at the Transport Dept. If the seller just signs the paperwork without checking the buyer actually does the transfer and the buyer does not bother completing (to save paying the transfer tax) then the Transport will assumes that the old owner still owns the vehicle.

However when the new owner goes to pay the annual tax (assuming he bothers to do that) then any fines owning must be paid before the new tax disc is issued.