Caretaker govt must explain scheme funding sources: Thai Democrats

webfact

RICE-PLEDGING SCHEME
Caretaker govt must explain scheme funding sources: Democrats

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party is calling on the caretaker government to make public the source or sources of the funds it will use to pay Bt4 billion a day to rice farmers, party spokesman Chavanond Inrarakomaltasut said on Monday.

The government is trying to pay to the farmers under the rice-pledging scheme as they are long overdue and the farmers are suffering as a result.

Chavanond noted that Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan had affirmed that the government would start paying to the farmers for the rice pledged from February 17 at Bt4 billion per day. The minister said he expected that the government would pay for the Bt30billion loan within 35 to 40 days.

The Democrat Party supported the caretaker government in its attempts to settle the overdue payments to the rice farmers but did not believe that the government could seek loans right away, he added.

"The government has to explain that how it will transfer money to the branches of the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) in the province to pay the farmers," Chavanond said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-17

• Like 2

Looks like yet another investigation for the NACC and the Constitutional Court.

These idiots keep dragging themselves into the crap.

I suppose they know they are all on the verge of being impeached and dissolved, so they don't care any more, they are attempting to claim back their 8 million lost voters from the north so they can regroup with another Thaksin led government.

• Like 2

The Democrat Party is not part of the government. Why are they owed an explanation about the rice scheme? The rice farmers are the party to this dispute and it is the farmers to whom the government owes an explanation.

• Like 1

I saw the news today the whole world weather is changing, London flood,Japan snow storm etc. This year the world market on commonduties will raise

including rice price as panic many countries start buying food stuff for stock piles. It's good for Thailand to sell of the rice.

The Democrat Party is not part of the government. Why are they owed an explanation about the rice scheme? The rice farmers are the party to this dispute and it is the farmers to whom the government owes an explanation.

They are Thai citizens, they, like every other citizen are entitled to an explanation from these rip-off artists, that have no regard for any law.

• Like 1

They are Thai citizens, they, like every other citizen are entitled to an explanation from these rip-off artists, that have no regard for any law.

Ah, so they are just asking as concerned citizens, nothing to do with exploiting the political situation at all.

I'm glad they have at last embraced the rice farmers interests as their own.

Why, it doesn't seem all that long ago they regarded them as illiterate peasants and red buffalos.

Plus ca change.

Every Thai have the right to ask where the money come from. Whats wrong with you? Wonder sometimes how dumb a comment can be, and than anybody come and topple...facepalm.gif

Yes, I agree that every Thai citizen has the right to transparency from its government. But when the Democrats no longer have the balls to be part of the solution by being a part of the government, they have disenfranchised and disengaged themselves from the 'process'. Now that they are acting 'concerned' is totally disingenuous to me. Stay and fight or stay on the sidelines like they chose to do!

Every Thai have the right to ask where the money come from. Whats wrong with you? Wonder sometimes how dumb a comment can be, and than anybody come and topple...facepalm.gif

Yes, I agree that every Thai citizen has the right to transparency from its government. But when the Democrats no longer have the balls to be part of the solution by being a part of the government, they have disenfranchised and disengaged themselves from the 'process'. Now that they are acting 'concerned' is totally disingenuous to me. Stay and fight or stay on the sidelines like they chose to do!

The Democrats were not part of the Pheu Thai led coalition government, they were in opposition and constantly stonewalled by the Ms. Yingluck c.s. The government disenfranchised them you might say. It is only out of concern that even with a dissolved house the Democrat party is still asking the same questions they've been asking for more than two years. Till now the Yingluck government has only given conflicting answers, no answers, and lies.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

Could it be because they smell a rat, which by the way is smellable from a mile away ?

• Like 1

It's called checks and balances. The same function as opposition parties play in all democracies.... The issue being that PTP were too arrogant to accept that part of parliamentary process. Don't you remember? It was exactly that arrogance and avoidance that sparked protests in the first place. I don't agree with the way that Dems have played their hand, and could certainly have benefitted from better spin doctoring to basically say that there is no point in being in opposition if the government circumnavigate any calls for transparency anyway (instead they have illustrated themselves as cry-babies).

Every Thai citizen should have a right to know how THEIR tax money is going to be spent.

• Like 2

Yes, let's sweep state accountability under the rug. Governments run most efficiently when they don't have to be accountable. /sarcasm
  • Like 1

The Democrat Party have no credibilty and, after failing to contest the election, are a political non-entity. They blew the best chance they had in a generation of forming a coalition government with a popular mandate - there was no chance of them winning outright.

Ah, so they are just asking as concerned citizens, nothing to do with exploiting the political situation at all.

Why, it doesn't seem all that long ago they regarded them as illiterate peasants and red buffalos.

Plus ca change.

It's state monies, thus it is in EVERYBODIES interest, not just farmers, how this broke, not credit-worthy state is indebting the citizens.

• Like 1

Well currently they get 5 Billion a week up to a total of 20 Billion from the GSB, and so far nadda from other banks.

How do you stretch 5 Billion a week to pay 4 Billion each of those 7 days ?

The can be the Thai definition of the economic term .... "multiplier effect" ...

How to turn 5 billion into 4 billion a day for 7 days .... ha ha

Any one that pays taxes is a party to this scheme and has a right to an explanation.

• Like 1

Well currently they get 5 Billion a week up to a total of 20 Billion from the GSB, and so far nadda from other banks.

How do you stretch 5 Billion a week to pay 4 Billion each of those 7 days ?

The can be the Thai definition of the economic term .... "multiplier effect" ...

How to turn 5 billion into 4 billion a day for 7 days .... ha ha

It is easy to make a small fortune in Thailand; first, you start with a big fortune, then....

Well it is like this. the government is supposed to be open with all their dealings and bee accountable to all citizens be they Democrats poor farmers or dumb posters. It is there responsibility. I understand it is not red shirt democracy but that is just to bad live with it.

Plus ca change.

You obviously have no idea of what went on in the house sessions. So I thought I would reply to you along with another poster who thinks like you. Birds of a feather and all that.

How low does the Shinawatra's have to take Thailand before you decide they are not good for Thailand?

Policies are funded by taxpayer's money, so every taxpayer is owed an explanation. Learn about your democracy.

Every political party represents a group of the citizens. They are directed to protect their interest. Many political parties may not win even a seat, but they still have a voice. Because it's the voice of the people.

Every political party represents a group of the citizens. They are directed to protect their interest. Many political parties may not win even a seat, but they still have a voice. Because it's the voice of the people.

Every political party represents a group of people as long as they chose to participate in the 'system'. If they participate and elections and don't win a seat, then they are still participants in a multi-party system. There is a saying: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going!" After Parliament was dissolved, the Democrats chose to boycott. As much as you might deride and criticize PTP and Thaksin, they are the major party in a mutli-party democratic system. By choosing to boycott, the Democrats are abrogating their responsibility as a political party and disenfranchising their own members. Those who support Suthep and the Democrats decision to boycott are pinning their hopes on a coup in disposing of the PTP. How democratic! It isn't democracy, it's undemocratic political expediency. The easy way out is having a coup and resetting the clock. Thailand will only become a mature democracy when the people are willing to let the 'system' run the course and fully participate in elections. As you said, many parties did not win a seat but they were not afraid to participate. What is your choice? Fully participate or carp from the sidelines? Do you have faith in the democratic system?

And I might add, if Thai citizens want more transparency, then it should be part of a parties' political program to require an 'open' government. This didn't occur overnight.

Edited by pookiki

Would that transparency you speak of include the convicted criminal on the run the 'Duke of Dubai'?