1 dead 6 injured in Pattaya Highway crash

Rimmer

1 dead 6 injured in Pattaya Highway crash

crash-2.jpg

PATTAYA:--On Sunday afternoon, Police and rescue workers were called to Highway 36 to deal with a crash involving an 18-wheel truck and a pick-up with reports of multiple persons injured.

At the scene, on the Rayong-bound carriageway were the two vehicles, an 18-wheel truck full of cement, driven by Khun Suwit aged 34 and the Isuzu pick-up driven by Khun Supachai aged 48 who was badly hurt and later succumbed to his injuries in Hospital.

A further 6 people in the pick-up, which was travelling from Bangkok to Chantaburi Province, were seriously injured and taken to Hospital. The group were reportedly on their way to visit a Mountain Temple when the pick-up slammed into the rear of the truck which was slowing down in preparation for a U-turn maneuver.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/118558/1-dead-6-injured-in-pattaya-highway-crash/#sthash.7FJfkuoX.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-02-17

Speed was obviously a major factor.

Perhaps also faulty break lights on the truck.

Many locals seem to have no idea how dangerous the conditions and other users are here on the roads. The result: Thailand is number 3 in the World for fatal accidents, and I cannot foresee them improving their driving any time soon. :(

Go slow, go safe, and make sure everyone in the vehicle has their seatbelt on before you start the engine.

Yes, and it also demonstrates the poor design of the roads here. U-turns everywhere, and many without even a turning lane, so you have a line of stopped traffic in the fast lane, Great Idea!

As for this accident, we will never know who was really at fault, the cement truck driver, not giving a turn signal, maybe no lights at all; or the pick up driver, that wasnt looking where he was going, and maybe speeding.

"As for this accident, we will never know who was really at fault,..."

Seems that you know more about the circumstances of the accident than the police investigating it who have already indicated that the pick-up driver was probably at fault.

"...the cement truck driver, not giving a turn signal, maybe no lights at all;"

Always good to see unfounded speculation getting into a thread.

Fakename hit the nail on head, U-turn lanes in the fast lane or even next to.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Popular misconception, it is not the fast lane, it is the overtaking lane.

There's always one smart arse.

RIP and a speedy recovery for the injured, but this is just another example of the poor driving standards demonstrated daily by nearly all the road users here.

Poor road layout as well; U-turn's in the fast lane is just one crazy piece of road management on the cheap!

And I doubt if the driver (now deceased) of pickup truck is included in national stats, as he didn't die at the scene. I don't think Thailand adheres to international standards of what makes a traffic fatality. It would be bad for Thailand image if the truth were known.

Your distinction in terminology may, in fact, be correct. But to quote Hillary Clinton, "at this point, what difference does it make?" A vehicle in the "normal lane" (I assume that it is not the "slow" lane, because the other lane is not the "fast lane") is doing 90 kph, and a pickup truck moves out and passes it doing 120 kph only to find a 10 wheel truck stopped in his lane (the "overtaking lane", aka the "fast lane") to make a u-turn. No matter what you call it, one or more people in the truck are going to die. And the problem is not just with unusually long 10 wheel trucks. The problem occurs frequently on Sukumvit from the Ambassador Hotel to south of Baan Amphur, and I am sure on many other stretches of road, where 4 or more vehicles are backed up onto the overtake/fast/faster lane to make u-turns. As Fakename correctly stated, it is a horrible and very dangerous road design that adds seriously to the mayhem on Thai roads.

Looks remarkably similar to the BMW...I guess it doesn't matter if a B 1M pickup or 3M Beamer, it's all the same when you slam into the backs of trucks at speed.

No BMW ever had a front bar or head lights like that, I know I sold BMW for many years.

OMGImInPattaya is referring to a similar crash involving a BMW 320 that happened two days ago the story is HERE

Regular random breath and drug tests on highways..but i just dont think the BIB are competent enough to conduct these also driving whilst texting and talking on mobile phones, just no computing matter going on

..coffee1.gif

Edited by fabphil

Here you have to forget the driving rules !

It is even dangerous to drive like that !

Defensive driving is driving arround as if the other cars are trying to hit you.

They will cut your line from every direction,panic brake in front of you.......

pretend to turn left (with the lights ) and turn right....

open their door the moment you pass them....

Don't feel safe with green lights !

cement trucks jumping out of the central reserve.....

So if you have an accident it is YOUR mistake !You are warned ,lol coffee1.gif

Was the 18-wheeler indicating ? was the 18-wheeler in his preparation to U-turn slowing down 1 KM from the U-turn opening ?

Was the pick-up driver using his mobile ? was the pick-up driver driving far too fast ? was the pick-up driver concentrating in the slightest ?

This is Thailand. Nobody cares. Just more fatality statistics.

Many locals seem to have no idea how dangerous the conditions and other users are here on the roads. The result: Thailand is number 3 in the World for fatal accidents, and I cannot foresee them improving their driving any time soon. sad.png

Go slow, go safe, and make sure everyone in the vehicle has their seatbelt on before you start the engine.

Good sentiments and please do not think I am in any way undermining your posting, but, there was the driver and a further six people in the pickup who were injured. Maybe there were even more passengers that luckily were not injured -- my Isuzu 4 door had only four seatbelts. If this was a kingcab, the likelihood was that it only had two seat belts fitted, one to each front seat.....

I've just had another look at the photo and see that this was a 4 door Isuzu G Max, so probably only four seatbelts for the seven ( plus ) occupants. If this vehicle was insured, by over-loading the vehicle with passengers the insurance company may well refuse to pay anything should a claim be made.

Edited by finnomick

Yes, and it also demonstrates the poor design of the roads here. U-turns everywhere, and many without even a turning lane, so you have a line of stopped traffic in the fast lane, Great Idea!

As for this accident, we will never know who was really at fault, the cement truck driver, not giving a turn signal, maybe no lights at all; or the pick up driver, that wasnt looking where he was going, and maybe speeding.

Many locals seem to have no idea how dangerous the conditions and other users are here on the roads. The result: Thailand is number 3 in the World for fatal accidents, and I cannot foresee them improving their driving any time soon. sad.png

I've driven most places in Thailand except for the South. It would be most unusual not to have a slip road for a U turn. Sometimes they are a bit short but

there is slip most times.

I don't believe Thai drivers, drive particularly fast. Keeping to 100/110kph on main highway and it will not often anyone will try to pass.

Just trying to get across the concept of 'slow on the left', but now you set us back, as overtaking lane is undefined.

Just trying to get across the concept of 'slow on the left', but now you set us back, as overtaking lane is undefined.

On highways, isn't the overtaking lane always the lane farthest on the right? If it's a two-lane carriage way then it's the right lane. I've been taught in Thailand that this right lane is for passing slower vehicles only. This was a surprise to me because in the USA, we don't have this concept. All lanes are considered just regular one to be used by all vehicles for normal driving.