Kawthoung to Rangoon by Ferry/Air

harleyclarkey

Fantastic trip report, and some excellent information there - cheers for posting. thumbsup.gif

Fortune Express definitely the better option for the trip - foreigners nearly always get to sit upstairs in the "VIP" section.

Glad to hear you liked Myeik - its a great little town seldom visited by outsiders.

Any photos? whistling.gif

Nice report! Thanx a lot!
I wanna make visarun from Phuket to Ranong-Kawthoung on motorbike on 3rd March and stay in Burma for night or more (and explore all around!). But later will try to cross whole country :)

I wouldn't call it "very expensive" but it seems the hotel prices are more expensive than hotels of similar quality you can find in the heart of Bangkok, going off your description of them. Traveling in rural areas of Thailand that are similar to that you can get simple rooms much, much cheaper than that. Still, it's not a ton of money but I was a bit surprised by that.

great report,Thanks,

so in hind site with the air fare at $192 from Kaw to Yangoon, and having to go to Bangkok to get ur visa an than go back down south, was it worth it?

Seems that part of Burma is very expensive

For sure to see a country waking up with very few tourists around it is worth it. I can't imagine it staying innocent, if you like, for a lot longer. The prices here are a bit cheaper for the hotels and restaurants about the same than the North and West of the coiuntry. Our hotel in Kawthoung was $40 (decent enough but basic room..but maybe best hotel in town), Myeik $40 (poor hotel with no facilities at all and poor room, there are better) and Dawai (lovely new spotless hotel and for sure best in town) $40. Odd that $40!! I have found that restaurants haven't jacked up their prices like the hotels...some of which are scandelous.

We got our visa in Bangkok, then took a bus to Ranong and then the ferry to Kawthoung. All in all very easy. We stayed two nights in Ranong as we also liked this town.

We only flew the Dawai to Rangoon leg for $77 each.

Edited by harleyclarkey

Fantastic trip report, and some excellent information there - cheers for posting. thumbsup.gif

Fortune Express definitely the better option for the trip - foreigners nearly always get to sit upstairs in the "VIP" section.

Glad to hear you liked Myeik - its a great little town seldom visited by outsiders.

Any photos? whistling.gif

I have...loads! I took 2 hours of HD video and 1,350 photos of the whole trip. Memories...memories!

I will try to upload those for the trip but my new laptop is giving me hell with destination folders and user set up.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I was thinking of going but will now pass. The 45$ for tourists, 9$ for locals for the boat trip and the relatively

poor value of the hotels made the decision simple. Thanks again.

agree, just to much travelliing for 2 towns.

will fly Phuket-Bangkok- Manadaly

I styaed at the honey back in late 90's and think it was around $400 baht/night,

was in Kawthoung in jan and the hotel does not look like anything had been done since

Edited by phuketrichard