Thai version of sambal

bizzle

Prick Thai. Made with shrimp paste. Mostly a southern thing. The version in the pic is made from fish Pla tu. I think what you are seeking is made from shrimp paste. IMHO it is tastier than Sambal.

post-61267-0-75286800-1392560621_thumb.j

Forgot to to mention the name is Nam Prick Koong.

post-61267-0-98996700-1392561540_thumb.j

Edited by Gonsalviz

Prick Thai. Made with shrimp paste. Mostly a southern thing. The version in the pic is made from fish Pla tu. I think what you are seeking is made from shrimp paste. IMHO it is tastier than Sambal.

attachicon.gifPrick Thai pla tuu.jpg

Forgot to to mention the name is Nam Prick Koong.

attachicon.gifnam prick Koong.jpg

Well, Prik Thai is normal pepper, which is not (Indonesian/Malay) sambal. The closest thing to sambal is Naam Prik Phao (นำ้พริกเผา).

Nam phrik is the generic term for a chilli-based dipping sauce. They come in a wide range of regional variations. They vary in texture from watery with a few bits floating therein to paste-like.

Particularly well-known are nam phrik kapi (with fermented shrimp paste), nam phrik ong (a Chiang Mai specialty with tomato and pork), nam phrik tai plaa (with black, rotted fish guts), and nam phrik maeda (with extract of giant waterbug anal glands). Most such condiments are used as a dipping sauce for raw or lightly cooked vegetables.

Nam phrik phao is often translated as "roasted chilli jam". It's normally used as a cooking ingredient - not a dip. It's available in jars in every supermarket in Thailand.

Nasi lemak is rice with coconut milk to make it creamy. It can be served with a variety of vegetables and protein sources like egg, fish and peanuts and often eaten with a meat dish like fried chicken.

I can't think of a Thai dish off hand but you could try khao man kai which has rice soaked in pork or chicken fat.

I had wondered whether the OP's "something similar to lemak in Chiangmai" could have been a kantoke dinner - rice with a number of small dishes served simultaneously is vaguely like nasi lemak, and the location is right.

• Like 1

Thx guys

In actual fact sambal is more like a variation of nam prik pao, perhaps more fish in it though

The dish I got from Chang Mai which was similar to Nasi Lemak was actually from a stall in the market near the bridge. It was only in a small takeaway box but like AyG said it had lots of different condiments such as the pickle, sambal-prik pao and sliced cucumber aswell as a flavoured rice.

Personally I much prefer sambal but nam prik plaa is pretty good too

P.S Nam prik maeda looks insane!!!!

Edited by bizzle

Nam phrik is the generic term for a chilli-based dipping sauce. They come in a wide range of regional variations. They vary in texture from watery with a few bits floating therein to paste-like.

Particularly well-known are nam phrik kapi (with fermented shrimp paste), nam phrik ong (a Chiang Mai specialty with tomato and pork), nam phrik tai plaa (with black, rotted fish guts), and nam phrik maeda (with extract of giant waterbug anal glands). Most such condiments are used as a dipping sauce for raw or lightly cooked vegetables.

Nam phrik phao is often translated as "roasted chilli jam". It's normally used as a cooking ingredient - not a dip. It's available in jars in every supermarket in Thailand.

It depends. I know lots of people that use naam prik phao as a condiment (dip) to go with about everything edible. But indeed, naam prik is the more generic term. There must be hundreds of different types/kinds, with every region having its own variety. Very similar to the Indonesian sabal, really: every village has their own tradition and recipe for different sambals.

It's great stuff. I've come to love it and use it on most of my food, including eggs, potatoes, sandwiches, spaghetti and other western food.

Nam prik maeda looks insane!!!!

By the way, it's called "M(a)eng-Da". With the "ng"-sound, as that's short for "Mal(a)eng", meaning bug/insect.

Yup. Typed it wrong.

Maengdaa is actually short for malaeng daanaa, literally "insect plentiful in the rice fields".

The contents of the anal glands (only in the male - they're a sexual attractant) to me taste/smell like pear drops (ethyl ethanoate, or ethyl acetate as it used to be known). Not in the least distasteful - until you learn the source.

Have absolutely no idea of how to mimic the exact taste of Indonesian sambal and its influences inside whatever dish when you stick to what's immediate available around the Thai house. I guess I would start with trying to use properly grinded sun-dried chillis and stay away from nam prik as far as possible ;-)

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app